sloppy clutch lever - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Transmission / Rear End
\ Chattering Clutch? Transmission Trouble?
Rear End Woes? Splines Shot? Discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Prowling Tiger

Exclamation sloppy clutch lever

So, recently, I took the clutch cover off to inspect the plates for wear. I went as far as pulling the inner cover and springs. After putting it all back together, the clutch no longer has tension. What did I do wrong and is it a simple fix?
Thanks

EDIT: The clutch still operates the mechanism on the left side which rules out bad cable. Is it possible I did not tighten the springs enough?

I only understand what I don't understand.

Last edited by blazblu82; 10-30-2012 at 03:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 03:35 PM

Clutch

Did you completely loosen the cable before you started? Both at the handlebar and in the middle? Then, did you follow the book when you readjusted the cable after putting the cover back on? Also, is the clutch lever floppy and just goes to the hand grip with no effort or is it positioned in about the right place?

No Brain - No Pain. I measure a man by the good he does for others, not his mistakes.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Prowling Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green1 View Post
Did you completely loosen the cable before you started? Both at the handlebar and in the middle? Then, did you follow the book when you readjusted the cable after putting the cover back on? Also, is the clutch lever floppy and just goes to the hand grip with no effort or is it positioned in about the right place?
No and No on the first 2. I have no book. The lever freely moves, not held in place. I can see the lever move the mechanism at the base of engine, so I know it works. I had read something about a push rod which hold tensions?? Maybe I dislodged it?

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 04:50 PM
ass hole extaordinaire

if you didnt loosen the tension at the lever before you pulled the clutch plate then when installing it all again you may have had a false tension feeling on the springs i didnt know to loosen the lever on my first attempt and when i put it all back together i heard a pop and the springs got loose so i had to tighten them more the outer cover to the clutch (the one the springs press against) should set flush with the face of the basket if it is sticking out past it then that is your problem slowly tighten the spring bolts until you feel and see the plate pop into position but be careful the spring bolt can break off

on my bike the springs look as if they are completely squeezed down

Quote:
Originally Posted by denny6006 View Post
Sucks getting old but it beats not getting old.

i got my helmet but it sure makes licking the windows a chore

cell phone number for anyone who needs it 214-516-1738

photobucket link
http://s1066.photobucket.com/user/newrider9984/library/
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 06:46 PM

Clutch lever

If you tightened the bolts in a criss-cross pattern you shouldn't have had a problem with them being to loose. Remember they are only tightened to 75-80 inch lbs. That is not very much. It is easier to over tighten them I feel than one might think. The pressure plate moves out about 3/8 of an inch minimum when you squeeze the lever. Less than that and your clutch springs are too collapsed to function.
You can get the manuals through this site (at least the Kawasaki ones). Try to get a Clymers at your first chance. You need to make sure both adjustments are completely backed off before you start to adjust the actual clutch. Then basically you set the adjustment at the handlebar to around to 3/8 of an inch away from the grip then move down to the adjustment lock mechanism the middle of the cable (where it is the hardest to get a) you will need 2 12 mm open end wrenches or tubing wrenches. Loosen the lock nut and turn the bottom half of the cable out from the "long" adjustment nut. Then start to turn it back together holding onto, or checking the clutch lever regularly. At some point you will feel the lever start to move. Keep tightening the initial cable until the lever is almost exactly where it was normally, then tighten the lock nut. Then you move up to the handle bars and finish setting the tension. You can use a nickle to set the free play in the cable (that is the gap between the end of the actual lever and the mount. Your clutch should be good to go. If you have problems getting into first you can either screw the handlebar adjuster out more or go back to the lock nut loosen it about 2 turns then tighten the lower cable some more.

Paste the links into your URL search bar and you will have some reading material with pictures.
http://www.mediafire.com/?mj7z818grhbdy3x

http://www.kawasaki-techinfo.net/sho...9&lang_code=EN

Keep us informed and remember to use Locktite on the clutch spring bolts . If you search for posts by me you will find one where I encountered a problem with my bolts being "stretched" when I was replacing my plates. Now I have new EBC heavy duty springs and their stock replacement clutch plates (although my original plates were fine). I love laying rubber when the light turns green.

No Brain - No Pain. I measure a man by the good he does for others, not his mistakes.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 08:46 PM
ass hole extaordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green1 View Post
I love laying rubber when the light turns green.
how does your rear tire feel about that lol

Quote:

photobucket link
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 12:11 AM Thread Starter
Prowling Tiger

I don't think cable adjustment is the issue here. I did do a cross pattern when tightening the spring bolts. The problem is their is no resistance with the clutch at all. I can frelly move it back and forth with zero effort. Is this an issue with the springs or something else?

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 12:17 AM
ass hole extaordinaire

like i said i had the same problem with my clutch first time i tore into it and the plate wasnt pushed in all the way

the problem is with the push rod it is improperly aligned take the bolts off and reposition the outer plate correctly

Quote:

photobucket link

Last edited by new rider 9984; 10-31-2012 at 12:19 AM.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 02:19 AM Thread Starter
Prowling Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by new rider 9984 View Post
like i said i had the same problem with my clutch first time i tore into it and the plate wasnt pushed in all the way

the problem is with the push rod it is improperly aligned take the bolts off and reposition the outer plate correctly
Oh, ok. Is there any sort of indicator on the plate to help with alignment?

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 10:53 AM

Garage
Sounds like that clutch rod isn't in properly. I had the same issue when i put the bevel gear back on. The rod goes into the bevel gear and has to sit just right.

"Show me a man who makes no mistakes, and I'll show you a man who doesn't do things." Theodore Roosevelt."

2007 Victory Kingpin
Current projects - 1986 VN750 & 1988 EL250
Sponsored Links
Advertisement