Shifter stuck in Neutral - Page 4 - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Transmission / Rear End
\ Chattering Clutch? Transmission Trouble?
Rear End Woes? Splines Shot? Discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 01:46 AM
Havin some fun.........

Thanks for that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

Yup, you can do it. Be sure to drain out the oil first... It is a really tight space and there is really no way to get a new gasket on it either. I just made sure to oil it good before putting it back on and after having it off twice there are no leaks after almost a year. It is easier to do if you can put the bike on a jack. Otherwise you will be working with your head on the garage floor.

Good luck.

"Shutting up rarely leads to anything bad"

Joe McAdoo
Springfield, MO
[email protected]
VROC # 28175
-2004 Vulcan 1500 Classic 22000 miles
-1995 VN750 (Back home again!) 25000 miles
-1995 Suzuki DR350 Dualsport 1720 miles
post #33 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-20-2010, 09:24 PM

Just wanted to say THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!! to everybody on here. Ihad this same problem today and after taking it to a dealer service and being told these parts couldn't be gotten to without pulling the motor and splitting the case which would cost $1500 to $1800 they told me. I only paid $1200 for the bike so I loaded it back up on the trailer and took it home thinkin I could put it on the center stand and have a $1200 rocking horse.

Then I came on here and found this thread and wouldn't you know that spring had gotten weak and slipped out on mine too so I pulled it out and bent it around to make it more springy put it back together and it shifts better now than it did when I got the bike.

I don't know if this mechanic really didn't know what he was doing or if he knew it was an easy fix and just wanted to charge for the expensive fix either way I won't be going back to them even to order the new spring.

Once again THANK YOU ALL VERY MUCH!!!!!! You saved me feeling guilty about buying saddlebags for it last night.

post #34 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-20-2010, 11:15 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Might want to back with a big smile and tell the mechanic how you fixed it! Then tell him you think you'll do all your own wrenching from now.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
post #35 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-22-2010, 10:36 AM

Yeah I thought about riding my bike back down there and ordering the part from the guy.
post #36 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joem View Post
Luckily it is not that hard to open it up and put it back together. I ordered a new spring, but I rode the bike for quite a while with the old one put back in before I changed it out. Unless the spring is broken I think you can just bend it out a little bit to add to it's "spring-i-ness" and put it right back in. Be careful not to damage the gasket on the cover when you open it. There are two little tabs, one on each side, meant to use with a screwdriver to pry the cover off. Smear a little oil on it before you close it back up and it won't leak. Let me know if you have any questions. I've done this twice this Summer, so I guess that makes me the current resident expert.
Do you have any photos of this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement