Shift Light/New Tach - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Transmission / Rear End
\ Chattering Clutch? Transmission Trouble?
Rear End Woes? Splines Shot? Discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2013, 07:25 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Shift Light/New Tach

so tonight- being the noob i am- i dropped my bike while parking it ...no major damage except the windsheild broke in half (which i wasn't a fan of anyways...thought it was tacky looking) and the tachometer cover(which is plastic) cracked...sooooooooooooooo....now what?
i looked online looking for a cover and no such luck...so i started looking at new tachs...any suggestions on a new tach? anyone use a shift light? i thought this would be a neat addition to the bike as this is usually on higher end bikes...so a tach with a shift light? i never used a shift light but looks like you have to program them? are all of them like this? really need some info bc everything i have posted here is all i know about them lol i dont even know how to wire up a new tach..
HELP
thanks guys

James And Smaug the Vulcan
2006 vn750 red and black
*Future Mods*
Ear Shave
Spline Lube
Coaster-ED
Jet Kit
Replaced mirrors
Led Signal light replacements
Led Light Kit
Grill dress up
VN900 Seat Mod
Cruise Control
Back Off Brake kit

Just for starters....more to come I am SURE!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2013, 10:23 AM
Banned

I'd be more worried about replacing the windshield.
I can't ride without it. I don't even have a tach on my V Star. I think most people just shift by ear. So, IMHO a tach is just about no value, and a shift light is just kinda silly.
I'd say toss the tach or replace with a used one and spend your money someplace else. Maybe get one of them HID headlights. I hear they are awesome.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2013, 12:05 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Shift lights are one step up from training wheels. If you need a little light to tell you when to shift you should have bought an automatic.

Sorry, not trying to make fun of you, you admit being a noob so it's not your fault. My bike doesn't even have a tach. And if I had a choice it wouldn't even have a speedometer.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2013, 03:33 PM

I remember some of the 70's Honda CLs actually had a readout to tell ya what hear you were in...would keep me from going for 6th all the time though, lol...

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2013, 03:39 PM

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2013, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahsaysme2u View Post
so tonight- being the noob i am- i dropped my bike while parking it ...no major damage except the windsheild broke in half (which i wasn't a fan of anyways...thought it was tacky looking) and the tachometer cover(which is plastic) cracked...sooooooooooooooo....now what?
i looked online looking for a cover and no such luck...so i started looking at new tachs...any suggestions on a new tach? anyone use a shift light? i thought this would be a neat addition to the bike as this is usually on higher end bikes...so a tach with a shift light? i never used a shift light but looks like you have to program them? are all of them like this? really need some info bc everything i have posted here is all i know about them lol i dont even know how to wire up a new tach..
HELP
thanks guys
Sorry to hear your bike dropped.

I bought the cobra tach for my 800, you can check and see if they make one for the 750, really bright backlighting at night though. I may disconnect my backlighting on it cause it flickers now and there is no way to stop that it seems.

I do agree with knifemaker on the tach, you don't need one. As for lights-- - I don't know why higher end bikes have um, I have never seen um. Maybe the light is for the most 'power'? But once you get to know your bike and if you are not afraid of redline and rev limit you will be AMAZED on how fast a bike is.

Anyway my bike did not have a tach but I wanted to see how many RPM's I was hitting for rev limiter, cause I added a computer and can change rev limit and such, so I got the cobra one. There are other ones out there I think one is called boran if i am not mistaken.

A lot of people ride differently. I ride upper RPM range unless on the highway then I get it into 5th for fuel mileage. I do not like to cruise in a high gear at low speeds 1. luging the engine is no good. 2. These jap bikes LOVE RPM's. If you never hit rev limit (make sure your bike has one) it is awesome to do it and feel the power the bike has.... If you are in top gear at low speeds and you ever got to speed up you have to drop gears first (waste of time if emergency). This goes back to always being in the right gear.

Eventually you will know what gear you are in by the sound and feel of the bike. You asked for what kind of tachs you can get - cobra is one manufacturer, that I used and liked other then the fact the backlighting flickers now.

Good luck on your choice.

kenny
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2013, 08:58 PM
Concert connoisseur

Garage
I had a girlfriend back in 86 with a newer then ford tempo with a shift light, it distracted the hell out of me. i put electrical tape over it!

1986 vn 750 aka "Huck Farley"
42,000 miles
Rick's stator and rr
Tuxedo stator cover mod
pickup coil mod
dampers replaced
agm m/f battery
Harley sportster exhaust, degoated
Hid conversion
splines lubed
custom "vn750.com" grill cover
NGK Iridium spark plugs

acct to mcct mod https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17917

rekeying locks, https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7309

stator replacement walkthrough, https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11369
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2013, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

Garage
these were all superb answers..i especially like knifes comment about training wheels...i have been debating this in my head and a fellow rider all day...to get a new tach;to get a tach with a shift light;to just get rid of the tach altogether since i dont use it anyways lol
sooooo i dunno. i think i will just get rid of the tach altogether.. thank you all for your input..

2006 vn750 red and black
*Future Mods*
Ear Shave
Spline Lube
Coaster-ED
Jet Kit
Replaced mirrors
Led Light Kit
Grill dress up
VN900 Seat Mod
Cruise Control
Back Off Brake kit

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2013, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dariv View Post
I'd be more worried about replacing the windshield.
I can't ride without it. I don't even have a tach on my V Star. I think most people just shift by ear. So, IMHO a tach is just about no value, and a shift light is just kinda silly.
I'd say toss the tach or replace with a used one and spend your money someplace else. Maybe get one of them HID headlights. I hear they are awesome.
i stop reading after my last post on that thread....lol....what was the final decision? lol

2006 vn750 red and black
*Future Mods*
Ear Shave
Spline Lube
Coaster-ED
Jet Kit
Replaced mirrors
Led Light Kit
Grill dress up
VN900 Seat Mod
Cruise Control
Back Off Brake kit

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2013, 09:15 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Garage
A sportster tach will work as well, I got one for nothing from one of the members on VROC,unlike these others I would like to have a small shift light.I would like to shift before mine hits the rev limiter.....with a few exceptions,of course.Right Wib?

If the 750 has a limiter I never found it,they will wind out till they explode I would think,but the power curve starts falling off before reaching redline on most engines.

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X
Sponsored Links
Advertisement