Putting together a 94 - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Transmission / Rear End
\ Chattering Clutch? Transmission Trouble?
Rear End Woes? Splines Shot? Discuss it here!

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 03:24 AM Thread Starter

Putting together a 94

I'm attempting to get a 94 put together with not a lot of knowledge of working on bikes. I've had a few street bikes through the years, I'll be 60 in December. And when I was young I rode and worked on my endro bike, keeping it together with duct tape and baling wire.
I did maintenance on my other street bikes and other minor work on them.
I do a good bit of mechanic work on classic cars and trucks, but I've NEVER done anything with a shaft drive bike. Or one with a radiator for that matter, but I only paid a hundred and a half for it, not to mention I got it from a good friend, who had at least made certian to drain all the fluids from it when he got it.
I've been having to put off working on it until I could save up some cash to do what I thought I needed to do to get back in the wind.
I've done a good bit of reading on here, reading the service manual and checking out utube videos. I've hit my first snag, and I was hoping y'all might be able to help.
I had to put a new clutch cable on and I adjusted I'm certain correctly, I haven't tried to start it until I know everything is going to be able to work.
It's in neutral and I can pull in the clutch and I can't get it to go in gear at all. Granted, there's not any oil in it, but it seems I should be able to get it in gear. And I'm wondering if possibly it would be better to pull the tranny and see what might be wrong there or as I've already said, I've never done anything on a bike with shaft drive, and I wonder if it could be something to do with it. I'm just not sure which route to go in in the morning.
Thanks for any help you can give me!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 10:36 AM

Does the shifter feel kind of sloppy, no spring tension? Could mean the internal shift rod is broken. They're somewhat fragile, one bad stomp of the foot, or falling on the left, is all it takes.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 11:28 AM
Old Fart

Garage
I honestly think you need to put in the oil and have it running to try shifting into 1st. Never a good idea to force parts to move without lubricant especially if they been sitting for a long time.
OleDirtyDoc and ubertalldude like this.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 12:28 AM

Garage
I agree with Knifemaker.

However, if your shifter returns to center, you know feels springy. Push down on it while rocking the back tire a little bit. Don't stand on it, and don't spin the tire.
Your just trying to help the dogs slide into place, being dried out isn't doing it any favors. Hopefully this will let you know without having to fill the oil.

If you do need to pull the engine and rebuild, Andrew Rothman (I think that's him) has a good set of videos on Youtube.

Edit. If the shifter doesn't return to center, pull the cover with the oil site glass and see if the spring has broken or fallen.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 10:35 AM
I'm a rider

Garage
It is operating correctly. After the bike has been put into gear once then returned to neutral it likely won’t go back into gear until the bike is started. It’s part of the neutral lockout. All VN’s do it. I can walk out to any one of my bikes and have the same effect. You should be able to bump the starter and rotate the trans enough to put it into gear one more time. After coming out of gear again, it shouldn’t go back in until started.

The long and short of it is that it’s an effect of the 3 ball bearings in the positive neutral finder hanging on until the engine rotates.
OleDirtyDoc likes this.

1981 KZ750
1988 Vulcan VN750 (red)
2005 Vulcan VN750 (silver)
(2) 1994 Vulcan VN750 (red)

Engineering solutions for the VN750 Community.

Last edited by One1; 11-07-2019 at 10:49 AM.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 11:51 AM

It should always drop into 1st.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 02:33 PM
I'm a rider

Garage
Not under those conditions it won’t. The second he bumps the starter it’ll drop into gear.

1981 KZ750
1988 Vulcan VN750 (red)

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 02:56 PM
I'm a rider

Garage
And for good measure a demo of bumping it out of the neutral lockout. Super easy to get them into lockout because of the three ball bearings, also super easy to get them out.

1981 KZ750
1988 Vulcan VN750 (red)

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 03:21 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Unable to see the video. I also recommend it have oil in it. The cheapest Walmart supertech oil will be fine for now. If you put it on the centerstand and move the rear wheel back and forth, it should easily shift through all the gears by hand. If it doesn't, something is wrong. Others will disagree with me, but IMO if you need to tear the engine down, you couldn't have picked a worse bike. This is probably the most complex motorcycle ever made. I was an auto mechanic/hot rodder/drag racer for over 36 years, and have built many racing engines (cars) mostly old school small block Chevys. I won't even attempt to work on this engine. I also rebuilt a lot of 2 stroke engines back in the '70s when I was racing MX. It was part of the deal. I would strongly suggest watching Andrew Roth's videos and giving it a lot of thought before attempting to split the cases on one of these things. If there is a mechanical problem inside, I'd part it out on eBay and get another bike. I have a 2002 Vulcan 750 I bought new wit 108,000 miles on it and a blown engine (broken rear cam chain) I never even considered trying to fix it. I bought a low mileage 1997 model, and am fixing it up and transferring all the accessories from the one with a blown engine over to it.

Link to videos https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...oth+vulcan+750

I was 60 last March. Time marches on.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by One1 View Post
Not under those conditions it wonít. The second he bumps the starter itíll drop into gear.
I've never had a problem on mine.

Jerry - Think he's going to need around 5-10mph to get into 2nd.

2003-21k mi

Sponsored Links
Advertisement