Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Heel/toe shifter

5K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Old Dog 
#1 ·
Thinking of trying to put a toe/heel shifter on the 750. Don't know the shift shaft rod size yet but was wondering if anyone had done this yet and if so, what bike did the shaft pedal come from and what mods did it take? May just go ahead and try to make some nice forward controls during these winter months useing the toe/heel shifter.

#2 ·
I designed a heel-toe shifter for the bike back in 2004, but canned the idea after reading reports of issues with the stock shifter not being able to handle getting "stomped on" by some owners. I felt the added force one could bear down with using the heel of their boot would cause problems.

Using an extender for a foreward control seemed much safer.

#3 ·
I have a fwd controls kit I'll be marketing soon. I may also add a floorboard option (fwd floorboard), and that would have a heel-toe...to reduce the strain on the shifter shaft, you need to reduce the leverage/pressure exerted on it....all Im gonna say.... ;)

#4 ·
Agree with the lighter preasure on the shifter but as I have aged some now I never force the shift on any motorcycle or ATV nowdays. If it won't go easily then something needs adjusting or rocking.

If I do go with forward controls it will be built around this set of pegs.

#5 ·
Aging some has more to do with it than you know Chuck...when ya get older, you cant control yer body like ya did when you were 20...you could hit the heel shift hard accidentally........in 40 years, I never missed a shift....I miss a few now and then nowadays (my ridin buddies dont know)....KC might...
Where'd them pegs come from ?...Im lookin for a generic peg to include with my kit....if its Kury, I aint interested....I'll make my own for less....

#6 ·
Yep, they're Kury. 3 different part no.s to be exact. But they are set for me to have darn near perfect comfort and leg position, specialy with wornout knees and ankles. Got another set of z shaped Kury's that I'm eyeballin' about puttin' a heel/toe shifter on part of it, mounted were the peg goes. Only problem now is all the complete vn900 shifter assembles I saw on flee-bay is $70 plus. Looks to be a perfect addition to the set up I have. I just want it to look as factory a setup as possible. Picky about my bitc....

#7 · (Edited)
Hey Wolfie, let me check the Kury pegs I took off, if they are good you can have them, I'll even take a pic or 2 and post, but it's sleet and rain mixed right now, so it will be later... I am sure I didn't trash them, but I don't remember if the part that broke was on the bar or the pegs...CRS again...lol...
PS-It had quit the mixed stuff for a bit and I went to the shed and believe it or not, found them and believe you can use them, pics later...

PPS-Here is a pic, the one on the bottom is the one that the bottom got scratched on when I turned the bike over, that is the worst of them, the other side is the best, just need a bit of cleanin...

Just let me know if you can use them, I have no use for them...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

#8 ·
If Wolfie doesn't want them I'd be interested.....

#9 · (Edited)
PM me a price on em Dawg...I can use "anything", lol, bein' dirt poor at least until Feb 2013....I can use em too to mebbe make cheaper copies from aluminum for my FWDs sets....I got a local metal shop closing down near here soon too, so wanna see if I can get a lathe, hammer and other stuff...
Come spring of 2013, if all goes well, "Wolfworks Customs" will be opening...:)
Then i casn make all kindsa custom stuff fer you guys...et al....

PS...my Mom loved that "item" ya sent me....I think its too cool for an 89 yr old woman to appreciate a thing like that....but then, she's my Mom...

#10 ·
I'll get'er in the mail shortly, I don't want no price or anything, I just want'em out of the way...
Hey, if you'll tak'em I'll even throw in a brand new unused VN750 OEM covered chain & lock W/2-keys for your trouble...lol... (if it'll fit in the box)...

#12 ·
Wolfie, they're in the mail, PM sent... BTW-I had the OEM lock & coated chain that I didn't want, so I sent it too...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.