can't shift, shifter still have pressure - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Transmission / Rear End
\ Chattering Clutch? Transmission Trouble?
Rear End Woes? Splines Shot? Discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

can't shift, shifter still have pressure

hi guys. I just bought a 2000 750 and it can't shift into gears but the shifter doesn't have play or move freely like the other post I have been reading. Can someone point me in the right direction to fix this issue. I was told the bike needed a new rear wheel for this issue but I feel it's the shifter issue from what I have read from this forum. oh and the rear brakes don't work either. i can push down on the rear brakes and the bike will still move. inputs would be great or links to post on how to fix these issue would be great. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 04:46 PM

Well, I can only give a little advice on the rear brake. There is an adjustment for it, look on the right side and there is a nut that you can adjust. If that doesn't work, you should probably take off the wheel to inspect the brake shoes, maybe it needs new ones. Rear brake is a drum type, so it's pretty simple... no cylinder, fluid or discs to ponder about.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 06:09 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by thienthan View Post
hi guys. I just bought a 2000 750 and it can't shift into gears but the shifter doesn't have play or move freely like the other post I have been reading. Can someone point me in the right direction to fix this issue. I was told the bike needed a new rear wheel for this issue but I feel it's the shifter issue from what I have read from this forum. oh and the rear brakes don't work either. i can push down on the rear brakes and the bike will still move. inputs would be great or links to post on how to fix these issue would be great. thanks
I am unclear what you mean by the shifter not having play nor moving freely.
Do you mean it is seized in place and will not move up or down at all?

Or do you mean it has normal spring tension when applying pressure to the shifter lever up and down, and no excessive looseness in that the shaft does not slide horizontally in or out of the crankcase?

I can`t visualize what would cause either of these scenarios.
I`m just trying to clearly identify the problem for one of our more experienced transmission wrenchs who may be able to help.

X2 to Ceal`s adjustment suggestions on the rear brake. Examine the brake wear indicator on the rear hub. Be sure the arrow is pointing in between the acceptable wear lines. If the shoes are not worn out, and the adjustment still doesn`t get the brake working, you may have to pull the rear wheel off.

A member from the UK had the actuating cam at the top of the drum seized up with old grease and dirt so that it would not turn and apply pressure to activate the brake shoes. After cleaning the cam and applying some grease it works fine again.

Post back answers for tranny please.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

sorry. Yes there is normal tension when applying pressure to the shifter but it doesn't want to go into gear and there is no looseness in the shaft and doesn't slide horizontally in/out of the crankcase like others have posted.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 06:35 PM

hmm you know, even reading about other people's problems helps out! I'm gonna have to check my rear brake cam for dirt, now that you have mentioned it OlHoss! I think that might be the weird feeling I have on my rear brake.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 07:09 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Does the bike have an excessive number of miles on it?

The only easy thing to check is the shift pawl behind the cover with the oil level check window on the lower left side of the engine. You will have to drain the oil before pulling this cover.

This link shows a picture of how the corners of the pawl can become worn off. This could be the cause of your non shifting issue.
https://www.vn750.com/photopost/showp...to=203&cat=505

Gordon

Purchased May 16, 2008

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Kury Offset Hiway pegs

https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9127
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

It have 20k miles. i was messing with the bike and I think it's the spline issues i been reading about. I put it on the middle stand and i tried to shift and I believe it is shifting because when in nautral I can spin the wheel and it sounds fine. then I shift it into gear and i can still spin the wheel by hand but hear clicking noice by the drive shaft or spline and wheel. I think this is a spline issue right???
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 10:26 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

deleted

Last edited by FlacoLove; 03-26-2013 at 12:34 PM.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 12:25 AM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by thienthan View Post
It have 20k miles. i was messing with the bike and I think it's the spline issues i been reading about. I put it on the middle stand and i tried to shift and I believe it is shifting because when in nautral I can spin the wheel and it sounds fine. then I shift it into gear and i can still spin the wheel by hand but hear clicking noice by the drive shaft or spline and wheel. I think this is a spline issue right???
I believe you are right. It sounds like the splines from your description now.

Gordon

Purchased May 16, 2008

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Kury Offset Hiway pegs

https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9127
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 02:59 AM Thread Starter

so at this point should I just look for a new spline before I take it apart? from the sound of it I think the gears is worn down so it's not grabing the gears for the wheel. Thanks for the input ohhosscanada. I'm going to be reading on the spline lube and remove and replace for that piece. This site is great. I can see people on here are willing to help!

Last edited by thienthan; 10-11-2010 at 03:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement