Decision Time - Connecting Rod Snapped - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Transmission / Rear End
\ Chattering Clutch? Transmission Trouble?
Rear End Woes? Splines Shot? Discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

Decision Time - Connecting Rod Snapped

Okay guys, I need a few thoughtful opinions.

I recently posted regarding the shift lever losing all gears and being completely loose, resulting in the bike being stuck in first. After checking my symptoms and reading through the wealth of knowledge here, I was pretty sure that the diagnosis was that the connecting rod between the the shift lever and shifter broke internally. After having a mechanic look over it, he couldn't say for 100%, but he thought I had nailed it with my diagnosis. I plan on draining the oil and pulling the engine cover in an attempt to see the broken linkage, but I doubt I'll be pleasantly surprised.

So, the opinion part here: It's my brother-in-law's bike, but his is, ironically, in Japan. As of right now he wants to have it fixed, but my local mechanic won't do that kind of work, and the local Kaw shop (aside from costing a fortune) won't touch it until winter (if at all - they previously had said they do work on older bikes during the offseason). From what I understand, it'd be better to buy a used engine than to pay someone to split the one on the bike (43,000 miles). I am, perhaps fool-heartedly, toying with the idea of attempting this on my own. I have little wrench experience really, but have a Clymers and a shop manual at my disposal. I did manage to re-jet the carbs and replace various cables without any issue, but this is obviously a whole other level of difficulty.

So my options:

1.) Suck it up and pay Mother Kawasaki a king's ransom to rebuild the motor OR replace the motor.

2.) Search for another mechanic with a good reputation and have them do the work to rebuild or replace the motor.

3.) Attempt an engine pull and minor rebuild with little prior experience (but a will to learn!).

4.) Convince my brother-in-law to sell what he has and move on.

Feel free to vote and comment!

1992 Vulcan 750
(Brother-in-law's bike, but am caretaker while deployed)
V&H Cruzers
K&N Filters
Re-Jetted (40, 135)
Marbled
Rebuilt ACCTs (TOC kit)

1984 VF700 Magna
(Wife's Bike)

Last edited by hoff02; 09-21-2010 at 01:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 02:11 PM

go with the rebuilddoityourselfwhilecursing.. errrr... #3.. what do you have to lose?...and Lance can help you along with it.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 02:21 PM
Jack of all trades

yeah, with the support of this forum and its members, i would never be afraid to try fixing something on the bike. #3 for sure

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 02:44 PM

If you have the time and patience, I would vote for #3. I just had mine appart (First engine of any type that I had taken appart that far). Using the manuals(which did have some confusing directions at times) and the info on this site, I got it back together with no leftover parts!!! And it runs great. Just take your time.

Purchased 7/03 w/13000 mi
Sold10/10 27,000miles
Ear shave
V&H Cruisers
Tim Parrott stator
R/R relocated
Iridium Plugs
AGM Battery
Splines lubed
Clear Alternative LED brake light
TOC mcct
Mutazu LN Hard saddlebags
Chad's floorboards
Current ride-2009 Honda VTX1300

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 04:33 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

IF you have the time, patience and a place to work, I say go for it and try to fix it yourself. With a service manual or two and the help available here I am not afraid to tackle any repairs my bike might need. What have you got to lose? If you can`t fix that engine, you can always buy another one off of Ebay later.

This online mc repair course may be helpful to you too.
http://www.dansmc.com/MC_repaircourse.htm

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 04:53 PM

dig in to a manual and do it your self. Charge your bro for what every special tools you need. LOL
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 04:27 AM

Im actually in the same boat you are right now. Decided that the price to pay a mechanic was more than the bike was worth to me so Im attempting to do it myself. It seems like a lot but after reading the clymers manual and talking with Lance I'm fairly confident I wont have too any problems. Just go slow, organize everything, read the manuals carefully, and learn. This forum is great for people helping. Ill be taking lots of pictures and looking at possibly doing a writeup when finished so if I can help with anything I gladly will. Goodluck!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

I'm definitely leaning towards trying my luck with it. I think I should probably sit down with the Clymer's and sort of preview what exactly I would be getting in to. This forum has always been great for a quick hand though, so I'm sure as long as I don't get impatient, I should be able to solve any trouble that arises. Are there very man specialty tools that will be required? The manual should tell me, but if anyone knows offhand I'd appreciate it!

1992 Vulcan 750
(Brother-in-law's bike, but am caretaker while deployed)
V&H Cruzers
K&N Filters
Re-Jetted (40, 135)
Marbled
Rebuilt ACCTs (TOC kit)

1984 VF700 Magna
(Wife's Bike)
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 02:46 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Before pulling the engine do some voltage tests on the stator. Then inspect it after pulling the engine to see what the insulation looks like, and just the general condition it is in.

On a bike that is almost 20 years old and has 43K miles, I would also replace the vibration dampers. Check with lance328 and see what other service he suggests. Not sure??, but maybe check the oil pump seals, and a tiny fiber disc oil filter up in each cylinder head.

#14043 in the diagram for the Camshaft Head Cover here:
http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmot...0a7-us/o/m4555

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9127
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 09:28 PM

Go with #3. Give you your first tip: Get a box of sandwich bags and a red marker. As you take bolts out, you can put them in, then when you have, say, a cover off, you seal the bag and label it. Saves time looking for them when going back together!!!

"The Mistress".
1985 VN700A1

MODS:
New stator
My version of the Marbleing
New paint and trim
New oversized front tire
Degoated
Iridium Plugs
New grip and lever covers
New(er) Ignition switch

Waiting on:
A good ride

As always:
Wanting attention at all times.

Why should I act my age, I am an ADULT!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement