Just finished the spline lube!
Well, my bike went down in October with shot splines. I had it towed to a mechanic who told me I needed a whole new final drive, and it would be $1200. I grudgingly paid him around $100 for his diagnosis and took it home.
I got a lot of advice on here and in between jobs and other stuff finally got a chance to take the final drive off early this spring. It was easy since I have a cracked left exhaust pipe; I just took the last 18 inches of exhaust pipe off. Maybe now I'll get around to welding that back...
Once I got it off, sure enough, the splines were shot bad. I got a new final drive with good splines for about $120 on eBay. Then a month or so later I got around to getting started. That's when I noticed the teeth in the driveshaft coupling, where the final drive splines meet the driveshaft, were also gone.
I advertised on this forum, saying I'd pay $20 for a coupling and within ONE DAY, Kanuck69 emailed me and said he had one. He had trouble separating the coupling from the driveshaft but shipped it within a few days and sent it chock full of several tablespoons of moly grease, which was super nice of him. I ended up later having to clean all the moly out as I worked with that darn snap ring...
So, using fergy's guide, along with the shop manual, I worked and worked and worked on getting the old coupling off the driveshaft. That snapring, or circlip, is a beast. fergy is right, there's no substitute for the right tool. many hours later, I got the ring off by pure luck but there was no way I was getting it back on the new coupling without the right tool.
I went to Autozone and bought one for $12. It wouldn't fit inside the coupling. I took it back. I went to Sears. No luck. Ace hardware. No luck. Wal-Mart. No luck. Advance auto. No luck. Carquest. No luck. Home Depot had a $23 pair which had removeable tips. I took it home and it wouldn't fit in the coupling. Using wire cutters I snipepd off some long pieces of coat hanger to make longer tips. They were too fat for the holes in the circlip. So I heated them with a lighter and hammered them out on my vise like a blacksmith, then used a chisel to make the tips smaller. They fit the holes, but were too long to be stiff enough to manipulate the ring.
I drove an hour away and bought a $6 set of 4 miniature snap ring pliers at Harbor Freight. One of them ALMOST fit inside the coupling. Back to Home Depot for an $80 Dremel tool (I wanted one anyway) and I cut the edges of the snap ring pliers off. In the coupling they went and put the snap ring on in (I'm estimating here) 3 seconds.
Once the snap ring was on, I found out no one in town had any moly grease. The motorcycle guy at the Kawaski shop told me plain old wheel-bearing grease would work fine. I'd like to reach through that little hole i nthe phone and strangle him. He was going to charge me $1200 to put wheel bearing grease on there!
An hour away to another town I went and bought a tube of moly 60 for $13. Once that was done, I was about an hour away from the bike rolling. Finally, in late March, it's running! But it's raining.
Thanks for all the advice and help. This board is the bomb! Fergy's tips, kanuck69's rapid shipping and hospitality, and everyone else's contributions have really made it fun to be a Vulcan owner.