Failed Splines - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Transmission / Rear End
\ Chattering Clutch? Transmission Trouble?
Rear End Woes? Splines Shot? Discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2012, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

Failed Splines

I have a 99 Vulcan 750 that had about 12,000 miles when I bought it. I didn't find this forum for a while and didn't lube the splines until I replaced the rear tire. It had about 17000 miles on it then. When I tore it apart the splines were dry and full of powered rust dust. As per this forum I cleaned them up and lubed them and put it back together. The splines had visible wear but I did not have the money to buy another shaft at the time. I have put about 1500 miles on it after the lube. Going to work last week I came to a red light and when I started to take off it didn't move. I could hear the drive shaft turning and the bike wasn't moving. I have not pulled it down yet I still have to haul it home. My question is will a drive shaft from a different size bike fit a 750 or does it have to be 750 shaft? ( I want to thank the people on this forum for all the help you have already given me on my bike.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2012, 11:47 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

I have never heard of another driveshaft and coupling that will fit.
I`m about 99.99% sure you need parts from a vn750.
The driveshaft itself may be ok. It is the female coupling held onto the driveshaft with an internal snap ring, and the male splines on the final drive that usually wear out.

You may have to buy both a drifeshaft/coupling and a final drive to repair your bike.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-09-2012, 12:03 AM
Sparky!!!

Garage
there is not another drives haft that will fit... there are a couple of part outs going on in the buy and sell section.. send out a couple pm's to them.. might save your self some cash that way.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-09-2012, 07:44 AM
Patriot Guard Rider

PM Sent.

1986 Black Kawasaki Vulcan VN750 "Black KAWK"
VN750 #9300 & VROC #33453

EMGO Handlebar, V&H Exhaust, Drop Shocks, Raised/Painted Fork, MeanStreak Seat, Tank Bib, ME880 Oversize Tires, Engine Guard, Custom Mirrors, Chris Products Turn Signals, Ear Shave, 150/42 Jets, PINGEL Fuel Valve, MCCT, Volt Meter, Shendegen R/R, AGM Battery, Coastered, .020 Coils, Relo Gauges & Headlamp, SilverStar Ultra, LED Flashing Brake Light, Center Stand Delete, WOLO Airhorn.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-09-2012, 09:05 AM
Giggity!

Garage
I have a shaft with good splines but no coupling if your interested. PM me, we'll chat.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

Thanks I am going to open it up tomorrow and I will figure out exactly what I need and get back to you.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 07:16 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

if it is the rear splines, then you will need a new (or used) coupling and a complete rear final drive gear case assembly with good splines on th pinion shaft, which mates with the coupler, and the ring gear, which engages with the rear wheel. It's the gearcase that is usually expensive.

It would seem from all the posts on here about it, that most of the Vulcan 750s ever made destroyed their final drive. That would help explain why there are so few still around after 22 straight years of production. Most people think that the only maintenance a shaft drive needs is to change the final drive gear oil. I used to think the same thing until getting a Vulcan 750. I found the thing about lubing the splines in the owners manual, and looked it up in the Clymer service manual. But according to the owners manual, it did not need to be done for several thousand miles, and I waited until the mileage specified in the manual to do it. They neglected to tell me that they had not done the spline lube at the factory, so by the time mine was due, I already had some spline damage. I was not happy. But I cleaned up the splines with a file, lubed them well, then did it every 10,000 miles thereafter. It made it past 80,000 miles, when I traded it.

Most motorcycle shaft drives are very poorly designed. There is no reason why they need maintenance, beyond changing the gear oil. The rear splines should be lubed by the gear oil, and the front splines should be lubed by the engine oil. Cars have always done it that way, so it has been proven to work.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 08:10 PM

I just went through the same thing. My coupler failed last summer and I just everything back together about 10 days ago. I was fortunate enough to find a driveshaft with coupling and used rear hub on eBay. I only used the coupling and final drive and have the driveshaft left over. Total cost including freight was about 215.00. There was no lube at all on the shaft. I also found this sight about 5 years too late. It now has the Honda Moly 60 on the splines and next will be replacing the cam chain tensioners soon. This sight has lots of great advise.

Sam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement