Just finished the spline lube! - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Transmission / Rear End
\ Chattering Clutch? Transmission Trouble?
Rear End Woes? Splines Shot? Discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

Just finished the spline lube!

Well, my bike went down in October with shot splines. I had it towed to a mechanic who told me I needed a whole new final drive, and it would be $1200. I grudgingly paid him around $100 for his diagnosis and took it home.

I got a lot of advice on here and in between jobs and other stuff finally got a chance to take the final drive off early this spring. It was easy since I have a cracked left exhaust pipe; I just took the last 18 inches of exhaust pipe off. Maybe now I'll get around to welding that back...

Once I got it off, sure enough, the splines were shot bad. I got a new final drive with good splines for about $120 on eBay. Then a month or so later I got around to getting started. That's when I noticed the teeth in the driveshaft coupling, where the final drive splines meet the driveshaft, were also gone.

I advertised on this forum, saying I'd pay $20 for a coupling and within ONE DAY, Kanuck69 emailed me and said he had one. He had trouble separating the coupling from the driveshaft but shipped it within a few days and sent it chock full of several tablespoons of moly grease, which was super nice of him. I ended up later having to clean all the moly out as I worked with that darn snap ring...

So, using fergy's guide, along with the shop manual, I worked and worked and worked on getting the old coupling off the driveshaft. That snapring, or circlip, is a beast. fergy is right, there's no substitute for the right tool. many hours later, I got the ring off by pure luck but there was no way I was getting it back on the new coupling without the right tool.

I went to Autozone and bought one for $12. It wouldn't fit inside the coupling. I took it back. I went to Sears. No luck. Ace hardware. No luck. Wal-Mart. No luck. Advance auto. No luck. Carquest. No luck. Home Depot had a $23 pair which had removeable tips. I took it home and it wouldn't fit in the coupling. Using wire cutters I snipepd off some long pieces of coat hanger to make longer tips. They were too fat for the holes in the circlip. So I heated them with a lighter and hammered them out on my vise like a blacksmith, then used a chisel to make the tips smaller. They fit the holes, but were too long to be stiff enough to manipulate the ring.

I drove an hour away and bought a $6 set of 4 miniature snap ring pliers at Harbor Freight. One of them ALMOST fit inside the coupling. Back to Home Depot for an $80 Dremel tool (I wanted one anyway) and I cut the edges of the snap ring pliers off. In the coupling they went and put the snap ring on in (I'm estimating here) 3 seconds.

Once the snap ring was on, I found out no one in town had any moly grease. The motorcycle guy at the Kawaski shop told me plain old wheel-bearing grease would work fine. I'd like to reach through that little hole i nthe phone and strangle him. He was going to charge me $1200 to put wheel bearing grease on there!

An hour away to another town I went and bought a tube of moly 60 for $13. Once that was done, I was about an hour away from the bike rolling. Finally, in late March, it's running! But it's raining.

Thanks for all the advice and help. This board is the bomb! Fergy's tips, kanuck69's rapid shipping and hospitality, and everyone else's contributions have really made it fun to be a Vulcan owner.

afield
2001 VN750
Splines Lubed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 05:46 PM

can you post a pic of those plyers? and the part number and where you had to grind them down?
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

Where I ground them

They just wouldn't quite fit inside the coupling, so I ground (or sawed) about 3 or 4 mm off the edges of it, where the hinge on the pliers makes them fat.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 06:20 PM

I bought two final drives off of ebay for $50.00. They didn't sell for what the seller wanted so I offered 40.00 plus ten for shipping. I love a little extra parts you never know when you are going to need them.

www.vulcanriders.us scuba
vn750.com scuba
vulcanforum.com scuba54220
vroc.org VROC # 32658 (scuba)
1984 kz750 ltd
1982 yamaha maxim 750
2002 nomad trike
1978 suzuki 250
1964 harley amf
1987 yamaha venture 1300
1984 honda silverwing
custom exhaust
custom mirrors
custom grips
custom floorboards
ride-on tire sealant
corbin seat and backrest
custom exhaust
willie & max saddle bags
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba View Post
I bought two final drives off of ebay for $50.00. They didn't sell for what the seller wanted so I offered 40.00 plus ten for shipping. I love a little extra parts you never know when you are going to need them.
yeah I sold my extra one .. way back when. before reading everything like a dork... I only got $15 out of it...LOL...and my luggage rack went for $40...I felt dirty for a long time...

scuba is now in my list for finding that final drive..LOL
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 08:45 PM

When I did my rear drive I ran into the same problem finding a snap ring plier to fit in the coupling. Then it hit me. The coupling was shot so I cut it off with a chop saw right in front of the snap ring and got it off easily. Putting the snap ring on with an awl and a small screw driver was easy. Just worked it around like putting a tire on. Took less than 15 seconds.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 01:04 AM

Garage
Hope you gave yourself a pat on the back for a job well done. Feels good, doesn't it.

"Show me a man who makes no mistakes, and I'll show you a man who doesn't do things." Theodore Roosevelt."

2007 Victory Kingpin
Current projects - 1986 VN750 & 1988 EL250
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 12:03 PM
Joker Member

Great to hear and thanx for sharing which tools worked !!!! great info!!!

1992 Vuclan 750 (((Free!!!!!)))
Brought her home on 3/16/11
Stock with 21000 miles
Tear down and clean up began 3/17/11, repainting and mods coming soon.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 12:29 PM
Giggity!

Garage
Hey, glad to hear everything worked out for you. Too bad you didn't salvage the molly on some ceranwrap or something. There was plenty there. But the jobs done so, congrats!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement