Weird noise from rear while turning wheel by hand - Page 2 - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Transmission / Rear End
\ Chattering Clutch? Transmission Trouble?
Rear End Woes? Splines Shot? Discuss it here!

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

My vn750 is 1995 year model and 64000km (40000 miles) on the odometer. European model.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator

actually, you CAN remove the driveshaft without pulling the engine. just need to remove the front bevel drive and then there is enough clearance to pull it out

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

Okay. I did a proper job and cleaned and greased with moly all the splines. Shaft both end. Final drive splines which points to shaft and splines which contact with rim splines. Everything. Splines are good. No dry splines. A minor 10% wearing only in rear tyre flange splines. Not a big deal. Good to go.

Cleaned all the dust, grease and dirt from rear rim and damper rubber.

No free play in final drive. Feels good.
Rim bearings both good. Grased rear axle. Everything seems to be good.

Then I turned the wheel by hand. Same rubbery sound. It is definately coming from that rubber damper.

I wonder should I grease it with silicone spray? Or silicone grease which is good for rubber?

Last edited by jalaty; 01-01-2019 at 10:08 AM.

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 12:18 PM

Very interesting! I've never heard of that going bad, but maybe it can be aligned? Exploded views here: https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/ka...ar-wheel-chain

Looks like it's a $56 part if it is in fact the rubber damper being damaged, but yeah you may have to get into it a bit more. Looks like a big snapring holds the drive portion of the damper assembly, not sure if anybody else on here has ever gotten into that assembly...
kryptonianjorel likes this.

Earshave+Rejet (38/135) NGK Iridiums MCCT Conversion Slipstreamer S03 Windshield Custom Extended Backrest Custom Highway Bars MOSFET R/R LED Underglow Volt+USB In-Dash Two-Wire & Blue-Wire Mod Satin Black Engine Paint Dampers Parts - Jets: Main=99101-393(#132 stock)/Pilot=n424-22 Pilot(#38 stock)
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 12:22 PM
Super Moderator

a very thin film of moly is ok on the rubber damper, too much will just fling off and make a mess

however, there is very little movement between the final drive and the rubber damper. not enough to hear/feel when turning wheel by hand.

how where the rear brakes?? about the only thing other than the driveshaft splines that would make noise every revolution or so of the rear wheel

you didnt by chance take pics of the splines when you had it apart did you?

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17

Last edited by michiganteddybear; 01-01-2019 at 12:24 PM.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

The rubber damper was not damaged. I think it maybe stick and then release when I rotate rear wheel.

This was the only similar kind of topic I found and it is written in 2009.

https://www.vn750.com/forum/27-wheel...#/topics/10517

And yes. I happened to take some pics of all splines (except the front ones of drive shaft) since I have blog related to old motorcycle maintenance topics. It is written in Finnish but you can see the photos there. Splines are dirty there but you can see the condition. The cleaning and regreasing with honda moly was so dirty job that I didn't want to touch my cell phone for taking pics.

https://tuumaustauko.blogspot.com/20...tarkistus.html

I have had a bunch of Honda CX500, CX650 and GoldWing bikes. Also couple of Honda Shadows and few maxiscooters.

This is my first Kawasaki and it had 5000 rpm stumbling problem when I bought it. I wrote another topic for it as my first posting here in this great forum.

https://www.vn750.com/forum/22-carbs...ose-weird.html

It has been great journey to go thru this bike and to get it fixed and to see how great community you have here in this forum.

Now back to this issue. I will go and remove the rear wheel again and grease slightly the damper. I'll let you know if it helped.
kryptonianjorel likes this.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

I fixed it. So it really was the rubber damper sticking and releasing it self. A little bit grease everywhere where was metal and rubber mating surfaces helped. No more noise.

I'm glad I did this operation. Now I know the condition of my final drive and rear wheel

Sadly no driving for a while. It's snowing 20 centimeters snow in next 12 hours here in Finland.

kryptonianjorel and Thorn like this.

Last edited by jalaty; 01-01-2019 at 05:07 PM.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 09:16 AM

Those pics are great, thanks for including a link, and glad to hear greasing it helped! I've had the wheel off a few times but never thought to look at the damper assembly in there, good to know it can be serviced (somewhat)

Earshave+Rejet (38/135) NGK Iridiums MCCT Conversion Slipstreamer S03 Windshield Custom Extended Backrest Custom Highway Bars MOSFET R/R LED Underglow Volt+USB In-Dash Two-Wire & Blue-Wire Mod Satin Black Engine Paint Dampers Parts - Jets: Main=99101-393(#132 stock)/Pilot=n424-22 Pilot(#38 stock)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement