Floppy Shifter - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Transmission / Rear End
\ Chattering Clutch? Transmission Trouble?
Rear End Woes? Splines Shot? Discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Skype™ to Nettrain
Cool Floppy Shifter

Hi, new to this forum but not new to Kawasaki, have a KZ440, too. Anyway, I was thrilled to get a great deal on my 06 VN750, drove it for 3 days when the weather finally allowed and then drove it home and down my long bumpy-assed driveway, went to get on it an hour later and the shifter just flops! It is stuck in first gear and there is about 80 degrees of play on the shifter up and down and at least 1/4" in and out. I had to drive it in first all 8 miles to town, very sad. I've always liked my Kawasaki's but this is pretty scary if it's going to happen a lot. I've seen possible Pawl Spring on here but wonder if this is a chronic problem with bumpy roads and what anyone thinks about my issue? Thanks for any replies...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 04:51 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Could be the pawl spring. Bumpy roads can dislodge it. Check this thread
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthrea...ht=pawl+spring

Especially post # 10

JM2001

" Loud Pipes Risk Rights "

2001 Vulcan 750
marbled
TOC upgrade on ACCT
Air/fuel mixture set to 2 1/2 out
rectifier relocated
splines lubed
iridiums
decals removed
upgraded mirrors
Pic up coil mod done
degoated
All LED lighting
Upgraded Mosfet rectifier

Last edited by JM2001; 04-02-2012 at 04:59 PM.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

Just read it, thanks, now I gotta get this info to my mechanic...

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 05:27 PM
Member? ... check.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nettrain View Post
Hi, new to this forum but not new to Kawasaki, have a KZ440, too. Anyway, I was thrilled to get a great deal on my 06 VN750, drove it for 3 days when the weather finally allowed and then drove it home and down my long bumpy-assed driveway, went to get on it an hour later and the shifter just flops! It is stuck in first gear and there is about 80 degrees of play on the shifter up and down and at least 1/4" in and out. I had to drive it in first all 8 miles to town, very sad. I've always liked my Kawasaki's but this is pretty scary if it's going to happen a lot. I've seen possible Pawl Spring on here but wonder if this is a chronic problem with bumpy roads and what anyone thinks about my issue? Thanks for any replies...
This does not sound like a pawl spring problem. If it is just a pawl spring issue, the shift lever will not have 80 degrees rotation. This sounds more like a shift lever tie rod snapped or popped off. I hope not. Maybe the more experienced folks will chime in soon.

~~C8>

Last edited by ZCraggRatt; 04-02-2012 at 05:45 PM.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

Craaap...

Now I'm worried again, the thing definitely travels 5-6 inches at the end of the shifter. Still connected, tho, would it still travel that smoothly if it was broke?
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 06:22 PM
Member? ... check.

Garage
When my pawl spring got stuck, the gear shifter had normal range of motion and spring return, I just couldn't change gears. I was unfortunately stuck in neutral when it happened to me. I was really pissed. But the bike didn't care. First gear would have been great! The pawl spring acts more like a retaining spring than a tension or return spring.

The pawl spring is still the first thing to check (easy). As a matter of fact, it looks like if the pawl pulls away or falls off the change shaft, it might have the symptoms you describe.

But if the pawl spring area is ok, the next culprits are the gear change lever and the tie rod. Upload the service manual and look at the assemblies. The '06 isn't in there, but you can see the same in the '04.

Kanuck69 has a link to a service manual download in his signiture. It is a large file.

~~C8>

Last edited by ZCraggRatt; 04-02-2012 at 10:45 PM.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 03:24 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

It sounds like 2 different problems. It is not that uncommon for the shifter shaft to slide in and out quite a bit, especially if the bike has been dropped on the shifter. Something breaks inside the engine that allows the shaft to move in and out like that. Out is the proper position for it, and many people just install a spacer between the shifter and the case to hold it in that position. Pull the shifter all the way out, and see if it still has several inches of play in it. If so, you likely have a far more serious problem. There is a linkage rod inside the case that could have broken or come loose. Fixing it requires a complete engine teardown and splitting the cases. I hope that isn't it.

Your bike may have been the victim of a first time rider, or a bike abuser. Some riders will just stomp on the shifter, and that will usually cause serious internal damage. The shifting mechanism is a pretty delicate thing on most bikes.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Jerry, I hope that isn't it, too, or my great deal suddenly looks pretty crappy. It only has 10K on it but I did let a big friend of mine ride it and he may not be as gentle on it as me. I may have to reconsider letting anybody else ride my bike...
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 02:08 PM
Old Truck Junkie

There is a way to replace the shifter rod with out splitting the case. One member here did it, but I can't find the thread where he described the procedure. I will keep looking.

Here it is.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthrea...ht=shifter+rod

02 honda sabre 1100

Last edited by niterider; 04-04-2012 at 02:15 PM.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

Freaking awesome link, Niterider, Thanks!

'06 VN750
All Stock-10,700
Sponsored Links
Advertisement