removing positive neutral finder - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Transmission / Rear End
\ Chattering Clutch? Transmission Trouble?
Rear End Woes? Splines Shot? Discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 11:38 PM Thread Starter

removing positive neutral finder

just wanted to ask if it was possible to remove the positive neutral finder setup from a 1991 V750? would it be as simple as removing the 3 ball bearings for it? how involved would it be to do so, if it is possible? just frustrating taking off from a light and hitting neutral instead of 2nd. no matter how i do it (speed, pull clutch & release throttle, etc), it seems to catch me half the time. my logical mind says that if i do certain actions and get a particular response, it should respond the same way each time the actions are done. just when i think i have it down, it acts up a little. i got 14k on the bike now, running synthetic oil, try not to be abusive, but is just one of those things that bite at me (maybe its the OCD. haha). i could do without the finder if it is possible.

any thoughts, opinions, or suggestions on the subject, even if its just to tell me i need more practice? preciate it in advance.

Big Tank says: Aint nothin' to it but to do it, so have fun and enjoy the ride!

1991 750 - aka 'Vicki'
13500m and counting
goat belly bypass installed so far (planning more)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 01:41 AM
Linkmeister Supreme

Welcome to the Vulcan madness bigtank. Congrats on riding the Vulcan with the best looking colors to come from Ma Kawi`s factory. Of course I could be biased!! LOL

I looked back at your previous posts, and this seems to have been going on since you got the bike, and have ridden a few thousand miles in that time. My bike is the same year and has similar mileage logged on the odometer. My neutral finder works perfectly, as I recall. The operator may have short shifted occasionally though! I wonder if the previous owner may have neglected oil changes, and the dirty oil gummed up the neutral finder ball bearings and the channels they ride in??

I believe you mentioned in a previous post that the oil has been changed. So before you decide to pull the engine to disable the positive neutral finder (PNF), try pouring a 1/4 can (4 oz.) of seafoam into the oil just prior to the next oil change, and drive the bike hard enough to get it warmed up good. Go somewhere you can do repeated start and stops safely. Then do the 1st-2nd upshifts under power, then stopping, shift down, and go again. Perhaps the seafoam will clean the tranny PNF balls and channels out when done for several minutes. Check the PNF function each time you repeat the stop/start cycle while stopped too.

This is the cheapest, easiest and simplest thing I can think of to try for your bike problem. Let us know if it has any effect after filling with fresh oil.

The only other cure that comes to mind is more operator time in the saddle, and practice shifting with authority.
When your significant other wants to know why you are gone on the bike all the time, just tell her it is the OlHoss doctor`s orders for getting a healthy bike.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html

Last edited by OlHossCanada; 06-17-2010 at 12:56 PM. Reason: correct name from automatic, to positive neutral finder (PNF)
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 06:53 AM Thread Starter

yeah, im hoping it is something as simple as cleaning or operator error (haha). this is my first real bike so i could just be one of those things. ill definitely try that sea foam and see what goes from there. i do appreciate the info. thanks

Big Tank says: Aint nothin' to it but to do it, so have fun and enjoy the ride!

1991 750 - aka 'Vicki'
13500m and counting
goat belly bypass installed so far (planning more)

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 11:11 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

There's nothing wrong with my bike, but I can't say the same for its operator! I still find myself hitting neutral sometimes when upshifting from first. Seems to happen after I've left the city behind and ridden into rural country. Guess I'm more "relaxed". Probably just not putting the same effort into shifting as when I first begin a ride.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 06:26 AM
fuzz

it is a kawi flaw , every kaw i owned shifted hard or miss shifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtank3802 View Post
just wanted to ask if it was possible to remove the positive neutral finder setup from a 1991 V750? would it be as simple as removing the 3 ball bearings for it? how involved would it be to do so, if it is possible? just frustrating taking off from a light and hitting neutral instead of 2nd. no matter how i do it (speed, pull clutch & release throttle, etc), it seems to catch me half the time. my logical mind says that if i do certain actions and get a particular response, it should respond the same way each time the actions are done. just when i think i have it down, it acts up a little. i got 14k on the bike now, running synthetic oil, try not to be abusive, but is just one of those things that bite at me (maybe its the OCD. haha). i could do without the finder if it is possible.

any thoughts, opinions, or suggestions on the subject, even if its just to tell me i need more practice? preciate it in advance.
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzz View Post
hmmm, I'm on my second so far and my only shifting problems have been with the nut connecting the handlebars to the saddle...

Rook
Conway, AR
VROC # 30581
WBRA #90237-1
2009 1700 Nomad (mine)
2003 VN750 "Prozac" (now hers)
25'000 miles at purchase
Coastered
Ears shaved
Cobra exhaust

So, why is a raven like a writing desk?
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 09:26 AM
Sparky!!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by flitecontrol View Post
There's nothing wrong with my bike, but I can't say the same for its operator! I still find myself hitting neutral sometimes when upshifting from first. Seems to happen after I've left the city behind and ridden into rural country. Guess I'm more "relaxed". Probably just not putting the same effort into shifting as when I first begin a ride.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rook View Post
hmmm, I'm on my second so far and my only shifting problems have been with the nut connecting the handlebars to the saddle...
Hmm I have had several Kawasakis my self (2 dirt and the vn750) I have never missed a gear by the bikes' fault. I have hit neutral several times, but that was due to me not paying attention to my shifting.
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 07:40 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

While I have rarely ever missed a shift on the VN750, I believe the PNF was a huge mistake by Kawasaki, on every bike they ever put it on. What were they thinking? Anyone but a total beginner should be able to find neutral, and they will quickly learn. It was a "solution" for a problem that did not exist.

What it does do, if your bike is in first or neutral, and has a dead battery, it is next to impossible to get it into second gear, making bump starting very difficult. And it is just more mechanical complexity in an engine that IMO already has way to much. Jerry.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 08:19 PM

Unlike my 10mm socket (I have several of them now) nutral is probably the easiest gear to find on this bike.. dont sweat it!.. you will get past it eventualy... 1st to 2nd is a hard shift for mine too...almost a clank... almost!...its a VN750 thang...but then I have been on my buds and it shifted like butter!.. I hate him!
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 12:25 AM

On my 750 it shifts easily from first to second gear when the bike is in motion. It seems to only shift into neutral easily when the bike is stopped. This is just the way I would expect it to work.

WarmSound

They made them cool in 02!!!

2002 VN750
Sponsored Links
Advertisement