Can of worms - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Transmission / Rear End
\ Chattering Clutch? Transmission Trouble?
Rear End Woes? Splines Shot? Discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

Can of worms

OK I am going to de-glaze my clutch plates first, but I believe my clutch is going to need replacing. Accordingly, who has recenly replaced theirs and with what. I ride hard, no doubt about it so I want something good that will last. Recommendations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 08:23 PM
Old Fart

Garage
EBC Kevlar clutch kit with heavy duty springs. About 80 bucks from Dennis Kirk.

You can just wet sand (220 grit) the non friction plates (the all metal ones) as opposed to replacing them.

There are a few write ups here on the proceedure. Just make sure to soak the new plates in clean motor oil overnight.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 09:33 PM

Hmmmm....betch ya need to replace 'em.

Drill the clutch hub basket...see link below

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. $80.00!! that I can live with.

I kind of wonder if the PO's EMF auto clutch has side effects. I will not sell or trade it if it causes premature wear on the plates. 15,000+ is way too few miles to need to be replaced unless it was a real hard 15,000. It only slips under load from 2500 to red line in the low gears and above 50 - 60 miles an hour at speed on the highway. My H2 still has the original clutch assembly even after more drag races than I can remember. Plus the last time out she would bring the front 2 feet off the ground at 80 with just a downshift.

I'm already making a jig to hold the basket in my drill press. That mod makes so much sense and is probably something that would not have occurred to me for ages, it is one more thing that makes this forum great. Actually most mods on the site are actually really easy thanks to the previous work and documentation of other forum members.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-13-2012, 01:44 AM Thread Starter

I hate worms

I knew I was probably opening a can of worms when I decided to check/change my clutch and I was right. Yesterday the clutch was slipping so bad that I decided I had to do something if I was going to ride this weekend. I had already ordered and received my EBC clutch plates but was still waiting on the springs (I also ordered the basket wrench to since we will probably be doing my son’s bike later down the road). I figured I would just bite the bullet and pull the cover twice. Anyway as soon as I did pull the cover the first thing I see is one spring just about ready to fall out. The other four were only finger tight and two were out quite a bit. I figured this was probably the main cause of the slippage. When I pulled the pressure plate the first friction plate was put into the same groove as all the others, so I figured the PO maybe had put in a new clutch pak when he removed the EMF auto clutch. The friction plates looked really good and when I checked them they measured 2.9mm almost the same as my new EBC plates (2.93). Accordingly I cleaned up everything ran some 180 grit (that was what I had on hand) over the steel plates and put everything back together. When I checked the clutch lever it was like a rock which I expected.. I went ahead and adjusted it according to the book but it really never felt right. You can’t feel the springs compress. Long story short, I have taken it back apart reassembled the plates from the way the book says and back again and am now out of ideas. No matter how I adjust it as soon as you put it in gear, no matter how hard you pull the lever, you cannot get the clutch to disengage. Comparing it to my son’s I do not seem to be able to get the same range of travel at the rod as he does. Also when I tried the clutch with the cover off the pressure plate barely moves. Ideas?
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-13-2012, 08:47 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Check this about more clutch lever free play

https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1094

JM2001

" Loud Pipes Risk Rights "

2001 Vulcan 750
marbled
TOC upgrade on ACCT
Air/fuel mixture set to 2 1/2 out
rectifier relocated
splines lubed
iridiums
decals removed
upgraded mirrors
Pic up coil mod done
degoated
All LED lighting
Upgraded Mosfet rectifier
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-13-2012, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

Won't more free play at the clutch handle result in the pressure plate moving less and keep the clutch engaged more? As it is, it is almost like I have too many plates installed. I have watched all watched the videos by Roach (which are very well done and highly recommended) as well as done a ton of research on this site. Knifemaker indicated he installed his Kevlar plates all in the same location with no ill effects and I do not see any difference either way. The only thing different I have done was to make my own clutch cover gasket, which should not have ant effect on my current issue. The plates are well oiled and not sticking and the springs are are in acceptable condition. Before I tore it down all I had was slippage at speed or under application of power.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-13-2012, 01:27 PM
Old Fart

Garage
I don't have a shop manual handy, but there should be a value for setting the play in the rod that pushes the outer plate. I think there's a small ball that goes in there....is it possible it's missing?

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-13-2012, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

Release shaft

My first thought was something was missing because the Clymer manual says “Don’t lose the clutch push piece in the backside of the pressure plate.” Mine is in there rather tightly and does not just fall out I do not see any adjustment or setting for the release shaft or a place for a ball bearing, it just runs off of the rack drive and the slots have been aligned up correctly (several times as I tried different cable adjustments. The shaft is sticking out of the hub and moves freely so I do not believe it is bent. If there is a piece that fits over it I do not have it (or see it in any diagram). Also in Roach’s video the shaft seems to be the only piece that operates the pressure plate. The bearing and “push piece” as per Clymer) in the pressure plate are in place as well.

Did anyone ever discover the purpose of placing the last friction plate differently than the rest of the set. Strangely I found an extra pressure plate, push piece/beading, springs and bolts in with the extra parts given to me by the PO. This is good as when I was removing the pressure plate for the 3rd time trying to see anything odd one bolt broke off right at the washer. I really did not want to keep the Ace Hardware cheap zinc bolt and washer I used to get me by after drilling out the broken bolt.

Last edited by Green1; 10-13-2012 at 02:58 PM. Reason: spelling
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-13-2012, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

Pre-load clutch

I have determined a possible way to help with my immediate problem. Since I have tried putting everything back together several times the way according to the manuals and the various posts with no success, I think I will set some “pre-load” into the shaft. I have measured the amount the shaft protrudes into the housing with everything bolted up stock. by loosening the bolts slightly and resetting the release lever so that it maintains pressure and a constant position when I remove the pressure plate I can measure the increase in the effective length of the release shaft. I am starting off with an additional .060 and I can increase or decrease the spacing as needed. I hope that this will allow the clutch to release enough to perhaps burn off whatever is causing the excess pressure. My homemade gasket combined with Gasgacinch is working great. On and off now 4 times in 36 hours with no tears and no leaks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement