When is the clutch completely disengaged? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Transmission / Rear End
\ Chattering Clutch? Transmission Trouble?
Rear End Woes? Splines Shot? Discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

When is the clutch completely disengaged?

I have a couple questions. I just replaced the clutch cable on my bike and I am not sure if I have it adjusted 100% correct. I followed the clymers manual but I still unsure.
After replacing the clutch I started the bike and put it in 1st with the clutch in and the back tire did not spin, when I released the clutch the tire spun as expected. However when I pulled the clutch back in, the tire continued to spin until I tapped the back brake, then it stopped spinning. Is that normal?
My next question is, how can I be sure that the clutch is fully engaged when the clutch is released? Any help is once again greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 04:46 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher1630 View Post
I have a couple questions. I just replaced the clutch cable on my bike and I am not sure if I have it adjusted 100% correct. I followed the clymers manual but I still unsure.
After replacing the clutch I started the bike and put it in 1st with the clutch in and the back tire did not spin, when I released the clutch the tire spun as expected. However when I pulled the clutch back in, the tire continued to spin until I tapped the back brake, then it stopped spinning. Is that normal?
My next question is, how can I be sure that the clutch is fully engaged when the clutch is released? Any help is once again greatly appreciated.
Yep,sounds pretty normal,you never notice it but most Bikes will do that when up on a stand,you may have to readjust after riding a little and everything settles in .

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reassurance. Do you happen to know how to tell when the clutch is fully engaged?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 08:53 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher1630 View Post
Thanks for the reassurance. Do you happen to know how to tell when the clutch is fully engaged?
When the clutch is "engaged" you mean the clutch lever is out right? There should be free play at the lever...no matter where the bars are turned. You should have about 1/8 of an inch of a gap between the lever and it's mount before you can feel the lever start to put pressure on the clutch spring.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 08:57 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

If you have the recommended 2-3 mm gap for free play in the clutch hand lever before starting to feel spring resistance, I would think the clutch is fully engaging.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 01:30 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help. Now I just need to wait for this snow to clear out.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 05:30 PM

On every bike Ive ever had (and thats many), Ive always adjusted it so that its fully engaged with 2 fingers between it an the grip. That way technically, you can still grip the bars with 3 fingers and operate the clutch with the other 2. I learned that in my racing days, and still use it on the street.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 01:43 AM

I recently replaced my clutch and adjusted the cable. I always set my clutches on all bikes for 1/8" play BETWEEN THE LEVER AND THE PERCH. One way to tell for sure is to ride the bike straight down the road, pull in the lever until that one inch of play is taken up, then pull it just a fraction more. The clutch should disengage quickly. The rpms will suddenly go way up. DON'T hold it there, you don't want the engine to turn that fast with no load on it for more than a fraction of a second. As soon as you feel the clutch disengage, release it. Another way to check it is to have the engine in gear, with the clutch all the way in. Slowly let it out. It should be some distance from the grip before you feel it start to engage. If it starts to engage too close to the grip, it is not adjusted properly, and may not be disengaging completely while shifting.

I used to race 250 MX, 30 something years ago, we didn't use the clutch very often. On a 250 2 stroke there is virtually no engine braking, and the power is all right close to redline. At most we would just "fan" the clutch, but most shifting was done during that brief moment between when the transmission was unloaded, between when the engine was driving the wheel, and the wheel was driving the engine. Trying to shift an MX bike the conventional way was one sure way to wind up in last place.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 11:11 AM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
On every bike Ive ever had (and thats many), Ive always adjusted it so that its fully engaged with 2 fingers between it an the grip. That way technically, you can still grip the bars with 3 fingers and operate the clutch with the other 2. I learned that in my racing days, and still use it on the street.
You should adjust the clutch for the proper amount of free play regardless of position from the grip.

A very important thing all should do is adjust the clutch and then check the free play with the handlebars turned full left, right and center. Many times the play can change on how the bars end up bending the cable.

You might need to re-route the cable if the gap varies alot. Always adjust it so it does not fall below the reccomended amount at all bar positions.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 01:03 PM

You should adjust the "clearance" between the clutch lever and perch at the very outside edge of where the two come together. That will be toward the front. Either do the 1/8", or whatever it says in the manual. Main thing is to have some freeplay at all times, no matter what position the bars are in. If it is so tight that there is actually pressure on the clutch rod and springs, the clutch will wear out REAL fast. The Vulcan clutch has a very narrow engagement point, and just a hair beyond that free play is where it will engage and disengage.

I personally like as little free play as possible, because I prefer the clutch to engage at the outer limit of clutch lever travel. But there does have to be some. If you have the stock oem cable, and it is properly routed, the free play will not change while turning the bars.

Consider yourself lucky the Vulcan has a cable clutch. These are far superior to a hydraulic clutch. When I first got my Goldwing, I had to rebuild the master cylinder and replace the slave cylinder, and even after going through 2 qts. of fluid bleeding it, it still did not work right. I finally got a SpeedBleeder, which solved the problem. Older Goldwings had cables, and they worked just fine, as does the cable on the Vulcan. Cables can also be adjusted, and are cheap to replace. Hydraulic is just more complication and expense for nothing gained.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement