Removing driveshaft with rear wheel off - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Transmission / Rear End
\ Chattering Clutch? Transmission Trouble?
Rear End Woes? Splines Shot? Discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

Removing driveshaft with rear wheel off

I finally got outside and determined that my splines are definitely shot-- diagnosis correct. I'm having trouble with the circlips holding the couplings in place (on the original and on the replacement shafts).

What is required to take the driveshaft out now that I have the rear wheel off? Does the engine have to come out or can I get it out another way?

I can't believe these clips are so tricky, I even bought the same Klein pliers mentioned in the spline lube thread but I just can't get them [email protected]!

Thanks

Matt

Matt
Passaic County, NJ
1994 VN 750
April 2011- 30K miles
TOC MCCT 4/2012
New-to-me extended backrest 5/2012
Tourmaster bags 5/2012
Replaced driveshaft coupler and final drive-- ignored the spline lube recommendation too long and got burned 8/2012
Back on the Road 9/2012
De-POOGSed 6/2013
NGK Iridium Plugs 7/2013
New AGM battery 4/2014
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 11:39 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Read this by Fergy
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17274

JM2001

" Loud Pipes Risk Rights "

2001 Vulcan 750
marbled
TOC upgrade on ACCT
Air/fuel mixture set to 2 1/2 out
rectifier relocated
splines lubed
iridiums
decals removed
upgraded mirrors
Pic up coil mod done
degoated
All LED lighting
Upgraded Mosfet rectifier
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, still unclear though...

Thanks for the reply. This is the procedure I have been following, I printed it our and have it in my toolbox and am following it page by page, that's how I got a far as I did with getting the rear wheel off so I could inspect the area and affirm that the splines are shot.

Because I am having trouble getting the coupling off of the existing driveshaft I was wondering if it would be an easy matter to just take the driveshaft off and replace the entire thing, I got a driveshaft with a good coupling for $20 but had only planned on swapping couplings.

I suppose I should restate my question differently: can the driveshaft be removed without having the engine out of the bike? If not, I am guessing the bevel drive unit must come off at a minimum because it doesn't seem that I can pull the driveshaft out from the rear (now that the wheel is off).

While trying to get the coupling off the existing shaft I pulled it off of the bevel gear (forgive me if I am using the wrong descriptions) but it won't come out completely, that tunnel it is nested in is part of the frame, no?

Thanks again for your help,

Matt

Matt
Passaic County, NJ
1994 VN 750
April 2011- 30K miles
TOC MCCT 4/2012
Tourmaster bags 5/2012
Replaced driveshaft coupler and final drive-- ignored the spline lube recommendation too long and got burned 8/2012
Back on the Road 9/2012
De-POOGSed 6/2013
NGK Iridium Plugs 7/2013
New AGM battery 4/2014

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 02:11 PM

Garage
I could be wrong, but the drive shaft will not come out of the frame tube from the rear. I am pretty sure you need to remove the coupling from the shaft in order to avoid an engine pull.....the coupling was designed to be removable for just such an instance.

Once you remove the clip, the coupling should slide off.....maybe not as easily as you think it should. you may need to pry it off.

If you are still fighting with the ring clip, maybe forcing it out and replacing it is better than trying not to damage the clip an re-use it.

hope this helps!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

Excellent idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc2dgq View Post
I could be wrong, but the drive shaft will not come out of the frame tube from the rear. I am pretty sure you need to remove the coupling from the shaft in order to avoid an engine pull.....the coupling was designed to be removable for just such an instance.

Once you remove the clip, the coupling should slide off.....maybe not as easily as you think it should. you may need to pry it off.

If you are still fighting with the ring clip, maybe forcing it out and replacing it is better than trying not to damage the clip an re-use it.

hope this helps!
That is a terrific idea, thanks for pointing out what ought to have been obvious...way too close to the problem to have seen it :-)

I have two couplers with two clips, as long as I end up with one good pair I am fine. As soon as I know the first one is good I can hack off the second with impunity.

Now, of course, while I have been staring at this I realize, too, that I should have planned to replace the brake shoes and such while everything is all apart but that might be a winter project. Now that I have a spare wheel, drum, etc. I can rebuild that after the season and swap it out in the spring. I really need to get some riding in pronto!

Cheers,

Matt

Matt
Passaic County, NJ
1994 VN 750
April 2011- 30K miles
TOC MCCT 4/2012
Tourmaster bags 5/2012
Back on the Road 9/2012
De-POOGSed 6/2013
NGK Iridium Plugs 7/2013
New AGM battery 4/2014
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 03:25 PM

Garage
"I really need to get some riding in pronto!"

Yesssir!! we keep talking about getting that group together...been waiting on you son!

Wolfie and I were even thinking of riding up there to help you get the bike back together and then you won't have any excuses....lol
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

Progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc2dgq View Post
"I really need to get some riding in pronto!"

Yesssir!! we keep talking about getting that group together...been waiting on you son!

Wolfie and I were even thinking of riding up there to help you get the bike back together and then you won't have any excuses....lol
Well, that's right neighborly of ya!

I made some progress today, I took the replacement driveshaft to Dad's and stuck it in the vice so I could control the angle and the lighting more readily-- the shop light provides much better illumination than a flashlight crokked on my shoulder.

I was able to get the replacement coupling off finally but I almost punched myself in the face when I finally got it off, but now that I know how it is done-- I don't think it would ever have come off without a good solid simultaneous yanking-- I think I can get the one off the bike and finally replace it.

The new (used) coupling looks very good and the teeth on the other gear look very much like the ones in the photo in Fergie's thread so I think I ay be back in business. The woman who has been distracting me from working on the bike also wants me to take her riding so I think I can bargain with her for some "time off" to concentrate on the sickle...and then we can take that ride!

Thanks for the help, the offer of help, and the encouragement.

Matt

Matt
Passaic County, NJ
1994 VN 750
April 2011- 30K miles
TOC MCCT 4/2012
Tourmaster bags 5/2012
Back on the Road 9/2012
De-POOGSed 6/2013
NGK Iridium Plugs 7/2013
New AGM battery 4/2014
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 02:58 PM

Brother KC...cmon up like ya said...guess where we're goin...git yer azz up here soon...Matts only 8 mins away....

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 06:53 PM

And ya Matt...please remove yer wheel the whole way, and check stuff inside...brake shoes dont cost much up at the Middletown shop....and like I keep sayin, lemme know....we got a ride coming up first Saturday of Aug....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement