Drill the clutch basket! - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Transmission / Rear End
\ Chattering Clutch? Transmission Trouble?
Rear End Woes? Splines Shot? Discuss it here!

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 71 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

Drill the clutch basket!

Like many here, I have made many modifications to my bike. Most were simply "nice to do" mods...a few, like spline lube or AGM batteries are NEED to do mods.
It rained all weekend giving me plenty of opportunity to get rid of the "coffee grinder" issue that plagues these bikes. After $9 and a couple hours of work, the bike was ready for the road, but because of the rain, I waited.
I took the bike out today and it's like a gift....clutch was/is smooth as silk and no grabbing or slipping. I even tried to reproduce the "coffee grinder" symptom and failed. It became apparent this is a "NEED-TO-DO" modification and I highly recommend it.
Take time to view Roach's #14 & #25 videos that focus on this modification. I chose to use a 3/32" drill bit.
Most difficult part for me was getting something to hold the hub while removing/installing the locknut....rest was breeze.
So...get out there and drill the basket....you'll be glad you did.

EDIT: Someone on here has a real nice graphic (see post 3 below) showing the basket and hole pattern. It will help too!

The following pales in comparison to the videos, but it will give you an idea what needs to be done. Enjoy.

Tools Needed:
8, 10, 12, 17, & 30mm sockets
Inch and Foot lbs torgue wrenches
Something to hold clutch basket while you remove/install locknut
millimeter measuring device
1/16" drill bit & drill
Clutch cover gasket...Part number 11060-1088

Disassembly
Using 17mm socket, Drain oil
Using 12mm socket, remove right side exhaust stud nuts...let exhaust pipe hang
Using 8mm socket, remove clutch cover bolts and clutch cover
Using 10mm socket, remove clutch spring bolts & springs
Remove pressure plate
Remove friction discs and pressure pLates (note...the first pressure plate is offset by one notch compared to remaining plates & discs)
Using something to keep the basket from turning, use 30mm socket to remove clutch locknut & washer
Remove clutch basket
I used a micrometer to mark the grooves where I was going to drill. Starting at 5mm from outside edge, mark each groove incrementing 1mm for each hole (with 30 grooves, you should end up approx 4mm from basket flange on last groove/hole)
Using hole punch & hammer, tap each mark. Using 1/16 or 3/32 drill bit, drill the holes.
Afer drilling take special care to remove ALL metal shavings.

Assembly
Reinstall clutch basket, washer and locknut...tighten to 98 foot lbs
Reinstall friction discs and pressure pLates (note...the last pressure plate is offset by one notch compared to other plates)
Reinstall pressure plate, clutch springs & clutch springs bolts w/washers. Tighten to 78 inch lbs.
Reinstall clutch cover w/new gasket and clutch cover bolts....tighten to 69 inch lbs
Install new oil.
Congrats!

Last edited by VoIPDoc; 11-11-2012 at 11:21 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 71 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 09:22 PM
Just a regular guy

Thanks a bunch! if I decide to do this mod over the winter, I will certainly use your guide!

"Pain is weakness leaving my mouth! *&%^$ that hurt!"

Promo code for 10% off at leatherup.com..... 55634

===2001 Vn750====
New Chrome agm battery
Ears shaved
Coastered
Sportster pipes
R/R relocated
12v adapter installed
post #3 of 71 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 10:53 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
Graphic mentioned by VIOP DOc?

post #4 of 71 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 11:44 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Good work there.

I'll just say.... "Need to do" ?? Maybe for some. I'd rank it with relocating the R/R. The coffee grinder was never really annoying on my bike, and many others rarely suffer from it. No real proof it causes any harm.

But it's really good to know that there is in fact a cure.

I would then suggest that anyone that does have bad CG symptoms and is actually annoyed with it... to take the time to do this proceedure.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #5 of 71 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 02:08 AM

I have a question. Did you have to take the side cover off to remove the clutch basket?
I read in your post you only took the clutch cover off and then removed the basket.
If so, that would be a lot easier than having to remove the whole side cover.
Awesome write up BTW.
Does the mod help drain the oil from inside of the basket so that it don't pool up inside of there?
post #6 of 71 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 09:17 AM

^ No, just the clutch cover is needed to be removed to get to the basket. This is on my list of things to do, but since I only get the grinder once in a Blue Moon, it's not high on the list. Moving to Rotella 15w40 seemed to almost stop the "morning coffee" completely for me.

MCCT Mod
Pickup Mod
12 Volt Receptacle Mod
Memphis Shades Santa Cruz
Homemade Luggage Rack
NGK Iridium IX Spark Plugs
Harley Sportster Exhausts
Rotating/Flashing Tail Lights
170/80 Michelin Commander II
Saddlemen Highwayman Slant Jumbo Saddlebags
Bought 09/10 12.2k miles - 04/12 33.4k miles
post #7 of 71 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimvulcanrider View Post
Graphic mentioned by VIOP DOc?
Many Thanks Slim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
Good work there.

I'll just say.... "Need to do" ?? Maybe for some. I'd rank it with relocating the R/R. The coffee grinder was never really annoying on my bike, and many others rarely suffer from it. No real proof it causes any harm.
But it's really good to know that there is in fact a cure.
I would then suggest that anyone that does have bad CG symptoms and is actually annoyed with it... to take the time to do this procedure.
Until I made the change I would have agreed..."nice to do", but now that it's done, I wish I had done it earlier. It is a cure
To your point, I believe some bikes suffer from this CG more than others....mine was annoying....arguably dangerous

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSmith68 View Post
I have a question. Did you have to take the side cover off to remove the clutch basket?
If so, that would be a lot easier than having to remove the whole side cover.
Awesome write up BTW.
Does the mod help drain the oil from inside of the basket so that it don't pool up inside of there?
As CW-4 mentioned...just the cover needs to be removed and yes, it drains oil from the basket so the plates don't sit in a pool of oil.

Thanks to all for the kudos
post #8 of 71 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 10:03 PM

Garage
I did it on my project bike when I had the engine apart, even though the shifter was broken and I couldn't ride it to see if it even had the coffee grinder noise. I can't wait to get the engine back in and try her out.

"Show me a man who makes no mistakes, and I'll show you a man who doesn't do things." Theodore Roosevelt."

2007 Victory Kingpin
Current projects - 1986 VN750 & 1988 EL250
post #9 of 71 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 11:04 PM

I'm suffering from the coffee grinder syndrome. Mine will grab pretty badly from a stop. I found that out today.
I plan on doing the mod with a few others as I work on it this fall.
This winter, she will be torn completely apart. Painted and powder coated. All bearings will be replaced, and all seals. I'm thankful I have a garage.
post #10 of 71 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoIP Doc View Post
Using something to keep the basket from turning, use 30mm socket to remove clutch locknut & washer
What setup specifically did you use to keep the basket from turning? Tightening to 98 ft-pounds is a lot of torque to hold back, and I'm not sure how exactly to do this...

Thanks!!
Mark

2006 VN750
Tim Parrott Stator
Mosfet R/R
NGK Iridium plugs
Drilled Clutch Basket
TOC rebuilt ACCT springs
Splines lubed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement