Spline lube question - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Transmission / Rear End
\ Chattering Clutch? Transmission Trouble?
Rear End Woes? Splines Shot? Discuss it here!

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

Spline lube question

I just picked up an '02 VN750, introduced my-self in the newbie section several days or so ago. Thank you so much for the kind words.

I'm preparing to lube the spline and was wondering why the Moly 60? Wouldn't a high temp bearing or gear grease work as well? Would Chevron Ultra-Duty EP NLGI2 grease work? Just asking, I'm curious that's all.

In addition I had at one time an '89 VN750 that I bought new and sold 5 1/2 years later with 46,500 miles on the clock. Due to ignorance on my part never lubed the spline, never had a problem with it. Just lucky I guess.

Thanks for the info gang. And again, thanks for all the great write ups on the repairs and maintenance required to keep what I feel is a terrific bike on the road.

Rusty

Last edited by RustyFuryIII; 03-12-2012 at 12:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 01:27 PM

Moly is used because it stays on the gear teeth even when the carrier grease has been shot out to the sides of the casing
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 02:26 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyFuryIII View Post

In addition I had at one time an '89 VN750 that I bought new and sold 5 1/2 years later with 46,500 miles on the clock. Due to ignorance on my part never lubed the spline, never had a problem with it. Just lucky I guess.
Wow. Kinda passed off a ticking bomb there. Even moly lubed splines can tear up after 46,500 miles.

My only hope is you sold the bike to the chap here that made his own airfilter....

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
Wow. Kinda passed off a ticking bomb there. Even moly lubed splines can tear up after 46,500 miles.

My only hope is you sold the bike to the chap here that made his own airfilter....
LMAO
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 06:55 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swagman View Post
Moly is used because it stays on the gear teeth even when the carrier grease has been shot out to the sides of the casing
Swagman is right about the moly continuing to lubricate even when the carrier grease is gone.
The explanation given to me is that molybdenum molecules conditions the metal by actually penetrating the outer layer of metal molecules.

I`m going to take some flack for this, but I have a tube of CV joint grease that I am going to use for my spline lube soon. I`m sure it has moly in it, but don`t know what percentage. (I have found a couple of commercial greases (including John Deere) that contain moly, but only 3%, not 60% like the Honda Moly Paste.)
I will need a new rear tire in a few thousand miles, so it will be a chance then to check on the splines and CV joint lube again, well before the recommended 10 k miles spline lube.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html

Last edited by OlHossCanada; 03-12-2012 at 07:12 PM.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 07:26 PM
HAWK

Send a message via Yahoo to Ccspinner
Any grease will work its just that cheeper grease wears out faster so You have to do more often. If there was a fitting so you can just pump in more no problem. Good thing is it only take a table spoon or so. A tube of Honda Molly will last you along time.
Redo every rear tire change just to be safe.

Chad Falstad "Hawk"
Vroc #17649
2011 HD Ultra Classic "angel"
2001 Nomad 1500 Sold March 2012
2001 VN 750 "Sold June with 2008 with 21,000""Serinity"
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 07:58 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccspinner View Post
Any grease will work its just that cheeper grease wears out faster so You have to do more often. If there was a fitting so you can just pump in more no problem. Good thing is it only take a table spoon or so. A tube of Honda Molly will last you along time.
Redo every rear tire change just to be safe.

OL Hoss said
Quote:
I`m going to take some flack for this, but I have a tube of CV joint grease that I am going to use for my spline lube soon. I`m sure it has moly in it, but don`t know what percentage.
I will help you out Gordon,I lubed mine with waterproof High pressure bearing grease every time I changed the rear tire on mine and always had to clean old grease out of the splines,I think Chad is right,it is how often you lube them ,if you did a good job and got everything coated good as often as you should.

Mine looked like new the first time and the last time I did the job,And ask those who have ridden with me, my bikes get launched hard and if they were gonna strip my big butt and heavy right hand would do 'em in.Wib714 will vouch for me he has seen me hittin' it hard on the 1500,and it isn't treated any easier than any other bike I have owned.

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X

Last edited by denny6006; 03-12-2012 at 08:01 PM.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 11:29 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Properly lubed splines should easily outlast the engine, they should outlast 2 engines. For splines to last 46,000 miles without grease is almost unheard of on the Vulcan 750, but not that uncommon on many other bikes. You must of been one of the few lucky ones that got their splines lubed at the factory. I waited until 12,000 miles on my bought new '93 to lube the splines, and found them dry, with some damage, though no rust. They had started to chew themselves up (IMO, they should be made of MUCH harder metal) I packed them with grease every 10,000 miles after that, and they survived past 80,000 miles. Keeping them lubed seemed to pretty much stop the wear/damage, they didn't look much worse the last time I lubed them than they did the first.

I have used that 3% wheel bearing grease, and it worked just fine. But, I always relubed them every 10,000 miles without fail. The moly paste should last a lot longer. I am still doing mine at 10,000 miles, even with Guard Dog 570 73% moly paste, but that's most likely overkill. I am actually planning on waiting until my rear tire wears out to do it again, which will be around 18,000 miles. I packed everything with GD 570 last time, used about $20 worth of it.

Though it is usually the rear splines that fail, I still believe the front splines (in the U joint and on the output shaft) should be lubed too. This is the hardest part, as you have very little working room. Some say these are not as important as the rear ones, but I believe anywhere they is movement there should be lubricant.

IMO, from experience with an old '85 Goldwing with nearly 100,000 miles on it, that still had perfect splines, I believe part of the problem, if not most of it, with the Vulcan 750 splines, lies with the design of the splines themselves. The GW had much larger shafts, with much beefier splines. They were a lot deeper and wider, both the high points and low points. Each spline was much thicker than on the Vulcan. The GW splines looked a lot like the input shaft on a car transmission, while the Vulcan splines are a lot flimsier looking. The GW splines also fit together fairly tightly, with noticeably less play than the ones on the Vulcan.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike

Last edited by VN750Rider/Jerry; 03-12-2012 at 11:52 PM.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 11:27 PM
Concert connoisseur

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by denny6006 View Post
OL Hoss said

I will help you out Gordon,I lubed mine with waterproof High pressure bearing grease every time I changed the rear tire on mine and always had to clean old grease out of the splines,I think Chad is right,it is how often you lube them ,if you did a good job and got everything coated good as often as you should.

Mine looked like new the first time and the last time I did the job,And ask those who have ridden with me, my bikes get launched hard and if they were gonna strip my big butt and heavy right hand would do 'em in.Wib714 will vouch for me he has seen me hittin' it hard on the 1500,and it isn't treated any easier than any other bike I have owned.
I'll vouch for you, seen him stand it up a little on wet pavement! figure that one out?

1986 vn 750 aka "Huck Farley"
42,000 miles
Rick's stator and rr
Tuxedo stator cover mod
pickup coil mod
dampers replaced
agm m/f battery
Harley sportster exhaust, degoated
Hid conversion
splines lubed
custom "vn750.com" grill cover
NGK Iridium spark plugs

acct to mcct mod https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17917

rekeying locks, https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7309

stator replacement walkthrough, https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11369
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 02:17 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
Though it is usually the rear splines that fail, I still believe the front splines (in the U joint and on the output shaft) should be lubed too. This is the hardest part, as you have very little working room. Some say these are not as important as the rear ones, but I believe anywhere they is movement there should be lubricant.
Jerry, I don`t have anywhere near the wrenching experience you have, and practically no hands experience on motorcycles. I agree with you that anywhere there is movement there should be lubricant. Any type of drive shaft splines in my opinion should have little or no rotational free play or "slop". I believe the vn splines in new condition meet this criterion.

The rear spline connection between the drive shaft and the final drive are designed to slide back and forth, or "pump" in and out to compensate for up and down movement of the suspension and swingarm. This creates heat and wear potential, making proper and regular service and lubrication of that connection critical. However the expansion spring inside the space on the drive shaft/final drive coupling would tend to keep the drive shaft pushed tight against middle drive on the back of the engine. In my mind this equates to a minimum of fore and aft movement on the front drive shaft splines, and far less potential for wear than the rear splines on the same shaft.

I would check them the first time I serviced the bike, but would be comfortable greasing them with a white spray grease through a small red straw if I couldn`t get in with a popsicle stick or similar, to get Moly60 or Guard Dog 73% on them.

When I do my spline lube, it will be interesting to me to see the difference between the vn splines and automotive drive splines that I am somewhat familiar with.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9127
Sponsored Links
Advertisement