All to look for, while replacing the clutch. - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Transmission / Rear End
\ Chattering Clutch? Transmission Trouble?
Rear End Woes? Splines Shot? Discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Heading to the DARKSIDE!

All to look for, while replacing the clutch.

Hello. I will be replacing my clutch soon to a Barnett Kevlar one. While inside the clutch area, what else should I be looking at for possible preventative maintenance or to upgrade since I will be inside the clutch area. I plan on drilling some holes in the clutch basket to stop the damn "Coffee Grinder" noise. Thank you in advance for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 12:53 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Not sure if there is anything to "look" for, but if I am not mistaken, to pull off the clutch basket to drill the holes you need to remove the right engine cover, not the clutch cover.... Which is what you only need to take off if you are just replacing the clutch.

So make sure you get the right gaskets.

You are replacing the clutch springs too right?

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Heading to the DARKSIDE!

I guess what I am referring to as the clutch cover ....is really the right side engine cover. Round 8" circular plate next to right front foot peg. Also Yes, The new clutch kit came with new heavier tension clutch springs. I guess with the heavier springs.....my clutch cable life will be shortened due to the added stress on the cable? I believe the only gasket I should need for this job would be the one for the right side engine cover? Thanks again for your input on this I just want to fix things right in the areas where I am taking things apart.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRET H View Post
I guess what I am referring to as the clutch cover ....is really the right side engine cover. Round 8" circular plate next to right front foot peg. Also Yes, The new clutch kit came with new heavier tension clutch springs. I guess with the heavier springs.....my clutch cable life will be shortened due to the added stress on the cable? I believe the only gasket I should need for this job would be the one for the right side engine cover? Thanks again for your input on this I just want to fix things right in the areas where I am taking things apart.
That's the clutch cover. The engine cover is what the clutch cover bolts to; has a hose nipple at the front for the lower radiator hose, and a curved chrome water pipe coming out the top to the engine. You'll need the gasket for the engine cover if you're gonna drill the holes; part # 11060-1090. 11060-1088 is the outer (clutch) cover gasket.

Seriously doubt the heavier springs will shorten clutch cable life, provided it's maintained properly in the first place.

Jim

J.D.
Kerrville, TX
'95 Vulcan 750 "Therapy II",
aka "Raggedy Ann"
'95 VN750 project
'03 VN800B "The Little Black"
'04 VN800E Drifter project
'93 VN1500A custom project
VROC #16185
GCVROC #33

Photo album: http://www.flickr.com/photos/leekayd/sets
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Heading to the DARKSIDE!

Hey thanks....I was looking at my service manual last night and realized what the right engine cover was......thank you for the part#'s that helps alot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement