Transmission MIA - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Transmission / Rear End
\ Chattering Clutch? Transmission Trouble?
Rear End Woes? Splines Shot? Discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 07:55 AM Thread Starter

Transmission MIA

Yesterday I was out with my Dad enjoying the incredible riding weather, it was one of those days where you just let all the little things slide off your shoulders for a few hours and I was really pleased with how the Vulcan was running. At any rate, as we are entering onto a minor highway on our return leg of our ride, we both got on the gas a bit, enjoying just a brief moment of "hooligan", and as we came up to speed, I eased up and shifted up into 4th, then 5th as I've done over a 1,000 times, but this time the shifter, as it was coming into 5th, seemed to slide up too far. I wasn't too sure, and when I glanced down, sure enough the shift was almost at the engine guard bars. I put my toes down on it and it easily slid down and hit the stop for 4th gear. I gingerly downshifted and found 4th gear with no problem. When I shifted back up I had to pull the shifter almost up to the guard again before I found the shift. Uh-oh. We kept moving down the road until I saw a safe place to pull off. When I was able to dismount, much to my dismay I saw the clamp holding the shifter was tight (my original diagnosis) and that the shaft was turning freely, meaning the extra play is internal to the transmission case. Cursing a little bit under my breath, I decided to try and baby the bike home and to the local mechanic (a good guy who has been family friends with my wife's family for several decades). So I hop back on, carefully shift into first and enter the highway with my Dad following to keep an eye on the situation. As I pull out and go to shift into second, I hit neutral and then nothing...the shifter is now hitting the engine guard. I shift down...there's first...so I give her some gas and try for second again...nope...not happening. Damn. I put on the hazard lights and limp to the next pull-off and call for my father-in-law to bring his trailer. As I'm waiting, my Dad is softly moving the shifter, try to feel for the catch points. He calls me over...the shift is now spinning almost freely. There's resistance, like its rubbing on something, but no catch points. The bike is now stuck in first and isn't coming out anytime soon (a lucky break considering having to get it up on the trailer I suppose). We hauled the poor girl to the mechanic and the bike is awaiting a chance to look her over, but I'm asking you, the experts to help diagnose the problem. What is the most likely culprit? Am I looking at EEVV (Estimate Exceeds Value of Vehicle)? Are the old' girl's days numbered? '92 Vulcan with almost 43K on the clock. She was shifting great just the day before (almost 300 miles for a rally) and running like a top. I'd hate to see her go out with such a whimper...

1992 Vulcan 750
(Brother-in-law's bike, but am caretaker while deployed)
V&H Cruzers
K&N Filters
Re-Jetted (40, 135)
Marbled
Rebuilt ACCTs (TOC kit)

1984 VF700 Magna
(Wife's Bike)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

Well, I got time to do some more hunting through the archives and it looks like the connecting rod between the the shift level and shifter broke, which means the engine needs pulled and split. What a great care-take of my brother-in-laws bike I am. I'm sure it wasn't anything I specifically did, but what a rough turn of luck. I'd consider attempting a tear down, but I really don't have the time and/or full set of tools required to do the job. And I'm not really thinking he'll want to dump that kind of money in it. She's approaching 20 years old and 43k miles. On top of it, he's in Japan, so it's not like I could even sell it for him while he's gone and get rid of the headache. Not sure what to do....any thoughts...anyone with experience here?

1992 Vulcan 750
V&H Cruzers
K&N Filters
Re-Jetted (40, 135)
Marbled
Rebuilt ACCTs (TOC kit)

1984 VF700 Magna
(Wife's Bike)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 09:28 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

That was my initial thought, but was wondering how you were shifting it at all if the shaft had failed. So I'm not really sure if that is your problem or not. Hopefully, someone who has been into the guts of one or more of our bikes will respond. Try sending a personal message to lance328. He is one of the resident guru's for VN750s.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts

Last edited by flitecontrol; 08-31-2010 at 10:28 AM.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 11:04 PM

You might want to remove the cover with the oil sight glass in it and check in there to see if some of the **** linkage is broken, damaged, or loose. I would check there first before considering an engine pull. Might be worth a look.
Cheman

Purchased 7/03 w/13000 mi
Sold10/10 27,000miles
Ear shave
V&H Cruisers
Tim Parrott stator
R/R relocated
Iridium Plugs
AGM Battery
Splines lubed
Clear Alternative LED brake light
TOC mcct
Mutazu LN Hard saddlebags
Chad's floorboards
Current ride-2009 Honda VTX1300

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 11:06 PM

cant beleive I got censored for shift Maybe i mis-typed

Purchased 7/03 w/13000 mi
Sold10/10 27,000miles
Ear shave
V&H Cruisers
Tim Parrott stator
R/R relocated
Iridium Plugs
AGM Battery
Splines lubed
Clear Alternative LED brake light
TOC mcct
Mutazu LN Hard saddlebags
Chad's floorboards
Current ride-2009 Honda VTX1300

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 06:36 AM Thread Starter

I spoke with my mechanic and told him my thoughts, but asked that he take a look when he gets a chance anyway. My explanation for being able to temporarily shift is thinking that I had sheared through most of the rod so that when I shifted up, I was breaking the rod, but on the way down I had the benefit of forcing the barely held together pieces back together (I only got two or three upshifts before it failed entirely). So after a handful of downshifts, the remaining splinters just gave way and the piece collapsed. BUUUUT, I should hold on to a little hope. Perhaps I'm being overly pessimistic. It's just that after reading through almost every similar issue reported on here, I'm pretty sure this has got to be the problem...it fits in pretty much every way. I'll just have to wait another day or so until my mechanic can get her in for a once over.

1992 Vulcan 750
V&H Cruzers
K&N Filters
Re-Jetted (40, 135)
Marbled
Rebuilt ACCTs (TOC kit)

1984 VF700 Magna
(Wife's Bike)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement