Shifter stuck in Neutral - Page 2 - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Transmission / Rear End
\ Chattering Clutch? Transmission Trouble?
Rear End Woes? Splines Shot? Discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 02:09 PM
The Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joem View Post
OK, I have two more questions before I do this.

First, since the lever is returning to it's normal resting place I assume that the Lever Return Spring is still in there doing it's thing, so I think what I hope for is that the culprit is the Pawl Spring. If that is the case can it be replaced?

Second, is there a gasket or o-ring on the Transmission Cover that will need to be replaced? Not only am I opening mine, but at the same time my friend who also has 750 has an oil leak from that cover. We are going to try to fix do both at the same time.

Thanks
Transmission cover gasket #11060-1091

Shift Pawl #13165-1120

Return spring #92081-1777

Will cost you about $25.00 for shift pawl, spring and 2 gaskets at a dealer.

85 VN700 "Old Yella"

REBUILT ENGINE
CUSTOM PAINT
VANCE & HINES CRUZERS
EAR SHAVED AND RE-JETTED W/K&N'S
DUNLOP ELITE K591 FRONT & REAR
VOLTMETER
SYNTHETIC BRAKE FLUID
SYNTHETIC OIL & GEAR LUBE
PLEXISTAR 2 WINDSHIELD
SPLINES LUBED
ACCT'S GREASED W/TOC SPRINGS
COASTERD
LEATHER SADDLE BAGS
LEATHER TOOL AND ROLL BAG
PICKUP COILS GAPPED AT .018"
NGK CAP, WIRES, IRIDUMS
BARNETT FRICTION PLATES & SPRINGS
CUSTOM GRIPS, MIRRORS, LEVERS
ORIGINAL STATOR & R/R 14.5v
DEKA MF AGM ETX15L

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Last edited by lance328; 04-16-2009 at 02:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

OK, see, now this is why this site is so friggin' AWESOME!

"Shutting up rarely leads to anything bad"

Joe McAdoo
Springfield, MO
[email protected]
VROC # 28175
-2004 Vulcan 1500 Classic 22000 miles
-1995 VN750 (Back home again!) 25000 miles
-1995 Suzuki DR350 Dualsport 1720 miles
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

Allright, I am reporting back that the bike is fixed!!

It took about 2 hours from draining the oil to taking a test ride. The culprit was the little U-shaped spring that holds the prawl against the end of the shift drum. It had slipped partially out of place, but wasn't broken. I just slipped it back in where it goes and closed it up. I do plan to order a new spring since I am assuming the old one has gotten weak, and unless it strands me someplace between now and then I will probably install it the next time I change my oil.

Just a couple of things to add about this for any mechanical novices who have to do this in the future.

First, if you can put the bike up on a jack it will keep you from having to do this while laying on the floor. My riding buddy just found an AC Delco 1500 lb capacity bike/ATV jack at a yard sale for $40!! We put it to good use.

Second, you do have to disconnect the bottom end of the clutch cable to get it out of the way. The armature at the end of the cable slides off the shaft once you remove the set bolt. You do need to be careful to get it back on in the same position.

Third, the cover would not actually come all the way off. You can turn it to allow access to the space, but the shaft that turns the prawl sticks out and holds it against the frame and we weren't able to get it out. The only real problem with this is that it would be difficult (but not impossible) to put on a new gasket. Luckily the gasket was undamaged and the cover went back on with no leaks.

Thanks to Seebeeare, OlHoss, Pick and everyone elso who gave me advice on this. You can imagine how awesome it felt to start it up and ride out of the driveway.

Joe McAdoo
Springfield, MO
[email protected]
VROC # 28175

post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 07:18 PM

Great job, and congrats on it being something (relatively) minor.

--FA

K.J. "Fire Ant" Lord
VROC #28807
Decatur, TX
'03 VN750 "Serenity"

Rear Turn Signal Relocation
Front Brake Replacement
Spline lube, per Fergy's excellent instructions (that he has posted around here somewhere)
Kevlar Clutch Plates
Metzeler ME880 Tires
Stebel Nautilus Air Horn
ACCTs Rebuilt
Saddlemen Explorer Seat
MCCTs Installed
Kuryakyn Wide Levers Installed
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 03:41 AM
Simple Solutions

Send a message via MSN to seebeeare Send a message via Yahoo to seebeeare
glad it worked out and was simple ! just keep order that spring and keep her handy i dont think your gonna have an issue now that its back in place also if u dodnt have the gasket ,1 min gasket by right stuff works great (just to Let u know if u get in a pinch... )

Stator #3
MF AGM
DeGoated
Ears Shaved
R/R relocated
Rebuilt

She's worth her weight in GOLD
If u dont have it already Here is the Service Manual
How To Test the Stator
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 07:44 PM
Kawika

man, I hope I have as good luck as you did....my bike just broke down the same way today on the way home from work...I'm already a basket case! @ 8002 miles

Quote:
Allright, I am reporting back that the bike is fixed!!

It took about 2 hours from draining the oil to taking a test ride. The culprit was the little U-shaped spring that holds the prawl against the end of the shift drum. It had slipped partially out of place, but wasn't broken. I just slipped it back in where it goes and closed it up. I do plan to order a new spring since I am assuming the old one has gotten weak, and unless it strands me someplace between now and then I will probably install it the next time I change my oil.

Just a couple of things to add about this for any mechanical novices who have to do this in the future.

First, if you can put the bike up on a jack it will keep you from having to do this while laying on the floor. My riding buddy just found an AC Delco 1500 lb capacity bike/ATV jack at a yard sale for $40!! We put it to good use.

Second, you do have to disconnect the bottom end of the clutch cable to get it out of the way. The armature at the end of the cable slides off the shaft once you remove the set bolt. You do need to be careful to get it back on in the same position.

Third, the cover would not actually come all the way off. You can turn it to allow access to the space, but the shaft that turns the prawl sticks out and holds it against the frame and we weren't able to get it out. The only real problem with this is that it would be difficult (but not impossible) to put on a new gasket. Luckily the gasket was undamaged and the cover went back on with no leaks.

Thanks to Seebeeare, OlHoss, Pick and everyone elso who gave me advice on this. You can imagine how awesome it felt to start it up and ride out of the driveway.

LETS RIDE!! VROC# 26137
☠ Black Candy ☠ '07 Mean Streak 1600
☠ Blue Crush ☠ '95 VN750-A11

post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 12:27 AM

This is getting to be quite a club...Mine just did the same thing on my way to work this morning
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

Luckily it is not that hard to open it up and put it back together. I ordered a new spring, but I rode the bike for quite a while with the old one put back in before I changed it out. Unless the spring is broken I think you can just bend it out a little bit to add to it's "spring-i-ness" and put it right back in. Be careful not to damage the gasket on the cover when you open it. There are two little tabs, one on each side, meant to use with a screwdriver to pry the cover off. Smear a little oil on it before you close it back up and it won't leak. Let me know if you have any questions. I've done this twice this Summer, so I guess that makes me the current resident expert.

Joe McAdoo
Springfield, MO
[email protected]
VROC # 28175
post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 01:28 AM

Guess this is worth closing the loop on...Mine was the C-shaped spring. Not broken, not out of position, just old and weakened to the point that it suddenly didn't do its job at all any more.

The gasket pretty well disintegrated on disassembly, but we got the surfaces cleaned up and the new one slid over.
post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 01:09 PM
Kawika

Quote:
Luckily it is not that hard to open it up and put it back together. I ordered a new spring, but I rode the bike for quite a while with the old one put back in before I changed it out. Unless the spring is broken I think you can just bend it out a little bit to add to it's "spring-i-ness" and put it right back in. Be careful not to damage the gasket on the cover when you open it. There are two little tabs, one on each side, meant to use with a screwdriver to pry the cover off. Smear a little oil on it before you close it back up and it won't leak. Let me know if you have any questions. I've done this twice this Summer, so I guess that makes me the current resident expert.
similar situation here....I bent the spring out a little an put it back in and have about 900 miles on it already with no issues. My gasket was destroyed upon removal, so I had to order a new one. Since I was waiting for parts, I ordered the spring as well, but the dealer accidentally ordered the other spring that goes on the shaft....maybe I will get that new sping on there over the winter, but I'm not having any issues. Before it "stuck in neutral" I had warnings of this coming, but was not aware of the solution. The warnings were, the bike seemed to "miss the gear" when shifting fast, but then recovered after down shifting.

LETS RIDE!! VROC# 26137
☠ Black Candy ☠ '07 Mean Streak 1600
☠ Blue Crush ☠ '95 VN750-A11

Sponsored Links
Advertisement