Clutch replacement - Page 2 - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Transmission / Rear End
\ Chattering Clutch? Transmission Trouble?
Rear End Woes? Splines Shot? Discuss it here!

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-20-2020, 05:53 PM
Super Moderator

yuuup, there is a round cover on the RIGHT side that the clutch lives behind (left side is where pickup coils and stator live). more than 3 philips screws, and you may have to loosen/drop the exhaust pipe on right side to access one bolt, but other than that, you dont even have to drain the oil to do the job!

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-21-2020, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spockster View Post
Yep, there's a round cover on the clutch side.

For the 'walrus' or coffee grinder noise, if you engage the clutch a few times before actually taking off the first time, it can help.

My clutch grabbed one time and put me on the ground. I learned.
LOL, Thanks again, Spockster! I always hold the front brake when putting into gear. Doesn't mean it won't jerk, but I'm used to surprises, as the GF can't seem to just get on, and sit still. haha. Maybe I'll replace it this summer, but haven't even looked at the cable to see if there is any adjustment left. I will start there. As for now, I'm running it as it is!
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-21-2020, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganteddybear View Post
yuuup, there is a round cover on the RIGHT side that the clutch lives behind (left side is where pickup coils and stator live). more than 3 philips screws, and you may have to loosen/drop the exhaust pipe on right side to access one bolt, but other than that, you dont even have to drain the oil to do the job!
Thank You, michiganteddybear. I just found a Youtube video by Andrew Roth, doing a clutch on an 85 motor on a bench. A little hard to see, but looked super easy. Well within my capabilities. I'm not sure why I thought it was on the right side, but when I get home and put new AGM battery in, I'll take a glimpse. Now that I think of it, I know your right on that. On the left the wires go in for the stator. I'm in no rush, it's still going great. Hoping I don't have to mess with exhaust. It would be too easy to just remove the 7 bolts and take circular cover off....LOL This is a GREAT forum!

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-21-2020, 07:09 AM

I'm pretty sure the exhaust sticks up in front of the cover, just enough to make you take it off.

Be careful separating the muffler and pipe. They have these soft greasy 'seals' made of unobtanium or gold or something.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-21-2020, 08:56 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spockster View Post
I'm pretty sure the exhaust sticks up in front of the cover, just enough to make you take it off.

Be careful separating the muffler and pipe. They have these soft greasy 'seals' made of unobtanium or gold or something.

Gold Plated Unobtanium

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-21-2020, 10:42 AM

Link to the repair manual download if you need one: VN750_Vulcan_Service_Manual_Parts_Catalogue

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement