Identifying Final Drive Year Model - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Transmission / Rear End
\ Chattering Clutch? Transmission Trouble?
Rear End Woes? Splines Shot? Discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Identifying Final Drive Year Model

Is there a way to find the year model of the final drive? Couldn't get a picture tonight cause of the lens fogging. I have to drives here at home. One I just took off the bike(it was a replacement) and one that I just bought on e-bay that is supposible from a 2002 model. On the case casting, wheel side, just behide the swing arm mount and ahead of the wheel area, one model has a set of 2 wide by 6 high miniture squares with small dots and the other has a set screw and a raised part of the casting and without the squares. ( this is on the oppisite side of the housing of the fluid labels) Which is newer and what year did this change take place?

Last edited by Chuck A.; 02-12-2012 at 11:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 12:20 AM
Linkmeister Supreme

Don`t recall this question ever coming up since I joined the board in 2008.
Might be difficult to find an answer for you.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 01:25 AM
Old Fart

Garage
Guess we'd need photos of each, and then for everyone with different model years to report which their bike looks like.

Not really sure the point of this if the parts are interchangeable, unless you are trying to prove the seller is lying about the part coming off a 2002 model.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 06:05 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I'll try and get some photos up tonight. 18 degree here so the camera fogged when I took it outside. But yes, The two casting show there was a change at one point in time. I've had to replace twice now so when someone gives a year model I just would like to know that it isn't to better the sell. The one I bought said it was from a 2002 with 4700 miles model but the ones on ebay for the '88 model are identical to it, having the set screw on the backside. The one I am replacing was supposed to be from a '01 and it is different, having the 12 small squares with dots. The '01 was leaking fluid around the outer seal due to the needle bearing had wore a groove in the spool allowing movement. Bad bearing or excessive miles? And yes, seals were replaced 2000miles ago.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Three diffs are on ebay now. An '87, a '93 and a '02. They are have good photo's of the area that I was talking about. The '87 is different from the other two. If you go to look, the '02 has pictures that don't show until you click the arrow by the pictures. So I'm sure now that they changed somewhere between '87 and ''93, given thoise years are correct. The first diff I bought from a salvage yard was older than the '01 I was told it came from.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 10:21 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I'd be less concerned with the date of manufacture and more concerned about how many miles the unit had on it. My '89 had less than 7,000 miles on the clock when I bought it, but was almost 20 years old!

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 07:10 AM Thread Starter

Garage
If you have 21 year old factory seals and they are not leaking,,,,,, Fluids from years ago didn't have the protection for metal and the seals of the more moderate fluids, allowing more wear for moving parts and seals to dry sooner. But with all the "know how and better ways here" no one has an answer on what year and why did they change.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement