Clutch adjustment - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Transmission / Rear End
\ Chattering Clutch? Transmission Trouble?
Rear End Woes? Splines Shot? Discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-30-2020, 07:02 AM Thread Starter

Clutch adjustment

Hey all - I could probably figure this out via trial and error, but why waste time and effort when all the knowledge is at my fingertips?! Anyway, first ride of season yesterday. noticing my clutch doesn't engage until the lever is almost fully released. Works fine, but I'm guessing it should release and engage maybe 1\4 of the way from the bar when releasing. So, seeing the photos below, are there any suggestions ? I'm thinking turn the adjuster on handlebar(lever) all the way in. Unthread the cable down near the frame to lengthen a bit, and fine tune after at the lever adjuster. Does this sound logical, or is it time for a new clutch? You can see the cable is lengthened a bit already midway down frame, I just dont know how much adjustment is left, thought I'd ask rather than spend a sunny day messing with it, and possibly just wasting time. Of course I do learn that way, but I also learn from good teachers who have been there, done that.. lol. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lever adjuster nut.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	47631   Click image for larger version

Name:	cable adjustment section.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	47633  

Last edited by 1RadCJ5; 04-30-2020 at 07:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-30-2020, 08:26 AM

I had a similar issue a few months back but I would fully release the clutch and it wouldn’t engage. Make sure you check where the cable connects to the clutch itself on the bottom of the bike. I could not get it to adjust properly using the handlebar and mid-span adjusters, I then realized this was misaligned. Look at this pic, this an example of what it should NOT look like, the slot SHOULD be lined up with the rib on the case when the clutch is fully released. If it needs to be re-aligned it’s held on with just one pinch bolt. That gave me the cable play I needed and I haven’t had to touch it since.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	232D55DE-6AF7-4305-8960-2C78B4528425_1588248971569.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	47637  
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-30-2020, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmart View Post
I had a similar issue a few months back but I would fully release the clutch and it wouldnít engage. Make sure you check where the cable connects to the clutch itself on the bottom of the bike. I could not get it to adjust properly using the handlebar and mid-span adjusters, I then realized this was misaligned. Look at this pic, this an example of what it should NOT look like, the slot SHOULD be lined up with the rib on the case when the clutch is fully released. If it needs to be re-aligned itís held on with just one pinch bolt. That gave me the cable play I needed and I havenít had to touch it since.
Thanks, mmart! I zoomed in on a pic I took yesterday, after changing oil. It's pretty close to lined up with the mark on case, hopefully you can see the photo. It's a hair off in the opposite direction yours was. Not sure that's an issue since it's so close. Not sure how much more adjustment I have mid-cable, I haven't unthreaded it to extend it yet, so I may have room to adjust, just haven't tried. I am attaching a zoomed in photo, but it's pixelated from zooming in so much. Hopefully you can see it enough. Thought I'd get some wisdom from this forum first before changing anything!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	clutch lever.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	47639   Click image for larger version

Name:	clutch lever 2.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	47643  

Last edited by 1RadCJ5; 04-30-2020 at 09:25 AM.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-30-2020, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator

the clutch on the vn750 normally does not start to engage until its about 3/4 released (away) from grip.. normal operation. if you take the clutch cover off (right side of engine) and watch the the amount of clutch travel there is, you will be absolutely astounded. the clutch pressure plate probably moves 3/8ths of an inch from fully released to fully engaged. since the pressure plate actually has to press on the clutch stack in order to create friction, the majority of this movement is wasted

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-30-2020, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RadCJ5 View Post
Thanks, mmart! I zoomed in on a pic I took yesterday, after changing oil. It's pretty close to lined up with the mark on case, hopefully you can see the photo. It's a hair off in the opposite direction yours was. Not sure that's an issue since it's so close. Not sure how much more adjustment I have mid-cable, I haven't unthreaded it to extend it yet, so I may have room to adjust, just haven't tried. I am attaching a zoomed in photo, but it's pixelated from zooming in so much. Hopefully you can see it enough. Thought I'd get some wisdom from this forum first before changing anything!
I think if you align the clutch arm, then correct the cable slack, it should cause the clutch to grab sooner.

I've looked at the pics 10 times and I'm still not 100% on that. However, I was injected with a lot of drugs today.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-01-2020, 06:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spockster View Post
I think if you align the clutch arm, then correct the cable slack, it should cause the clutch to grab sooner.

I've looked at the pics 10 times and I'm still not 100% on that. However, I was injected with a lot of drugs today.
Thanks, Spockster! I agree with you both. Just lining up the arm with the mark on case should make some tiny little difference, although maybe not much. However that alone would be taking some of the play out of the cable, or so it appears. I will do this Saturday, along with upping my idle from 800 to 1,100 rpms to keep lights from flickering. Think idles too low. I will keep you all posted. Saturday here in ME it supposed to be in 60's. Will ride for an hour or so, then grab some beers and proceed to have an afternoon bonfire. Today is freaking pouring.... Oh and in case you hadn't heard, Spockster, Drugs are bad Mmmkay? LOL
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-01-2020, 06:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganteddybear View Post
the clutch on the vn750 normally does not start to engage until its about 3/4 released (away) from grip.. normal operation. if you take the clutch cover off (right side of engine) and watch the the amount of clutch travel there is, you will be absolutely astounded. the clutch pressure plate probably moves 3/8ths of an inch from fully released to fully engaged. since the pressure plate actually has to press on the clutch stack in order to create friction, the majority of this movement is wasted
Thanks michiganteddybear - I will just adjust the lower linkage arm to where it's supposed to be, and see what happens. I'm not having any issues, so I don't want to worry about something normal. I tend to do that, lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement