Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Clunking From Final Gear

1K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Knifemaker 
#1 ·
So I was checking my rear tire and rim to check for any warp, and I heard this. It sounds almost like a golf ball plunking around in there when spinning the rear wheel. Any ideas?

#8 ·
Definitely not riding it until I get this figured out. I have to swap out the stator, so I'll pick a day this weekend or next to disassemble and check things out.

^What they said. Could be a brake shoe. Could be those plastic triangle things. I assume it makes the same sound if you spin the wheel the other way?
I haven't actually tried spinning it the other way, but I'll give it a whirl tonight and report back.

#9 ·
Well you spun the wheel backwards. If there's a loose brake shoe, it will sound different going the other way. (More of a scraping sound than a clunking sound)

Either way you need to pull the wheel off and check everything out. The drive hub transfers power to the rear wheel by a set of "paddles" that fit into large rubber/plastic triangle shaped things that fit into the wheel itself. These can produce a clunking sound when the wheel spins which is usually drowned out when the motor is running.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.