Clutch case removed... - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Transmission / Rear End
\ Chattering Clutch? Transmission Trouble?
Rear End Woes? Splines Shot? Discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

Clutch case removed...

Pulled clutch case cover today. No sign of gasket/sealer at all...isn't there supposed to be a gasket?? Shows one on the exploded view. Also had a big washer fall out to the ground as I pulled the cover. I think it fits on the spindle sticking out by the two gears on the right? Couldn't find reference to it on the parts exploded view, but the Kawa service manual did have one pic that looked like that's where it goes.

The clutch hub doesn't look good...kinda like the San Andreas fault line? Is this safe, or should I replace this, before it shatters?

Also the water pump is in bad shape...dunno if that mess will clean up yet or not...will have to see.

Didn't get as far today as I wanted to..but it takes time to document, bag and label each part as it comes off bike, so I'm just taking my time.

New rider/mechanic of '85 VN700 Vulcan. (25k miles)

Link to bike restoration blog:
http://trailofthewolf.blogspot.com/s...%20Restoration
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 10:22 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

That clutch basket has a bad case of metal fatigue IMHO. Replace it.

You can try using the Evaporust on the water pump, but I`m almost certain it will be way out of spec.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 12:23 AM
Daily rider

Garage
Other than the rusty water pump, and the stress cracks on the clutch basket, the rest looks pretty clean. I don't see any visible bad wear on the tranny gears.

2017 Indian Roadmaster (current ride)
2003 VN1600A (Traded August 2017 to #1 son for a Bushmaster AR)
2001 VN750 bought 4/19/08 w/2309 miles(Sold April 2010 with just over 12,000 miles)
VROC #33035
__________________________________________________ ________________
Just when I thought I was winning the rat race, somebody moved the finish line!

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 07:16 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to luigit
yes there should be a gasket

and yes i would replace the clutch basket

and yes i would look into replacing the impeller

wow thats a fair amount of rust

looks like the bike sat a while and here are the effects of that
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 08:42 AM Thread Starter

yep..bike sat for minimum of 5yrs..probably closer to 10 based on what sketchy history I've gathered on the bike. I am the 4th owner that I know of and probably the 5th or 6th in reality. This bike was very badly abused and allowed to sit outside in a carport for several years and then was traded to my brother for some mechanic work he did and my brother had it in his barn for several years after that. He attempted to get it to fire once and it only ran on one cylinder. He gave it to me and I knew going in that it would be a complete restoration. Someone or several someone's have definitely been through this bike though...all the way into the engine. I can just tell by the feel of the bolts and lack of gaskets, loctite, etc..stuff just isn't right on it. I was hoping it was mostly external tinkering, but it seems that someone has been into the engine too.

My main reason for wanting it, is the seat height and 700cc's is plenty of power for me as a "new" rider. It's about all the bike I'll ever need and because of the age and the fact that I got it for free, I figure I can sink a bit of money in it and customize it some and still come out way cheaper than a new bike. I know I could probably grab a decent used bike for around $1000-1500, but it would still probably have issues and I'd then have to start from there and do all the things I'm doing to this one...so I figure I'm still ahead.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 09:13 AM
Daily rider

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolflrv View Post
yep..bike sat for minimum of 5yrs..probably closer to 10 based on what sketchy history I've gathered on the bike. I am the 4th owner that I know of and probably the 5th or 6th in reality. This bike was very badly abused and allowed to sit outside in a carport for several years and then was traded to my brother for some mechanic work he did and my brother had it in his barn for several years after that. He attempted to get it to fire once and it only ran on one cylinder. He gave it to me and I knew going in that it would be a complete restoration. Someone or several someone's have definitely been through this bike though...all the way into the engine. I can just tell by the feel of the bolts and lack of gaskets, loctite, etc..stuff just isn't right on it. I was hoping it was mostly external tinkering, but it seems that someone has been into the engine too.

My main reason for wanting it, is the seat height and 700cc's is plenty of power for me as a "new" rider. It's about all the bike I'll ever need and because of the age and the fact that I got it for free, I figure I can sink a bit of money in it and customize it some and still come out way cheaper than a new bike. I know I could probably grab a decent used bike for around $1000-1500, but it would still probably have issues and I'd then have to start from there and do all the things I'm doing to this one...so I figure I'm still ahead.

When you do it yourself, you'll always be sure of what you got.

2017 Indian Roadmaster (current ride)
2003 VN1600A (Traded August 2017 to #1 son for a Bushmaster AR)
2001 VN750 bought 4/19/08 w/2309 miles(Sold April 2010 with just over 12,000 miles)
VROC #33035
__________________________________________________ ________________
Just when I thought I was winning the rat race, somebody moved the finish line!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 11:39 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

It looks to me like those are not cracks but ridges on the clutch basket. So it was the mold which was cracked, and the basket is good. Of course I know nothing about metal casting so I may be wrong here..
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 11:48 AM
Giggity!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappa View Post
It looks to me like those are not cracks but ridges on the clutch basket. So it was the mold which was cracked, and the basket is good. Of course I know nothing about metal casting so I may be wrong here..
I magnified my browser to 400%, your pics are pretty good. I'd almost agree. It looks like they're all over it. I've never had mine off to look at. Wait till someone who has changed their clutch to chime in. The majority may very well look like that. I do agree they look like cracks at first glance. But zoomed in they look like ridges as mentioned.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

It really doesn't look right to me..if it were casting marks..I'd think they'd be a bit more uniform..plus the plate itself is dished in sort of...I'll have it opened up today hopefully and will know more. It looks like it's about to shatter to me. Only thing it might be is wrinkled paint or finish..but all the clutch basket pics I've been looking at..they are all smooth and flat..not dished and cracked looking.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 02:44 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Looks exactly like the marks on my Rebel clutch basket, FWIW. And they are ridges.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement