Clutch cable question - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Transmission / Rear End
\ Chattering Clutch? Transmission Trouble?
Rear End Woes? Splines Shot? Discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

Clutch cable question

Hey folks, here’s a subject that highlights my lack of motorcycle maintenance experience. I noticed today on a short ride to a few stores that my rpms and speed weren’t exactly where I’d expect them to be, meaning normally when I accelerate from a stop, I can basically hear and feel where I would shift. If I glance at the speedo and tach they’re usually consistent. Since it rev’d a little higher than normal I realized that my clutch is slipping a little. This happened earlier in the spring and I was able to adjust it by what I’ll call dumb luck. So this time around I got it adjusted again and it was fine for a test ride. But I’m trying to understand what is wearing out here, is it my cable stretching? Or are my clutch plates starting to wear?
Here’s why I ask,
I know the line down on the shifter mechanism should be lined up, if I adjust the barrel on the midspan of the cable to get that lined up, I have no friction zone, can let the lever all the way out in gear and no engagement. If I loosen the barrel, the alignment goes off of course, but I can adjust the barrel on the handle and I’m off and running. I feel like even though it’s working, it’s not right and I don’t have much play left at the handle.
Here’s pics of my three spots
Any insight would be greatly appreciated
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9124F888-0347-4942-BBA5-D3C6673FC088_1568838819515.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	46605   Click image for larger version

Name:	F25B9305-30D5-41F4-BF1F-4C421E47A252_1568838836431.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	11.2 KB
ID:	46607   Click image for larger version

Name:	933AD2C0-8FC0-479A-A340-D1046DBF507C_1568838855144.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	12.2 KB
ID:	46609  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 06:31 PM

That mid-span adjustment is just a coarse adjustment. Had mine out of whack after some engine work, but it's been fine since. Had to use the middle, then the top. Basically, it's just fine line between slipping and not disengaging.

The alignment in the first pic is done by slipping the arm off the splines and resetting it with the gap aligned with the line on the case. Yours looks off quite bit.

Second and third pics show the adjusters taking up very little slack, so you should be able to adjust quite a bit. It's got none at the middle, and a small amount by the hand lever.

I had it to the point of pulling a bit when stopped in gear, then gave the top adjustment 1/4 to 1/2 turn counter-clockwise and it was fine. Beyond that, it would be slipping again.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spockster View Post
That mid-span adjustment is just a coarse adjustment. Had mine out of whack after some engine work, but it's been fine since. Had to use the middle, then the top. Basically, it's just fine line between slipping and not disengaging.

The alignment in the first pic is done by slipping the arm off the splines and resetting it with the gap aligned with the line on the case. Yours looks off quite bit.

Second and third pics show the adjusters taking up very little slack, so you should be able to adjust quite a bit. It's got none at the middle, and a small amount by the hand lever.

I had it to the point of pulling a bit when stopped in gear, then gave the top adjustment 1/4 to 1/2 turn counter-clockwise and it was fine. Beyond that, it would be slipping again.
Good stuff, thank you. You even answered my next question already. Was going to ask if I should just take that off arm and realign that gap first. I wasn’t sure because I was able to line it up with that mid-span adjuster and though maybe I had enough issue. I tend to overthink sh-t.
Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement