Shoulda' lubed up. - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Transmission / Rear End
\ Chattering Clutch? Transmission Trouble?
Rear End Woes? Splines Shot? Discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Noob.

Shoulda' lubed up.

So I destroyed my final drive, and my drive shaft a couple days ago and Im trying to find some good used parts so I can get back on the road, so far, Ive found a shaft for 25 bucks, and a final drive off of a '97 for 250 on ebay. What I want to know is....

A. Will the '97 final drive work with my '94?
B. Whats a good price for a used final drive?
C. Anyone on here got a drive shaft or a final drive they wanna let go for the right price?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 09:04 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Sorry to hear about your misfortune.
The 97 final drive should be fine in your 94. I have seen them for sale about a hundred to hundred fifty bucks used. It should not be a big deal to replace. Hope you are riding again soon!
Bronson

2005 VN 750
MF Battery
Plexistar windshield
.040 pilot jets.
Splines lubed 1955 mi.
Marbled
Iridium plugs
Reset pickup coil gaps.
Metzeler ME=880s
Shindengen MOSFET RR
V & H Cruzers
Degoated
Speed bleeders
MCCTs.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Noob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronson View Post
Sorry to hear about your misfortune.
The 97 final drive should be fine in your 94. I have seen them for sale about a hundred to hundred fifty bucks used. It should not be a big deal to replace. Hope you are riding again soon!
Bronson
Thanks. I think Im going to order a drive shaft tomorrow for about 25 bones. Others Ive seen are going for about 80 somthing. It is actually surprisingly simple to take the rear end apart, so putting it back in shouldnt be too difficult....just gotta do it soon before I forget what bolts go where. haha. I should have taken pictures of all the powdered rust that came out of the swing arm where the shaft connects to the pinion. It was gnarley.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 11:40 PM
Patriot Guard Rider

PM sent.

1986 Black Kawasaki Vulcan VN750 "Black KAWK"
VN750 #9300 & VROC #33453

EMGO Handlebar, V&H Exhaust, Drop Shocks, Raised/Painted Fork, MeanStreak Seat, Tank Bib, ME880 Oversize Tires, Engine Guard, Custom Mirrors, Chris Products Turn Signals, Ear Shave, 150/42 Jets, PINGEL Fuel Valve, MCCT, Volt Meter, Shendegen R/R, AGM Battery, Coastered, .020 Coils, Relo Gauges & Headlamp, SilverStar Ultra, LED Flashing Brake Light, Center Stand Delete, WOLO Airhorn.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-15-2011, 04:55 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicFnAllen View Post
Thanks. I think Im going to order a drive shaft tomorrow for about 25 bones. Others Ive seen are going for about 80 somthing. It is actually surprisingly simple to take the rear end apart, so putting it back in shouldnt be too difficult....just gotta do it soon before I forget what bolts go where. haha. I should have taken pictures of all the powdered rust that came out of the swing arm where the shaft connects to the pinion. It was gnarley.
Yes it is fairly simple to take it apart, I just wish they would have designed it so you could get the swingarm off without having to remove the goats belly. It's doing it every 10,000 miles when it becomes a pain. I think this time I may remove the front gearcase to get to the ouput shaft and U-joint, clean everything up real good, and lube the splines with Guard Dog 570 (73% moly paste) and try to get 20,000 out of it. I'll check the rear splines at 10,000, and see how they look. So far mine look new at 70,000 miles, but they have been lubed EIGHT times. Sometimes I think I would prefer a chain.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement