Throwing Alittle Grease - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Transmission / Rear End
\ Chattering Clutch? Transmission Trouble?
Rear End Woes? Splines Shot? Discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

Throwing Alittle Grease

Well, looking at my rear tire the past couple of weeks, it seemed like i was getting a build up of junk on my rim, but i couldn't decide whether it was ride grime / break dust / or whatever, but now I've pretty much confirmed that I'm losing grease/oil out the (looking at it from the rear) left side casing. Not tons mind you, but it's noticeable.

I was planning on doing a spline lube job after riding season, but apparently I'm going to have to take it down earlier then I thought. I'm just curious to see if anyone else has had that happen. I would like to order whatever gaskets or O rings I might need before i actually tear into it, if anyone has any recommendations or insight as to what I should buy (Aside from Fergy's writeup, which I'll be using). Where do you guys like to buy your parts online?

Thanks in advance

-------
1980 Honda CM400T - Old Picture
No More Fairing, Rack or Back Seat
My Sister Has It For Now

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...22_6753703.jpg

1993 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a271/SeanRP/kawa2.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a271/SeanRP/kawa1.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 12:25 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Sean, I had a leaky seal on the replacement final drive I bought the first time. I first thought I had over greased the splines, but on closer investigation I realized I had some seepage from the final drive around the wheel hub spline seal. If it just started doing this on its own, and you haven't done a spline lube yet, or haven't recently changed your gear oil in the final drive, (some over fill it a little and get some overflow slinging around the rim) then I'd have to guess it is one of your seals. It could be the seal that goes around the spline shaft that mates with the drive shaft, or it could be the one on the wheel hub side. You should be able to tell where it is leaking from when you pull the final drive.

I had a similar leak on my 1500 and found it was the seal on the drive shaft end of the final drive. I ordered the new seal and replaced it myself. So far no leaking. There are a couple places we order parts from. Loads of folks use cheapcycleparts.com although I've never used them. I've used bikebandit.com for most parts orders. Some here don't like them, but I've order gobs of parts for various bikes over the years and never had a problem with them. However, the local Honda dealership ordered the seal for me on the 1500. Cost less than $20 if I remember. I chose to replace it myself. It was way harder to get the old one out than install the new.

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Fergy, I appreciate the input. I've never had the rear end apart, but the previous owner knew his stuff and did a really nice job taking care of her so I've never been to worried. I kind of assumed the same thing as you since it wasn't doing it at the beginning of the year.

You say you were able to get the drive shaft seal through a Honda dealership huh? I was going to have my Honda obsessed roommate grab the Moly / gear oil for me this week from his place, maybe I'll just go with him and see if I can do it all in one shot, although I think it might be more of a stretch for them to be able to get stuff for a '93. I'm probably just going to order them online.

I found a previous thread where a member had been able to run the O-Rings and such to Home Depot and matched them up? I'm wondering if there's any difference in quality as far as general use vs. automotive applications?

-------
My Sister Has It For Now

1993 Kawasaki Vulcan 750

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanRP View Post
I found a previous thread where a member had been able to run the O-Rings and such to Home Depot and matched them up? I'm wondering if there's any difference in quality as far as general use vs. automotive applications?
I know several here have bought o-rings at ACE hardware, but I don't know if there's certain requirements for grease applications etc.
If you're ordering parts for your bike through the Honda dealership, especially for seals on the final drive, just tell them its a 2006. It's all the same. There are very few parts you need to be year specific on for ordering on the vn750.

Fergy
2002 VN1500 Classic
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergy View Post
I know several here have bought o-rings at ACE hardware, but I don't know if there's certain requirements for grease applications etc.
If you're ordering parts for your bike through the Honda dealership, especially for seals on the final drive, just tell them its a 2006. It's all the same. There are very few parts you need to be year specific on for ordering on the vn750.
That's good to know. Now all I need to do is find the time to get it done and polish her up again.

I guess this will free up some off season time for another project. I'll have to start thinking about what else i want to tinker with, lol.

-------
My Sister Has It For Now

1993 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 03:51 PM

I'll try to post how the #17 O-rings on the drive shaft I got at Lowes held up. It's been 10,000 miles and time to do it again.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts

Last edited by flitecontrol; 06-07-2010 at 03:53 PM.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

Hey, thanks Flite. I actually just ordered the O-Rings and Moly 60 but I'm interested to see how those worked for future reference.

-------
My Sister Has It For Now

1993 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 07:39 AM

Keep in mind, too, that it may not be all that much of a leak. That oil in the final drive is 80/90 weight, and just a little of it makes one heckuva mess in a very big hurry. I've replaced a couple of O-rings in that final drive housing and am still getting a leak. While it looks like a mess, a check of the amount of oil still in there leads me to believe that the leak isn't a big one.

--FA

K.J. "Fire Ant" Lord
VROC #28807
Decatur, TX
'03 VN750 "Serenity"

Rear Turn Signal Relocation
Front Brake Replacement
Spline lube, per Fergy's excellent instructions (that he has posted around here somewhere)
Kevlar Clutch Plates
Metzeler ME880 Tires
Stebel Nautilus Air Horn
ACCTs Rebuilt
Saddlemen Explorer Seat
MCCTs Installed
Kuryakyn Wide Levers Installed
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 09:16 AM

X2 FA. I have the same thing with both my bikes. The 93 is a bit more and I'll be replacing the seals and stuff in my final drive as I rebuild her. I noticed my 01' start doing it a bit lately with 13000 on the ticker. As you I just clean it off the rim and keep an eye on my gear oil level. I change it out every other oil change or so.

Would this occur from over tightening the shaft when putting everything back together (after removing the tire) or just from wear on the seals?

01' VN750
Jardine cross over exaust
Kyriakin grips and foot pegs
Modified seat and backrest
Windshield
Luggage rack
Crash bar with Kyriakin pegs and extensions
Kumho 758 165/80-15 CT rear Dunlop 404 110/90-19 front
Coastered and air/fuel screws at 2.5 turns
Spline lube

93' VN750 getting TLC
Decals and mirrors
Coastered and air/fuel screws at 2.5 turns
ACCTs to MCCTs
Degoated with Harley mufflers
Duro 110-90-19 front 150-90-15 rear
Pick-up coils at .020
Spline lube
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 09:58 AM

My feeling is that its just wear on the seals. The 80ft/lbs of torque you're putting on the axle shaft is only pulling the frame and the axle together along with the spacers and I doubt that force would be exerted against any of the seals, but I don't know for sure. Doesn't seem logical tho. To me, the rubber flap of the seal just gets some wear or hardness and allows some seepage of the gear oil past it. But I'm guessing...

Fergy
2002 VN1500 Classic
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement