Shifting Gears - Page 4 - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Transmission / Rear End
\ Chattering Clutch? Transmission Trouble?
Rear End Woes? Splines Shot? Discuss it here!

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 09:06 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spockster View Post
Does it go into 3rd? Or do you only have 1st and N.

200 miles should be a good seafoam run, I did that at the end of the oil change life.
I can get to 3rd once i get into second. Once i'm passed the PNF, everything shifts beautifully, up and down.

The ONLY problems i have with my bike (so far) are the PNF, and oil is leaking passed the exhaust valve seal on the rear cylinder. 9800 miles on the meter. I've done all the mods people say to do, and i've learned how to start it while hot, so i any hot start issues i had were operator error.

1995 VN750
Ear Shave Mod
2-Wire Mod
Blue Wire Mod
RLU Bypass
SH847 R/R
Degoat
V&H Pipes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 10:44 AM

What conditions allow you to get into 2nd? How do you get there?

Some soak time with the flush liquid would be good too. Extra full, and if you could spin the engine/trans some, it could help. Remove two plugs, spin back wheel? Or if your nanny switches are disabled, use the starter in gear, ignition disabled.

Trying to guess what might have happened with such a low mile engine. I wonder about internal condensation, clutch disc deterioration, and maybe rust in the PNF.

Seems like the oil would have never been changed to create sludge this bad. Condensation - Do you have large temperature swings in the winters over your way?

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #33 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 11:30 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spockster View Post
What conditions allow you to get into 2nd? How do you get there?

Some soak time with the flush liquid would be good too. Extra full, and if you could spin the engine/trans some, it could help. Remove two plugs, spin back wheel? Or if your nanny switches are disabled, use the starter in gear, ignition disabled.

Trying to guess what might have happened with such a low mile engine. I wonder about internal condensation, clutch disc deterioration, and maybe rust in the PNF.

Seems like the oil would have never been changed to create sludge this bad. Condensation - Do you have large temperature swings in the winters over your way?
To get into second, most of the time i just have to ride fast, at least when the engine is warmed up. I go about 25-30 mph, then lift the shift lever like normal. sometimes it takes a couple tries while coasting in neutral.

super full with caustic chemicals in the crankcase. will do. and i have the nanny switches bypassed. i never tried to turn it over without the ignition turned on (on purpose) but it'll do it. Spark plugs out would probably make it easy on the starter. I'll probably put it on the center stand on a block to make sure the rear tire is off the ground.

i do have crazy weather sometimes. the whole winter it was inside while i worked on it, but we have had days that range from high 40's to high 90's in the span of a couple days.

i wonder about however many previous owners. The speedometer housing is cracked, and the front turn signals were gone when i bought it, but there aren't any weird scuff marks or scratches to indicate it was laid down. if it was laid down, it wasn't at any kind of speed.

1995 VN750
Ear Shave Mod
2-Wire Mod
Blue Wire Mod
RLU Bypass
SH847 R/R
Degoat
V&H Pipes

post #34 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 04:53 PM

Less than 10k on the motor, it's obviously sat for a while. I presume you've done an oil change, but have you gotten any good uptime on the motor so far? I wonder if some good fresh synthetic or a bit of seafoam and some good old fashioned engine heat wouldn't free up whatever has the PNF sticking?

In other words, get 'er hot and see what she's got, shifting thru the PNF as much as possible to free it up a bit just to work out the kinks.

Earshave+Rejet (38/135) NGK Iridiums MCCT Conversion Slipstreamer S03 Windshield Custom Extended Backrest Custom Highway Bars MOSFET R/R LED Underglow Volt+USB In-Dash Two-Wire & Blue-Wire Mod Satin Black Engine Paint Dampers Parts - Jets: Main=99101-393(#132 stock)/Pilot=n424-22 Pilot(#38 stock)
post #35 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 10:51 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubertalldude View Post
Less than 10k on the motor, it's obviously sat for a while. I presume you've done an oil change, but have you gotten any good uptime on the motor so far? I wonder if some good fresh synthetic or a bit of seafoam and some good old fashioned engine heat wouldn't free up whatever has the PNF sticking?

In other words, get 'er hot and see what she's got, shifting thru the PNF as much as possible to free it up a bit just to work out the kinks.
i've probably put 500 miles or more on it since i got it. the guy i got it from said he got it from a guy who let it sit (a 1995 with less than 10k miles...it either sat for a long time or had low miles put on it each year). it's had many heat cycles since i got it and after the seafoam, it might have lossened some gunk, but it hasn't escaped the PNF yet, or gunk got circulated into the PNF. Gonna run some gas through the crankcase and give the bike a jostle for a few. i'll try to screen what comes out to see if anything large comes out. gonna make some messes today!
ubertalldude likes this.

1995 VN750
Ear Shave Mod
2-Wire Mod
Blue Wire Mod
RLU Bypass
SH847 R/R
Degoat
V&H Pipes
post #36 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 06:43 PM

Garage
I have a pic of the "cloudy" look that just about makes it impossible to read the oil level (of course, now that i zoom in on the pic i can see the normal air bubble, even though the bike wasn't on level ground at the time i took the pic). I also attached a pic of what it looks like with about a quart of gas in the crankcase and a bit of shaking. Huge difference as far as i can see.

I'll be sure to add a bit more gas and some extra sloshing! i'll probably drain the oil, refill with gas and the remnants of oil left after draining, and hopefully get gunk out. Thanx for all the pointers and help. Hopefully this will be the end of my PNF probs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	with gas.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	46213   Click image for larger version

Name:	cloudy.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	46215  

1995 VN750
Ear Shave Mod
2-Wire Mod
Blue Wire Mod
RLU Bypass
SH847 R/R
Degoat
V&H Pipes
post #37 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 12:54 PM

Garage
Flushing the crankcase with gas made for smooth shifting into 2nd without any trouble at all. PNF issues solved.
Spockster and ubertalldude like this.

1995 VN750
Ear Shave Mod
2-Wire Mod
Blue Wire Mod
RLU Bypass
SH847 R/R
Degoat
V&H Pipes
post #38 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 01:44 PM

Garage
Nicely done!

1992 US-nonCA * tuxedo mod * r/r relocated

Vulcan slang for newcomers
Service Manual Download
Wiring Diagram + annotations * still undergoing revisions, but still more useful than the generic one. Let me know if you find mistakes or think something additional should be added
Sponsored Links
Advertisement