NYC Estimate: Final Drive Seal Replacement & Spline Lube - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Transmission / Rear End
\ Chattering Clutch? Transmission Trouble?
Rear End Woes? Splines Shot? Discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

NYC Estimate: Final Drive Seal Replacement & Spline Lube

The oil seal on my final drive was leaking gear oil: lines of gear oil moving around the rear wheel hub like hair pushed out from centrifugal force were clearly visible on the rear hub.

After doing the research here, it seemed practical to have the splines lubed with Moly 60 (and the U-joint sprayed with white lithium grease), since in the process of changing the two final drive seals the rear wheel will have been removed and access to the splines would be easily achieved during the oil seal replacement procedure.

I went to my local motorcycle shop in Brooklyn, NY and the following was their estimate (I'll include the part #'s and cost for those interested in ordering these parts to do the job themselves):

1) Repair: Front and Rear Spline lube, Spray U joint with lithium grease and replace final drive seals. RATE: 92.50/hr HOURS/QUANTITY: 6 hours AMOUNT: $555.00

2) PART: 671B25145 O Ring AMOUNT: $14.67

3) PART: 92049A 92049-1212 SEAL-OIL,S75 9510 AMOUNT: $22.35

4) PART: Moly-Lube PASTE(GREASE) AMOUNT: $13.78

5) PART: WHITE LITHIUM GREASE AMOUNT: $13.78

6) PART: Drive Shaft 80W90 OR 90W GEAR OIL: AMOUNT: $13.78

Before this estimate was given to me, I discussed the procedure with the head mechanic, going over points made in the vulcan verses, and gave her a copy of highlighted directions printed out from vn750.com.

I have not gone through with the procedure but have ordered all the parts. While I understand the mechanic's rate to be high, should this procedure honestly take 6 hours? And if not, how long should it take for a motorcycle shop to achieve the final drive oil seal replacement and spline lube? Is it possible that this 6 hour estimate comes from the mechanic thinking she needs to remove the entire final drive in order to hit the front spline with Moly Lube? Because I could just give her a toothbrush and directions from the vulcan verses on hitting the front spline with Moly and not having to take apart the whole sha-bang. Opinions?

I would do this repair myself but I live in industrial Brooklyn so doing repairs is difficult on the filthy streets. I'm also ill equipped to make such a repair at this time, and my priority this summer is to rack up some miles: so I took the bike to a mechanic.

Any and all opinions, or further directives to give the mechanic is greatly appreciated, and thank you in advance.

Wheel

PS: the information I learn here will ultimately inform my "Yelp" review of this particular shop in NYC. I'll link this site in that review, and forward it to the mechanic, as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 05:30 PM

Seems high to me. When my son bought new tires, the guy who mounted them lubed his spline for free. I do not it taking see 6 hours. Check around.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 05:43 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I am mechanically inclined, but by no means extremely experienced with working on motorcycles when I bought this bike.

Took me 2 hours to lube splines, and that is including the 30 minutes it took me to drive the rear wheel to the shop to have the new tire mounted.

My two cents- do it yourself, or swing by my place in NJ and I'll do it for ya/show you how to do it
Good Luck

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 05:50 PM

You are right. By the time the final drive is removed to replace the seal, the splines are wide open and waiting for some moly. The front area can be accessed through the rubber cover, so basically you are paying for the labor of replacing the seal. Paying for a full can of white lithium grease, unless you are keeping it, seems a little over the top too. I'd bargain with her and ask her to let you back there for 5 minutes while they have the final drive off so you can dab some moly in the collar and squirt some white lithium grease on the front u-joint. And see what she'll charge just for the seal job. Shoot, for that matter, you can roll it outside and fill the final drive with gear oil before you take off.
I agree it is a bit on the expensive side for a quote.

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 07:54 PM

I wouldn't pay over $285.00 to have it done by the shop. I would give them 2 1/2 hour labor, plus the O-ring and seal, and maybe $15.00 for the grease and oil ( they are only using a small amount) JMO

JM2001

" Loud Pipes Risk Rights "

2001 Vulcan 750
marbled
TOC upgrade on ACCT
Air/fuel mixture set to 2 1/2 out
rectifier relocated
splines lubed
iridiums
decals removed
upgraded mirrors
Pic up coil mod done
degoated
All LED lighting
Upgraded Mosfet rectifier
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 08:38 PM

I'm serious about bringing it to me to do it for you. I don't mind.

Besides, I already have the white lithium grease. ;P

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 09:54 PM
Concert connoisseur

Garage
for that kind of money you could take a ride to ohio and I'd do it for you and ride back and you would have a bunch of money left. take a short trip to kid chaos! its an easy job and youd be riding again in a few hours!

1986 vn 750 aka "Huck Farley"
42,000 miles
Rick's stator and rr
Tuxedo stator cover mod
pickup coil mod
dampers replaced
agm m/f battery
Harley sportster exhaust, degoated
Hid conversion
splines lubed
custom "vn750.com" grill cover
NGK Iridium spark plugs

acct to mcct mod https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17917

rekeying locks, https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7309

stator replacement walkthrough, https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11369
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 10:20 PM

Plus, you'll have learned how to do it next time!

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

I'm in. PM-ing KidChaos now: could be a great opportunity. Thank you all!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 05:48 PM

deleted

1988 VN750[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by FlacoLove; 03-25-2013 at 08:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement