Every time I go to fix one issue with my Vulcan I get surprised by finding something else thats needs to be tweaked. I also have a couple of pics to add that may help others when they do this job. Sorry for the poor focus, buth I think they're good enough to get my point across.
I used bungies to hold the shocks and brake rod out of the way, like this:
The right lower shock stud was up against the muffler so I used a rubber chair foot to cover it and prevent scratching the chrome.
I used a broad pine board as a ramp/lever to help lift and hold the rear wheel while aligning the hub splines during reassembly. The square yellow bucket is full of kitty litter and it kept the ramp very stable. I knew cats had to be good for something!
When I removed the left side cover to to pull back the rubber boot over the u-joint the OEM wire guide just fell off. At first I thought it just cracked, but a closer look showed signs it had melted. See the little thin part sticking up on the bottom left and think of stretching plastic as it melts.
Turns out 2 of the three yellow AC wires from the STATOR also showed signs of melting. The top of the plastic cover over the male bullet connector had slipped or shrunk enough to expose bare metal. Either the 2 of them arced against each other or to the frame long enough to melt the plastic guide.
That can't be good for STATOR's health or lifespan. I advise checking them on your bike for similar problems. Replaced all three connectors. Put everything back together and went for short test ride. So far, so good!