beyond fifth - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Transmission / Rear End
\ Chattering Clutch? Transmission Trouble?
Rear End Woes? Splines Shot? Discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 03:21 AM Thread Starter
ass hole extaordinaire

beyond fifth

so i saw a thread about a higher fifth gear and i guess that would have its advantages but i think fifth is just the right size for our bikes what i would like is to see what a sixth gear on her would do

it would leave you with the same jump in fifth but allow you to get her on up there over 70 mph without killing the fuel mileage and since the highways are now a posted 75mph in texas it would help on the long trips

could this be done can we shove a sixth gear in there?

i was thinking it might work if one was robbed from a six speed ninja

just snow balling if someone had access to a spare parts casing and the gears from a six speed to see if it would fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by denny6006 View Post
Sucks getting old but it beats not getting old.

i got my helmet but it sure makes licking the windows a chore

cell phone number for anyone who needs it 214-516-1738

photobucket link
http://s1066.photobucket.com/user/newrider9984/library/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 10:12 AM
Old Fart

Garage
Yeah. This has been discussed a few times here already, and oddly on just about every other forum with a bike that has a five speed gearbox...

As for the Vulcan, I think the basic answer was 6 speeds? NO. Taller 5th gear? Possible. But then if you throw enough money at it you can pretty much do anything.

I believe there was someone that posted about successfully altering the transmission....did a quick search but could not find it.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 10:19 AM
Crap, I WAS in 5th gear.

Wolfie was going to talk to a guy. Unfortunately, our bike was designed at a time when the speed limit in the U.S. was 55mph. The bottom line is that if you want to super-slab at 80-85mph (actual,) you'd be better off with a different bike. Just saying. Or you will just need to live with fuel economy in the 30's, which is still not that bad all things considered.

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 11:25 AM
Youngster

The bike screams for another gear on the interstate. I ride it pretty often to go to work, and I'll usually run at 80mph on our speedo, shows 5500 rpm. My average mpg last time was about 38 :/.

1990 VN750 Red and Black
Bought on 6/30/2012 w/ 13,230 miles
At ~20,000
To Do List: Paint Front Rim, Acct- mcct mod

Done: Adjusted Float Bowls, R/R Replace and Relocate, Coastered, Ear Shave, Front/Rear Tire Change, Replaced Final Gear Seals, Splines Lubed, Relay Coil Mod, Replaced Fork Seals, Rebuilt Starter
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 07:40 PM

Yeah...there is a guy on another Kawi forum, that if ya send him yer tranny, he raises the 5th (or 6th) gear ratio. He's only done it to ZNs though (Ie Concourse, etc), and actually, the cost wasnt bad if one decides to keep their bike awhile. I'll ask my buddy about it again, and see if he can come up with a contact link....if nothing else, the trans guy could be asked if he can do it to a VN...

post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-03-2012, 01:43 AM
Let's Ride!!

Garage
I think it could be done, but it would take a lot. It would need someone who knows how to design a transmission; design it based on the existing dimensions of the gear shafts and the space inside the engine; and access to a CNC machine to cut the gears. Plus, then you'd need to remove and open the engine, replace the transmission, and close it back up. I have no idea how much that would cost.

But, I'm sure it could be done.

'95 Vulcan 750 - Purchased 8/2003 w/ 21,124 miles - passed 50K 9/3/15
* VN900 seat * Daytona handlebar * Converted ACCTs to MCCTs * Relocated R/R * Drilled clutch basket * Coastered * Repainted *
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-03-2012, 02:13 AM Thread Starter
ass hole extaordinaire

just as i thought it wouldnt be easy but i see some are in agreement it could be done

one day when i have me one of those fancy 50 grand big boys i might just do some diving into it and see what can be done (day dreams flowing thru my head )

Quote:
Originally Posted by denny6006 View Post
Sucks getting old but it beats not getting old.

i got my helmet but it sure makes licking the windows a chore

cell phone number for anyone who needs it 214-516-1738

photobucket link
http://s1066.photobucket.com/user/newrider9984/library/
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-03-2012, 09:24 AM
Old Truck Junkie

Sounds like to me that it will still be a five speed trans. But it will have a tall fifth speed ratio. This will give it a big gap between 4th and fifth.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-03-2012, 11:45 AM

Just got back from a 680 mile ride where most of the cruising was done at 70 miles an hour. My tach was solid at 5G for most of that trip and I averaged 43 MPG. Love my vulcan for in town, but thinking that more CCs and weight would feel more stable at speed. Maybe a Mean Streak or VTX in my future...

Scott Morris
Oklahoma
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-03-2012, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Sounds like to me that it will still be a five speed trans. But it will have a tall fifth speed ratio. This will give it a big gap between 4th and fifth.
Exactly....and if we had a chain drive, one could just install a smaller diam rear sprocket, retaining the orig ratios, but every gear would then top out at a higher speed...would suit thise who ride hiway and long distance best, as starting out from first would be a lil tougher, not that the Vulcan is lacking the torque...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement