Spline lube pics or video - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Transmission / Rear End
\ Chattering Clutch? Transmission Trouble?
Rear End Woes? Splines Shot? Discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

Spline lube pics or video

Trying to lube the splines. Fergy's video won't load, the pics some have posted give an error message. Really need to see what I need to do as oposed to what I've done so far.

At the point of breaking stuff to make stuff work.

Help!!!!

Thanks

Global warming? So what if my kids never see a polar bear. I never saw a dinosaur and I'm ok.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 02:27 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
whats the problem
post #3 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

Shaft isn't releasing from the final drive. Also not sure if I need to take the bevel gear case off or not.

If that's not enough, went to the Honda dealer to get the grease just in case I did get it to come apart. They're out.

I need to start this day all over again.

Global warming? So what if my kids never see a polar bear. I never saw a dinosaur and I'm ok.

post #4 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 05:46 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
not sure if I need to take the bevel gear case off or not.
Bevel gear doesn`t need to come off.

Quote:
Shaft isn't releasing from the final drive.
There are 4 bolts holding driveshaft tube onto the final drive. The one at the lower back side is halfway hidden, and could be missed.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #5 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

Got all four off. It's like the coupler is frozen the shaft.

I think what's really got me pissed now is 4 dealers around here and none have any Honda or other brand of 60 Moly grease.

Makes me really wonder what they'd used if I took it to them to do. So it's gonna be Monday evening at best if I can find the proper grease.

Got a house full of kids visiting too. My nerves are shot. I've seen way too many people riding today. At this point I think alcohol is the answer.

Thanks for the replies, I'll check back again.

post #6 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 07:32 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
go check NAPA and see if they have some molly grease... I know ours here has some. Secondly, it sound like your shaft is stuck to the bevel gear, take a hammer and try to lightly tap the shaft off...you might need to clamp on a pair of vice grips to tap on.
post #7 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 08:03 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

A local independant auto and motorcycle mechanic, who has been a rider for ~40 years, suggests using *constant velocity joint* lube. I can`t find a % of moly content though. I checked on prices a year or so ago, and you can buy little plastic bags of the lube w/o actually buying a cv joint or boot. As I recall, the smallest bag could be had for as little as $5, and there is enough to do several spline lube jobs.

Link with some generic spline lube info.
http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Shaft.html

Quote from above link. Bolding and highlighting are mine.
Quote:
The drive splines get surprisingly hot. Additionally, there's a lot of pressure on the splines and a lot of back and forth sliding motion. Any liquid type of grease will quickly be squeezed out of the splines, and leave you with no protection. The first time you remove your rear tire, you will likely find that the factory grease has dried out completely and solidified into something which does not even remotely resemble a lubricant. Actually, if it's a good Moly grease, it's still doing its job in this form, but it's not a pretty sight.

Honda specifies a spline grease which is 60% molybdenum disulfide ("moly"). Moly is a dry lubricant which bonds to the metal surfaces, offering lubrication properties even when the parts have squeezed everything liquid out. A lot of greases now say "Moly" on the container, but you must be careful about this. Ford and Caterpillar specify moly greases for particular applications, but the requirement is for 3% moly, not even close to the 60% requirement of Honda. It's not enough to buy a moly grease, what you really want is basically dry moly in a grease-like carrier which makes it easier to apply.

These days, most BMW shops seem to be using the Honda moly paste on drive splines. I have no idea what Kawasaki, Yamaha, or Suzuki dealers are doing, but if it's anything like what most Honda dealers are doing, it's simply not acceptable. My informal survey of Honda shops, backed up by observations from several other riders, has convinced me that essentially none of them use Moly-60. They use the cheapest brake and drive shaft grease they can buy. If you let a dealer or shop change your rear tire, be certain they are using Moly-60 paste or Krytox, or you're going to be needing new drive splines in about 50,000 miles. Guaranteed. I recommend you remove and replace your own wheels, leaving the spline cleaning and lubrication up to you. If you want nothing to do with this, then I recommend you have a talk with your favorite mechanic before tires come up, and buy your own tube of lubricant if necessary.

Moly greases with 60% + molybdenum disulfide content:
Honda Moly 60 paste, $9 for 3oz, pn 08734-0001 at your Honda dealer, or $8 from Kim Leong, STOC 3073, California Sport Touring.

LocTite Moly paste, 65% molybdenum disulfide. $20 for an 8oz tube from Enco, part #505-1197, 800-873-3626

TS-70 Moly Paste, 4 oz. ctg. $14 from TSMoly. (800) 508-5545

An alternative to moly is the new poly-flourinated lubricants made by DuPont called Krytox Teflon Bearing Grease.
These chemicals are simply magic. They have almost no known solvents, are chemically inert, and don't burn at any temperature, even in a pure oxygen atmosphere. This is pretty clearly the only grease to use. See this article. Nascar mechanics have found that Krytox grease can reduce the temperature of spline joints on drive shafts by 150. Also, this stuff lasts forever. It is, unfortunately, quite expensive.

Gordon

Purchased May 16, 2008

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Kury Offset Hiway pegs

https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9127
post #8 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 08:21 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootergptx View Post
Got all four off. It's like the coupler is frozen the shaft.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimvulcanrider View Post
go check NAPA and see if they have some molly grease... I know ours here has some. Secondly, it sound like your shaft is stuck to the bevel gear, take a hammer and try to lightly tap the shaft off...you might need to clamp on a pair of vice grips to tap on.
slim, it sounded to me like he can`t separate the final drive from the drive shaft, not the bevel gear splines. Those don`t have much back and forth movement and don`t pump the grease out like the rear splines do.

But your mention of the bevel gear is a good reminder to pry back the boot and spray some white lithium grease on those splines and the u-joint too.

Gordon

Purchased May 16, 2008

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Kury Offset Hiway pegs

post #9 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 09:39 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Got this from a 2 year old post:
Quote:
Got my moly 60 paste in the mail today! This is the cheapest place I found on the web and they had fast shipping too!

Moly 60 Paste from California Sport Touring, Inc.
http://www.casporttouring.com/store/...Category_Code=

Ordered it on 6/23 and received it today 6/26, just three days from Cali to Kentucky.

8.98 for the 3oz tube and 5.70 for shipping. Gonna pick the o-ring up the parts store tomorrow and plan on doing the spline lube sometime in the next week!
The o-ring needed for the pinion gear is Kawi p/n 92055.
I think someone here found a cheaper replacement at the hardware store.

Should be my last post on this thread now.

EDIT: Re-reading this old thread and realized I posted only 92055 which is the prefix for all Kawi O-ring part numbers.
The complete number is 92055-1044 for the final drive pinion splines o-ring.

Gordon

Purchased May 16, 2008

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Kury Offset Hiway pegs

Last edited by OlHossCanada; 07-07-2012 at 02:26 PM.
post #10 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies.

Worst part is working two jobs. Really cuts down on free time to work on this.

I did wind up taking off the entire swing arm, final drive still attached to the drive shaft. Had taken a rubber mallet to the drive assembly. Not actually hitting it as hard as I'd like too, I thing that piece is still good. Been spraying wd-40 on it while it's been hanging upright hoping it runs down into the coupler. I think that's where the problem is with that.

Also spun the drive on the bevel case (bike in nuetral) and could here a small clunk when I started to spin it. Really think that was my initial problem.

As my luck would have it, there was a person that had a bike for sale here on craigslist for 500 bucks, but needed carb work. Figured I could take the bevel case assemebly on back, swing arm included and get mine running. Then maybe get my old drive line apart, and fix the carbs on the donor bike and get it running enough to sell. But I just checked and it's not listed anymore.

Looks like ebay and I are going to become good friends. But not till I can get the final drive and shaft apart to see what all I need.

I'll try to keep my progress (hopefully) posted, but again two jobs are just killing me for free time.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement