Grease Fittings? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Transmission / Rear End
\ Chattering Clutch? Transmission Trouble?
Rear End Woes? Splines Shot? Discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 06:54 AM Thread Starter
Members who have donated towards server costs

Garage
Grease Fittings?

Hello Everyone,
Just wondering. Are there any grease fittings on the VN750? Also, is there any good reason why grease fittings could not be installed over the drive shaft splines, front and rear, and on the part of the frame that houses the swingarm bearings so that those points could be greased far more easily than by disassembling the bike? Would the grease not get to the necessary locations through grease fittings and that is why they are not there and would not be effective if they were to be installed?
Thanks,
Sam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam612
Hello Everyone,
Just wondering. Are there any grease fittings on the VN750? Also, is there any good reason why grease fittings could not be installed over the drive shaft splines, front and rear, and on the part of the frame that houses the swingarm bearings so that those points could be greased far more easily than by disassembling the bike? Would the grease not get to the necessary locations through grease fittings and that is why they are not there and would not be effective if they were to be installed?
Thanks,
Sam
Sam...there are no grease fittings AFAIK.
When you do your first spline lube, you'll see why grease fittings are not the answer.
Both sets are a male/female arrangement...the front driveshaft splines fit into the bevel gear case and the rear FD splines fit into a collar. IMHO no grease would be able to be reliably shot into those connections from outside...the splines have to be 'brushed' with the lube, and the rear collar packed with additional moly. After the first inspection at 6k, it's 'just' an hour's worth of work every 10~12k miles.
I think I've read about someone doing the zerk-fitting for the swingarm bearings, tho....I think on the VROC site.
I never had the opportunity to take the swingarm apart, but if I were going to investigate a grease fitting, I think you would have to do that in order to correctly position the fitting.
Therefore, while apart, I would just replace the OE bearings with sealed bearings if possible, and foggettabbouttit for 40k miles....

john m
Somewhere deep in OH....
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 09:31 AM Thread Starter
Members who have donated towards server costs

Garage
Hi Jm1515,
Thanks for the input. You sound very experienced with maintenance and repairs on the VN750. By the way, I went to the Kawasaki website and looked at the parts diagram (a tip from Flap1) and ordered all the O-Rings listed. I really do not know which ones I will need and I did not want to be unable to ride while waiting for an O-Ring because I did not "shotgun" order them. The total came came to about $36 including the shipping charges. Who knows, I may not even need any O-Rings but it is insurance.

Are there any other things that I should have like gaskets, etc.? I would like to get it all done at once and be back in the saddle as soon as possible. I would like to be riding again real soon but will not rush the job. I want to do the job right and not hurt the Vulcan, of course.
Thanks,
Sam

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 11:33 AM
Uber Member

Send a message via AIM to Hizzo3 Send a message via Yahoo to Hizzo3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam612
Are there any other things that I should have like gaskets, etc.? I would like to get it all done at once and be back in the saddle as soon as possible. I would like to be riding again real soon but will not rush the job. I want to do the job right and not hurt the Vulcan, of course.
Thanks,
Sam
this may or may not work... i didnt like there not being a gasket from the shaft housing to the spline housing.... so i just took some RTV and made my own :P i've done my own gaskets for years on my jeep. and i figure it couldnt hurt. i just took some RTV and put it around that sealing point that was just metal to metal on that shaft housing. put the final drive back on and loosly tightnened it. let it sit for an hour. came back and tightnened her right on up. i guess i will see in 10-12k miles if it helped... also make sure that u put the front rubber boot back on after doing the front splines... mine hadn't been on right since factory LOL. its kinda triangular, so if its too hard to get on, try turning gently.

'04 Vn750
Currently Installed
nat'l cycle deflector shield
westco 12v30 MF, 30A/h w/ 350 CCA's w/ custom box
TOC stator cover w/ Frankenstator mod!
R/R relo

Soon to have (own or on order)
TOC ACCT's
Mez's 110-FRT 170/80-Rear
Custom rear fender and tail light
Givi hard bags w/ custom rear turn signals

Band Engineer/Webmaster for Josey Contreras Tejano Band