Spline lube - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Transmission / Rear End
\ Chattering Clutch? Transmission Trouble?
Rear End Woes? Splines Shot? Discuss it here!

1Likes
  • 1 Post By kryptonianjorel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

My bike is a 86 I read that moly paste is the best for the splines. Is the hyper tec moly-lithium safe? Will it last?

Last edited by Chevy65; 01-25-2019 at 11:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy65 View Post
My bike is a 86 I read that moly paste is the best for the splines. Is the hyper tec moly-lithium safe? Will it last?
I bought some Moly 60 before it was discontinued. I'd think anything with a high moly content would be suitable
Chevy65 likes this.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 02:10 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the response. Gotta be better than metal on metal

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 10:36 AM

Wasn't sure about the lithium, but after searching around, it looks like it should be ok. The moly is the lube, which is normally a solid. The lithium, actually a soap but not a cleaner, is used as a carrier to make the moly behave as liquid, otherwise the moly would be dry.

Quote:
MOLY EP LITHIUM GREASE is a smooth textured high melting point, water resistant lithium base grease fortified with molybdenum disulfide (moly) to reduce wear by maintaining lubrication under conditions of high friction and shock loads.
Quote:
Lithium soap, often loosely referred to as "lithium grease" or "white lithium", is a soap that is a lithium derivative. Lithium soaps are primarily used as components of certain lubricant greases. ... The most useful of the non-detergent soaps are those based on lithium, as they are free of corrosive properties.
Quote:
The soap is dispersed into the oil to form a stable, viscous gel that is called a grease. Grease made with lithium soap ("lithium grease") adheres particularly well to metal, is non-corrosive, may be used under heavy loads, and exhibits good temperature tolerance.
I'm just a googler, not a petro-chemist.

I used a high moly, extreme pressure grease, as found in grease gun cartridges. That was over 6000 miles ago, still good when I checked last winter.

More searching shows some manufacturers recommending moly-lithium for drive shaft splines.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

Oh okay, so the lithium works as a base for the moly even when the lythuim burns off the molly should remain? Thanks for the personal experience and for the research, little more peace of mind knowing that I won’t be stranded because of stripped splines.

Kind on the subject- I want too grease the u-joint and the yoke splines as well. My plan was/is to put the moly lythium on the final drive side and the yoke side. I’ve got a spray can of white lythium, has anybody sprayed the u joint down with this stuff?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy65 View Post
Oh okay, so the lithium works as a base for the moly even when the lythuim burns off the molly should remain? Thanks for the personal experience and for the research, little more peace of mind knowing that I wonít be stranded because of stripped splines.

Kind on the subject- I want too grease the u-joint and the yoke splines as well. My plan was/is to put the moly lythium on the final drive side and the yoke side. Iíve got a spray can of white lythium, has anybody sprayed the u joint down with this stuff?
On the u-joint, without a zerk fitting, you can only apply it on the exterior, which would only prevent surface rust not lube the bearings at all. In the front u-joint, it would probably just spin out into the rubber boot, where it might eventually deteriorate the rubber.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 01:08 PM
Super Moderator

while lubricating the front splines (at the yoke) are not normally needed, no reason a thin coat of same grease used on the rear spline wouldn't work, if not even help. there is very little movement between the splines on the yoke and the mating splines on the bevel gear output during normal suspension movement. this is of course assuming the spring is installed in the rear spline (its job is to keep the drive shaft pushed forward)

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 02:18 PM

At the very least, any grease you use is better than no grease. Good news is an 86 would have been greased at the factory, unlike the early 2000's bikes. Does grease wear out?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

Thanks again for the helpful reply’s. Glad mine was a good year I’ve read the horror stories about no grease on the splines! Didn’t wanna be another statistic but still better safe than sorry!

So there is no way too grease the u joint or does it have a alamite on it? I got the cartridge of moly lythium so if it does I can go ahead and give it a shot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement