Dry friction plates? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Transmission / Rear End
\ Chattering Clutch? Transmission Trouble?
Rear End Woes? Splines Shot? Discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

Dry friction plates?

I attempted the clutch basket drill mod and failed miserably. I bought the angled filter pliers and wrapped electrical tape around the teeth. It kept slipping. Then, the teeth bit through enough to put a scratch in the basket. That's where I quit. I had also purchased the kevlar friction plates. Those were soaking in oil all day. I figured while I was in there, I might as well try that too since some had success with those. I did all of this on the side stand because I just changed my oil last week and didn't want to drain it. Here's my question, the old friction plates looked super dry when i took them out. Is that normal? I had imagined they'd be dripping with oil when I took them out. But they didn't even look coated. They literally looked dry. There is plenty of oil in it. Today is Saturday and I haven't ridden since Thursday which was about 70 miles. It's been on the side stand since then.

It wasn't a chilly day, but i test drove it after reassembly and there was no CGS. First time in a long time. It was just a clean and smooth ride. Im hoping the kevlar friction plates were all she needed. If it comes back, I'll purchase the tool that's made to hold it in place and try again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Today, 09:40 AM
Super Moderator

to remove the basket takes a 'special' tool, and a LOT of impact torque.

the tool holds the basket by 3 (or more) of the clutch bolt pillars. I forget the actual value of the tightening torque on the nut, but I believe its way over 100 ft/lbs. then they stake the nut to the shaft. to remove the nut will require enough removal torque to get past the staking of the nut, as well as the removal torque (which will be considerably less than what it takes to get past the staking, but still over 100 ft/lbs.)

as far as dry frictions, while mine where not bone dry, they where not dripping with oil either. I think its normal.

while every time I removed the clutch disks and plates and reassembled, coffee grinder was gone, it did return. HOWEVER I was NOT replacing my disks or plates. I did run the steel plates over a nice flat surface with some 800 wet/dry paper and some oil on it to break any glazing that was on them

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Today, 11:42 AM

Should be a darker color if oil soaked, lighter tan/brown color if bone dry.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement