? About final drive gear grease. Thick factory vs very thin molly 77? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Transmission / Rear End
\ Chattering Clutch? Transmission Trouble?
Rear End Woes? Splines Shot? Discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-25-2020, 10:20 PM Thread Starter

? About final drive gear grease. Thick factory vs very thin molly 77?

Hey guys! Im very sorry if this has been asked before, I searched the forum and the internet but couldn't find a answer to this.

I got my new rear Michelin Commander 2 mounted today (oversized), and was going to start the spline lube procedure, so took off the final drive, and thankfully at 28,000 miles, I still had molly on the splines!! However, I noticed that the grease on the large gear on the final drive (that meshes with the outer hub) had very thick grease on it. The Honda Molly 77 that I purchased today at a Kawasaki dealer is very thin. Am I concerned that if I clean all of this thick grease off, and replace it with the new Molly grease, that centrifugal force will throw this grease off to the outer edge of the hub....Am I supposed to put a coating of Molly on top of the factory grease, or is it possible this grease is old and got thicker over time or somebody possibly put the wrong kind of grease on it when it was serviced last (When my dad owned it) He could have taken it to a dealer to have new tires put on it...

Just a bit confused right now and want to put this bike back together the proper way, so I can get many, many more miles from it...

Thanks in advance for your time!!

Owner of a Blue/Black 2000 Kawasaki Vulvan 750 (with Chrome, round Air Cleaners)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-26-2020, 05:16 AM
Super Moderator

The grease on them outer splines is probably old and dirty. you can clean it off, and put on a very thin coat of replacement grease. there is virtually no movement between them 2 parts, the grease is there mostly to prevent seizing together of the parts. too much will get flung off and it will land on the rim of the rear wheel.

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-26-2020, 12:19 PM

Garage
The moly grease is used on the spline because the mating surfaces move back and forth along the splines, so a lubrication that works under high pressure and won't just get squeezed out of the way is needed. The moly is also sealed into that coupling with O-rings.

The larger gear doesn't have any of that back-and-forth movement, so standard grease is fine for that application. Moly would probably make a huge mess, as you mention.

1992 US-nonCA * tuxedo mod * r/r relocated

Vulcan slang for newcomers
Service Manual Download
Wiring Diagram + annotations * still undergoing revisions, but still more useful than the generic one. Let me know if you find mistakes or think something additional should be added

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-26-2020, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

Thank you both for the reply's! That really does clear things up for me and now makes perfect sense. Gonna have this back together today and take it for a spin. Just don't have my front tire back from RMA yet as I sent it back for having a two year old date code on it. Thanks again for your help, much appreciated!

Owner of a Blue/Black 2000 Kawasaki Vulvan 750 (with Chrome, round Air Cleaners)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement