Spline Lube Complete! Leaking final drive oil... - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Transmission / Rear End
\ Chattering Clutch? Transmission Trouble?
Rear End Woes? Splines Shot? Discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
Young Gun

Spline Lube Complete! Leaking final drive oil...

I finished the spline lube last week following Fergy's walkthrough. Everything went great with that part. The teeth looked pretty good and I put in a new O-ring and lubed it with Honda Moly 60.

The problem I have now is that when I started loosening the four bolts holding the final drive to the drive shaft some oil started dripping out. I didn't think anything of it and put a rag underneath the bike to catch the drips as I continued removing the bolts. With the bolts removed I pulled the FD off and a larger amount of oil spilled on the floor. You can see this in the pics. It's an old bike that has a lot of signs of other "mechanics" poking around and the only thing I could think is that maybe someone oiled the splines instead of greasing them? I don't know, seems pretty dumb when I think about it now.

I went ahead and inspected the splines. Everything looked pretty good. I cleaned both ends of the splines and greased em up and put everything back together.

This is the part where I neglect to check the final drive oil, even though it specifically says to in the walkthrough!

I rode the bike to the gas station to air up the rear tire a little and rode back and set it the garage before I went to work. Came home after work, check the FD oil level. Nothin. I could see oil on the parts inside but could stick my finger in and not hit a pool of oil below the hole.

Crap.

I looked up what info I could find about replacing the final drive seals. I did find people who had done this on the board, but only for the wheel-side seal. I'm thinking that I have a (major) leak in the shaft-side seal. That was allowing the oil into the drive shaft. The only thing Clymers had to say about it was "take the final drive to a Kawasaki dealer to have the seals replaced."

I'm going to be breaking down the rear end again and looking closer at the seal. I didn't really look at it the first time, b/c I was only checking for the splines. In the Clymers and online I did see that there is a seal there and that you can order a new one, but I have no idea how to go about replacing it myself. That's what I need your expertise on! If anyone can point me in the right direction or give some tips that would be awesome.

I'm also wondering if you guys think my little ride to the gas station with no FD oil is gonna spell my doom or not.

Thanks a ton in advance!

BTW, I would have linked to fergy's write up and my intro thread in the newbie section but can't use links until I have 5 posts...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 02:05 PM
Old Truck Junkie

You are okay on the low oil. The gears were still wet with gear oil and you did not go that far.
I am not pushing lucas products in any way, but where I work we sell a stop leak made by lucas. This stuff can be used in the engine as well as in the gear boxes. It may be worth a try before spending a lot of money on it. Also this FD leak oil when they are not on the bike. Any ways this is MO.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Young Gun

Thanks for the reply! I didn't know how much to worry about the short low oil ride.

A stop leak is something to think about. The only problem is, I don't know how I'd know if it was working. I guess FD oil actually leaks into the drive shaft, so I don't know if I'd see any signs of the leak? The bike is new to me and does leak a little oil, but I have not yet pin pointed the leaks it has.

So is it a common thing for the FD to leak oil when it is off the bike (as in when doing spline lube)?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 02:33 PM
kay
carbon unit

Location: Country Created by Geniuses, But Run by Idiots...!!!

Garage
The way your final drive looks in the last picture (oil coated black dirt), would suggest to me that the seal has been leaking for some time and the PO just continued to add oil.
Could be wrong I suppose but IMO you should have the seal replaced. I don't believe a "stop leak additive" will work.
How much could they charge you if you were to take the FD in and not the whole bike?

2010 Triumph Speedmaster
1995 Vulcan750
1989 XT350
M880
1959 M38A1
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Young Gun

I thought the same thing, that sucker was pretty grimy. I don't know how much something like that should cost... along those lines, does anyone know a good shop in the Kansas City area? (I'll put a post in the regional forum for this as well)

If possible, I'd really like to try to take a crack and fixin it myself. Not only b/c I seriously did not like how I was treated at the shop it was at, but also b/c I like doing things myself. Part of the reason I got an older (cheaper) bike was to learn and work things out along the way. If I totally eff it up I'm not down $8000.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 10:46 PM
kay
carbon unit

Location: Country Created by Geniuses, But Run by Idiots...!!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc_matt View Post

If possible, I'd really like to try to take a crack and fixin it myself. Not only b/c I seriously did not like how I was treated at the shop it was at, but also b/c I like doing things myself. Part of the reason I got an older (cheaper) bike was to learn and work things out along the way. If I totally eff it up I'm not down $8000.
well there ya go, way to earn some respect IMHO

I would like to suggest that you should take care and replace all the shims that may come out. Way important.

2010 Triumph Speedmaster
1995 Vulcan750
1989 XT350
M880
1959 M38A1
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 12:40 AM Thread Starter
Young Gun

Lol, thanks for the vote of confidence, Kay. The wheel-side seal replacement sounded easy enough. Once I get the rear end off again, I'll have to evaluate the situation.. and decide how big my cojones are.

I guess this is not a very common problem?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc_matt View Post
Lol, thanks for the vote of confidence, Kay. The wheel-side seal replacement sounded easy enough. Once I get the rear end off again, I'll have to evaluate the situation.. and decide how big my cojones are.

I guess this is not a very common problem?
Actually it seems like it happens a lot, lol. Maybe not your particular problem with the oil seals, but leaking back there in general. A large portion of the posts in this forum actually ended up having some kind of o-ring or seal conversation in them, from what I've seen. For all I know, I might find the same damn thing when I crack mine open later on in the month

-------
1980 Honda CM400T - Old Picture
No More Fairing, Rack or Back Seat
My Sister Has It For Now

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...22_6753703.jpg

1993 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a271/SeanRP/kawa2.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a271/SeanRP/kawa1.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement