Bike not shifting - Page 2 - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Transmission / Rear End
\ Chattering Clutch? Transmission Trouble?
Rear End Woes? Splines Shot? Discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011, 01:29 AM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by keltec View Post
BINGO! Therein lies the big question. I just got mine working again also and it was the same issue as yours. I am hesitant to put the cover back on until I know WHY this occured since I sure don't desire to have it happen again while riding. Should I go ahead and replace the spring? The diagram shows the spring with a curl to it where it holds the pawl in place but can't see that curl on the spring in my bike.

Any input that is helpful is requested. Thanks!
It sounds like the clip may be worn, since you can`t see the curl on the clip that you can in the diagram.
I would try to find a Kaw dealer with a new clip to compare with the old one, or just buy a new clip and install it.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Into the Darkness

Here's an update on the issue with my bike. Keltec sent me a PM asking about mine, and here's an update.

If the PAWL can still catch the gears and everything with no problem and are not rounded out take a look that the ARM SPRING since that is the piece that holds the PAWL in place. If it is missing or just worn out I would recommend replacing it. I need to replace the one on my bike, but sadly just figured out that problem. On the download repair manual its on page 153. The ARM SPRING is $6.98 at cheapcycleparts.com. Here's a link to the parts for that part of the bike. Change that arm spring and you should be good to go.

http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/model...semblies/74133

After replacing that arm spring put it back together, and you should be good to go from there.

1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
English Version

ACCT to MCCT conversion video
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18235

ACCT to MCCT Conversion Thread created by wib714
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17917

Proximity Construction
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 12:31 AM

The Pawl Spring is in good shape and no excessive play in any of the system. I think I just took it too fast on a road that would have challenged my KLR650 and it's long stroked shocks. The Pawl Spring just sits there doing it's job under tension and those horrid bumps just knocked it out of position. I got it all back together today late morning, no need for a new gasket at all, refilled the oil and back on the road avoiding all the bumps I can see.

IF it was possible to put a spot weld on the point where the spring and the pawl come together I don't think this would ever be a problem for anyone. I'll be thinking that one over this summer and I honestly have no doubt that it's possible. This bike has so many possibilities once all the over engineered obstacles are overcome. Beautiful (but agrivating) piece of machinery. LOL

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 05:41 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Nettrain
Hi Keltec, just wondering if you had any luck putting a spot weld on that spring. I have a long bumpy driveway and don't want this to happen to me again. I had my 750 for 3 days when it happened and now it's down until I can get someone to look at it.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 03:49 PM

This will be my third time fixing this damned pawl spring. It is honestly getting old.

'08 Road King Classic
'86 VN750 with the following work done to it, after sitting for 19 years:
John 8:44
REV 2:9
REV 3:9
www.voat.co
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 05:38 PM

Garage
Are you talking the horseshoe shaped spring that sort of sticks through the pawl? Looks like that would be pretty hard to knock out of place if it is seated properly with the curved hook well formed and seated completely behind the pawl (not just with the tip resting on the back, but really hooked behind it), and the square hook also firmly seated behind it's plate too. There would have to be enough front-to-back shaking to compress the spring several millimeters before it could come free!

1992 US-nonCA * tuxedo mod * r/r relocated

Vulcan slang for newcomers
Service Manual Download
Wiring Diagram + annotations * still undergoing revisions, but still more useful than the generic one. Let me know if you find mistakes or think something additional should be added
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 06:17 PM

Thorn,
Yes, it is the spring that pushes the pawl into the cog. The roads in Iowa are garbage, and it is like being in a war zone, so I hit a pothole today that jarred it loose. Each time I have pulled off the site glass, the spring is 100% compressed, and the pawl is shoved tight against spring. The spring is in place, but it doesn't push the pawl back to where it should go.

'08 Road King Classic
'86 VN750 with the following work done to it, after sitting for 19 years:
John 8:44
REV 2:9
REV 3:9
www.voat.co
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 11:05 AM

Garage
Yowsa!

1992 US-nonCA * tuxedo mod * r/r relocated

Vulcan slang for newcomers
Service Manual Download
Wiring Diagram + annotations * still undergoing revisions, but still more useful than the generic one. Let me know if you find mistakes or think something additional should be added
Sponsored Links
Advertisement