4th or 5th gear?? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Transmission / Rear End
\ Chattering Clutch? Transmission Trouble?
Rear End Woes? Splines Shot? Discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-2012, 12:35 AM Thread Starter

4th or 5th gear??

I went on a 90-mile ride today and I noticed something I did a few times and wondered about it before. What is a good speed and/or rpm to go from 4th to 5th gear. I caught myself a few times coming out of the twisties that I would be at an easy cruise of 50mph and about 4800 on the tach then notice i was still in 4th gear. Should you always try to get on in to 5th gear or whats to high a rev for 4th and conversely whats too low for being in 5th

ps.. i did get to 100mph on one straight but don't tell anybody

the more i ride this bike the less i want to trade up

Pittsburgh Dave
2001 VN750...old ride
2003 VN1600.. new ride
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-2012, 12:42 AM
Daily Rider

Well, I have noticed that this bike isn't to picky about 5th gear. Mine likes it just as well at 40 as it does at 75.

2000 VN 750
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-2012, 05:59 AM

If if not on a very hilly terrain I will be in 5th gear once i reach about 3,500rpm in fourth, then i shift, I'd say dont go below 3,000 in fifth because it tends to "lug" lower than that if you really give it some throttle.

1986 Vn750
18,800 miles, and counting
Bone Stock
New cam chain tentioners
all fluids changed
Spline Lube
windshield
Engine Guard
B-stone S11 RWL-stock sizes
*wanted*
New grips

2001 Vn750
13,100 miles, and counting
spline lube
Bridgestone S11 100/90
Shinko 170/80
rear end oil change
aftermarket mirrors
windshield
otherwise all stock
*anticipated mods*
Engine Guard

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-07-2012, 09:51 PM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to OleDirtyDoc
i cruise around 40 in fifth and it pulls with no problem when i twist the throttle

ONE RATS ASS GIVEN PER POST
Support your local FREEBIRDS MC
1986/5 Vn700/750 Frankenfook cross eyed bitch "Mellisa Fayhe"
I am a BIKER and i'm proud.FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

lowered with progessive 412 10" shocks
rejetted for K/N Pods part#rc 2340
sportster seat

'I didn't lose my mind.i gave it away

BRING BACK WOLFIE."Peace and Carrots"RIP
"And I'm free...as a bird"John Lennon Free as a Bird
"I only carry when I have my pants on"Joe Robinson RIP aka Old Dog
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-08-2012, 12:01 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

The idea is to shift to the highest gear when you are at cruising speed because that saves you fuel and over time engine wear. However if you need to slow down then you downshift to 4th or 3rd, or lower, as necessary to maintain good control speed and keep the engine in a good power range. When you return to a steady cruise you shift up and eventually get back to 5th gear. I like to downshift when decelerating because it help my braking and give me power when I need it to speed up. I also downshift when entering a curve so I can power my way out of the turn.

Many of us have been looking for 6th gear when cruising at 60 or higher but unfortunately we don't have one.

2003 Wine/Gray VN750 bought in 2005 w/2000 Miles
LED Tail/Brakelight & License Plate Light;Chrome Inspection Sticker Plate ;Battery Charging Quick Plug;Kuryakyn LED Battery Voltmeter;Throttle Rocker Palm Rest;Optronics Driving Lamps;KnifeMaker Floor Boards;Halogen Headlamp Bulb;OEM Engine Guard;Iridium Spark Plugs;OEM Luggage rack;Stebel Air Horn;Handlebar Clock; Handlebar Thermometer; Sealed Battery; Marbled; Leather Grip Covers; Rectangular Mirrors

~VROC~ # 389
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-08-2012, 12:11 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittdave View Post
I went on a 90-mile ride today and I noticed something I did a few times and wondered about it before. What is a good speed and/or rpm to go from 4th to 5th gear. I caught myself a few times coming out of the twisties that I would be at an easy cruise of 50mph and about 4800 on the tach then notice i was still in 4th gear. Should you always try to get on in to 5th gear or whats to high a rev for 4th and conversely whats too low for being in 5th

ps.. i did get to 100mph on one straight but don't tell anybody

the more i ride this bike the less i want to trade up

You know, I never really paid attention to this. Basically you can ride in fourth up to redline, but seeing as there is a fifth gear you should shift into it around 5500 or sooner.... Unless you're passing a truck or something. Answer there is there is no set answer as it depends on the circumstance and....if you are trying to save fuel.

At the other end, V Twins make good torque at low engine speeds, so you can go 40 mph in 5th. I personally wouldn't go below 2500 rpms in 5th, but again it matters on the terrain,wind speed, and how well the bike pulls at lower rpms. Going up hill would be diffrent than going down hill.

After awhile you should be able to know what gear you are in by looking at your speed and just listening to the motor.

As a good rule of thumb, if you grab a bunch of throttle and nothing seems to happen faster, you need to downshift.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 07:40 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

The Vulcan 750 is not your typical long stroke v-twin, and is designed more for top end power than low speed torque. On a fairly level road, I won't go below 40 mph in 5th, and if it looks like I may be stuck at that speed for a while, I will usually downshift. Climbing a hill, you need to downshift even more to keep the rpms up, as you are putting a lot more of a load on it. When climbing significant grades (yes, we have those here on AZ), I try to keep the rpm at at least 4000, and use whatever gear is necessary to do that. If you let it drop much below that you are falling out of the powerband, and lugging the engine.

If I take off from a stop on a rural road, or turn onto a freeway on ramp, I usually shift from first to second at around 3000 rpm, then shift through the rest of the gears at 5000 rpm at full throttle, until I have gotten just a bit above the speed limit.

Though it is supposed to go faster, the best I have been able to get out of mine, tucked in, is an indicated 110-112. That's an actual 105. I have heard they will do 120, but mine won't.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement