Advice please...Drive shaft leak - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Transmission / Rear End
\ Chattering Clutch? Transmission Trouble?
Rear End Woes? Splines Shot? Discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-29-2012, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

Question Advice please...Drive shaft leak

Hello all, I was lucky enough to find a beautiful 92' 750with 5200 original miles. The factory original tires had some dry rot so I purchased new ones and took them to a local shop for mounting. Prior to this the rear driveshaft to my knowledge had not been cracked since the factory, and there was not drive lube all over my rear mag... I paid quite a bit of money for the eventual repairs ( see other post ) I took my own tires, and before it was lad done, I was out $1,000. the picture shows the area on the drive that was never wet before, where I swiped my finger to check the consistency of the glop thats on my mag and dripping on the tire. *Is this normal? Did I get poor work done, and what should be done to repair the issue? I'm a new rider, and although I purchased a manual and have restored and maintained my own classic cars over the years , I just wanted to leave what I thought were simple maintenance issues to a seasoned mechanic and enjoy my first year of riding....I don't think this should be happening on a repair a few months old- please advise, and once again-- suggestions for a trusted mechanic in the Cleveland Ohio area would be appreciated.

thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0108.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	5141  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-29-2012, 04:47 PM

Could be that a seal dried out...a 92 with only 5200 miles must have sat awhile...and you mentioned dryrot in the tires....I suggest to just wipe it clean, go for a short ride (or run it on the centerstand so's the rear turns), and see if you get more...seal replacement is easy, and the part is easy to find....could be too, that it was overlubed and thats the excess.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-30-2012, 01:50 AM Thread Starter

Smile

Thanks Wolfie!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-30-2012, 07:55 AM

Garage
That is the vent for the rear end. If the wheel was removed to change the tire, it is probably no big deal. some gear oil might have come out the top of the gear vent and then worked it's way down to the drain opening at the bottom. Mine did that when I removed my wheel to do the rear splines....I let the rear hub spin upside down and some fluid leaked out.

I would check the rear gear oil level just to be sure it is filled properly. Remove the large fill hole cover.........the oil should be just below the threads for the filler hole.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-30-2012, 08:40 AM

My bike has splatter (black) on the rear mag and it started shortly after the bike was purchased, new 2005. I had the seals replaced at the shop and it fixed the problem for awhile but it started again so I just try to keep it clean the best I can. My rear tire needs to be changed so I will have them replace the seals again.
From what I was taught ( aircraft maintenance ) when you disturb a seal by removing a part or opening something the seals should be replaced and not be reused. Not saying that the old seals would not work if reused, but when possible I replace them.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-30-2012, 04:32 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

When I got my 2003 it was used for one year and then sat for the next 2 yars. So I bought it in 2006. My rear mag looked like modern art with the black streaks coming from the hub. Opened it up changed the big O ring put Molly 60 in there and have had a clean rear wheel ever since.

2003 Wine/Gray VN750 bought in 2005 w/2000 Miles
LED Tail/Brakelight & License Plate Light;Chrome Inspection Sticker Plate ;Battery Charging Quick Plug;Kuryakyn LED Battery Voltmeter;Throttle Rocker Palm Rest;Optronics Driving Lamps;KnifeMaker Floor Boards;Halogen Headlamp Bulb;OEM Engine Guard;Iridium Spark Plugs;OEM Luggage rack;Stebel Air Horn;Handlebar Clock; Handlebar Thermometer; Sealed Battery; Marbled; Leather Grip Covers; Rectangular Mirrors

~VROC~ # 389
Sponsored Links
Advertisement