Rear axle nut-- lefty loosey, correct? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Transmission / Rear End
\ Chattering Clutch? Transmission Trouble?
Rear End Woes? Splines Shot? Discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-24-2012, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

Rear axle nut-- lefty loosey, correct?

Greetings all,

After much procrastination I finally started to dig into the rear of the bike following my Memorial Day fiasco...based on descriptions of my problem and similar postings here it sure sounds like I didn't lube my driveshaft spline in time, with the bike on the centerstand and the transmission in first when I turn the rear wheel by hand I hear a very pronounced clicking just as I would expect (I'm told) if this was the case.

So from eBay I bought a driveshaft with a good coupler on it and a good final drive with a male gear in good condition that are waiting to go onto the bike once I get everything apart and confirm.

I followed the spline lube procedure up to the point of removing the rear axle nut with a 27 mm socket and breaker bar...but after 20 minutes of oomphing it doesn't seem any closer to coming out. With the interference from the left muffler I can only go 1/8 turn each time, would you expect it to take a considerable amount of time to come out?

I am eager for any pointers because right now I am kinda stuck.

For the folks who I owe photos of my new Tourmaster bags on the bike they have had to wait until this is done, then they go on and I post the pics, they just will get in the way until this work is done.

Thank you,

Matt

Matt
Passaic County, NJ
1994 VN 750
April 2011- 30K miles
TOC MCCT 4/2012
New-to-me extended backrest 5/2012
Tourmaster bags 5/2012
Replaced driveshaft coupler and final drive-- ignored the spline lube recommendation too long and got burned 8/2012
Back on the Road 9/2012
De-POOGSed 6/2013
NGK Iridium Plugs 7/2013
New AGM battery 4/2014
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-24-2012, 06:29 PM

Garage
Left is correct. you have to hold from both sides or it will spin on you.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-24-2012, 06:48 PM
'03 VN750 "Rosie"

I've had the rear off twice following Fergys write up. I just looked at my bike and there's nothing in the way of getting to the axle bolt. Put a socket on the left side (after taking the cotter pin out) use an extension and a 1/2 inch drive.

'03 VN750 "Rosie"
Purchased in June 15, 2010
Windshield
Lubed Splines
Lubed and Adjusted Clutch Cable, Throttle Cables.
Relocated Voltage Regulator
Brakes Bled
Luggage Rack
Lazy Rider Bag
Leather Saddle Bags
Legitimate Title!! (finally!) Aug 30, 2010
New AGM Interstate Battery Sept 15, 2012

2008 Hyosung GV250 (sold!)

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-24-2012, 06:59 PM
Model A Guy

Rear axle nut

If you take off the bottom shock mount nuts and pull them off the mounts on both rear shocks it will allow the wheel to drop down where the muffler wont be in the way. You will need to hold the other end of the axle so it can't turn.
Putting a board under the v-stand will give you more clearance and be sure to secure the v-stand to the front wheel with a rope so it can't fold up as you loosen the axle! The bike can fall over on you if you don't!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-24-2012, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

Thanks so far...

Thanks everyone, I followed everything in the writeup (board under the centerstand, strap to keep the centerstand from folding, etc) and just to make things even easier I removed the shocks entirely.

I don't know why I didn't check this but the writeup did not mention about the other side of the bolt so I am sure it was just spinning. Doh! It was so precise in every way that I thought for sure it would have been specified. When I was out there in the sun I had been out for several hours and had to take my glasses off because they were sweating off of my face, I should have looked closer.

It will have to wait for tomorrow night, after work, but I am eager to put Humpty Dumpty together again and get back riding!

Thanks,

Matt

Matt
Passaic County, NJ
1994 VN 750
April 2011- 30K miles
TOC MCCT 4/2012
New-to-me extended backrest 5/2012
Tourmaster bags 5/2012
Replaced driveshaft coupler and final drive-- ignored the spline lube recommendation too long and got burned 8/2012
Back on the Road 9/2012
De-POOGSed 6/2013
NGK Iridium Plugs 7/2013
New AGM battery 4/2014
Sponsored Links
Advertisement