Sticky clutch - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Transmission / Rear End
\ Chattering Clutch? Transmission Trouble?
Rear End Woes? Splines Shot? Discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 03:27 AM Thread Starter

Sticky clutch

On my bike I just replaced the 700 engine with a 750 out of an 86 Vulcan with a bit less then 12K on her. I took it for a short ride this afternoon, and the clutch was acting weird. It's not fully releasing, and I did the normal checklist before I rode it. Made sure the release arm gap was lined up with the rib, adjusted the cable in the middle to take out excess play, and set gap at lever to 3MM. When I put it in gear it goes in smoothly with the normal clunk, but it wants to creep ahead, especially when I give it some throttle. It upshifts smoothly, but it don't want to downshift unless I'm almost at a full stop, and it's hard to get into neutral while idling. It engages really smoothly w/o the dreaded cg noise, and it doesn't slip. I put in some Delo 15W40 oil with a new filter, and when I changed the old oil there was nothing on the screen.
Could it just be from sitting? I plan on riding it some more while the weather holds out, was 67 today Anything else I need to check? I don't want to have to pull the cover and plates unless I have to only as a last resort.
Thanks all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 01:46 AM Thread Starter

It is slowly coming around. It releases fully when I'm stopped and no longer tries to creep ahead. And it downshifts a lot better now than it did this weekend. I have ridden almost 300 miles in the last 3 days and so far so good. The clutch is smooth as butter when I let it out from a stop, no CG noise, no chatter, slipping or grabbing. Still a little stiff from the 2nd to 1st shift though but not near as bad.
Would it help any to add a little seafoam to the oil right before I change it?
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 10:02 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
Add a whole bottle of seafoam to the oil, then ride for about 500 miles... it will loosen all that crud right up.. while youre at it, add some lucas oil to make everything real slick, some Marvel Mystery Oil to help soften up them seals, and how about some engine restore to get that compression ratio back up to brand new. Ohh and how could I forget that Slick-50... add 1 quart of Slick 50 to every oil change to keep your clutch running perfect and the stator cool.

Do not add anything to your crank case other than Engine oil... you run the risk of damaging your engine.

I think it is best if you just give your bike to some on less fortunate them yourself and get some redwings and then pound pavement.

Last edited by slimvulcanrider; 11-01-2012 at 10:04 PM.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 11:00 PM
2000 VN 750 Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimvulcanrider View Post
Add a whole bottle of seafoam to the oil, then ride for about 500 miles... it will loosen all that crud right up.. while youre at it, add some lucas oil to make everything real slick, some Marvel Mystery Oil to help soften up them seals, and how about some engine restore to get that compression ratio back up to brand new. Ohh and how could I forget that Slick-50... add 1 quart of Slick 50 to every oil change to keep your clutch running perfect and the stator cool.

Do not add anything to your crank case other than Engine oil... you run the risk of damaging your engine.

I think it is best if you just give your bike to some on less fortunate them yourself and get some redwings and then pound pavement.
What, no STP? I thought you were "ole skool"?

and always remember, "Ride until you rot!"
**Really not sure if the Big "C" is back right now
but having to face the fact that this is a lifetime routine
going forward. Five operations done and it still continues.

Tom
Vulcan 2000
New ride: 2009 Victory Vision Arlen Ness Signature Series
4507 miles
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 01:34 PM

...mmmmmm..."motor honey".....

...ya want REAL old school....RISLONE !!!!

post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 01:44 PM
ass hole extaordinaire

hell just put some normal honey in there bet the clutch wont ever slip on ya

Quote:
Originally Posted by denny6006 View Post
Sucks getting old but it beats not getting old.

i got my helmet but it sure makes licking the windows a chore

cell phone number for anyone who needs it 214-516-1738

photobucket link
http://s1066.photobucket.com/user/newrider9984/library/
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 01:59 PM
Old Truck Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimvulcanrider View Post

Can someone here moderate this moderator? LOL

02 honda sabre 1100
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 02:25 PM
ass hole extaordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by niterider View Post
Can someone here moderate this moderator? LOL
why should we he is giving tsmith just as sound of advice as tsmith gives everyone else personally i think slim is being kind considering

Quote:

photobucket link
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 02:34 PM
ass hole extaordinaire

tsmith i am going to risk expulsion on this and speak my mind

you are an idiot i have never heard of some one thinking that well i set it all to the book so its gotta be right

the manual give you a good starting point on where to set the clutch then you have to fine tune it

as i have already stated i have my doubts in you mechanical abilities but that is because you are an IDIOT

now for anyone actually worthy of the correct way to fix the problem well the one with the clutch that is here you go

if you have the clutch lever pulled all the way in and the bike is still trying to move on you then adjust the clutch at the lever so it will disengage the clutch more
then ride it if the clutch starts slipping under load adjust it the other way just a little until there is a happy medium

this is common sense guys

Quote:

photobucket link
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 04:10 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

deleted

1988 VN750[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by FlacoLove; 03-25-2013 at 02:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement