Clutch slipping problems! - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Transmission / Rear End
\ Chattering Clutch? Transmission Trouble?
Rear End Woes? Splines Shot? Discuss it here!

 1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-15-2018, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 19
iTrader: (0)
 
Garage
Hey y'all my 2003 vulcan is having some clutch slipping problems. Ive noticed that whenever it happens the clutch lever has a lot more play in it than normal and i cant accelerate. If i try it just slips and revs the engine. So my question is should i lube the cable? If yes, what should i use? Or should i just replace it. If yes please give me your suggestions on cable brands that might hold up better than stock.
Thanks everyone!

Last edited by raptor093; 09-15-2018 at 10:41 PM.
raptor093 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-15-2018, 11:26 PM
GDI
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 170
iTrader: (0)
 
Can't say for sure, but what you're describing would be consistent with a frayed clutch cable that is just about to give out.

When are you noticing the slipping? Does it matter what gear you're in? Normally when the clutch itself goes bad you don't notice any difference in the lower gears (at first anyway). It'll slip at first in 4th or 5th gear.

If it is just the cable, I would go with stock. That's what I did with mine when the adjuster nut broke. Only reason I'd go with aftermarket is if I happened to find a good deal or if I was gonna change out the bars and needed more length or something.

GDI
GDI is offline  
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 12:47 PM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
 
OleDirtyDoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Norwich,NY
Posts: 15,873
iTrader: (0)
     
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to OleDirtyDoc
Are you using motorcycle specific oil?

Sent from my Z899VL using Tapatalk
GDI likes this.

ONE RATS ASS GIVEN PER POST
Support your local FREEBIRDS MC
1986/5 Vn700/750 Frankenfook cross eyed bitch "Mellisa Fayhe"
I am a BIKER and i'm proud.FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

lowered with progessive 412 10" shocks
rejetted for K/N Pods part#rc 2340
sportster seat

'I didn't lose my mind.i gave it away

BRING BACK WOLFIE."Peace and Carrots"RIP
"And I'm free...as a bird"John Lennon Free as a Bird
"I only carry when I have my pants on"Joe Robinson RIP aka Old Dog
OleDirtyDoc is offline  
 
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 19
iTrader: (0)
 
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleDirtyDoc View Post
Are you using motorcycle specific oil?

Sent from my Z899VL using Tapatalk
yes I am. I'm using valvoline 10w-40, 4 stroke, wet clutch motorcycle oil
raptor093 is offline  
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 19
iTrader: (0)
 
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDI View Post
Can't say for sure, but what you're describing would be consistent with a frayed clutch cable that is just about to give out.

When are you noticing the slipping? Does it matter what gear you're in? Normally when the clutch itself goes bad you don't notice any difference in the lower gears (at first anyway). It'll slip at first in 4th or 5th gear.

If it is just the cable, I would go with stock. That's what I did with mine when the adjuster nut broke. Only reason I'd go with aftermarket is if I happened to find a good deal or if I was gonna change out the bars and needed more length or something.

GDI
When it happens it normally happens in all 5 gears. But is only really noticeable in the higher rpm range or when you try to accelerate. (like merging onto a 65 mph highway)
raptor093 is offline  
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 01:55 PM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
 
OleDirtyDoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Norwich,NY
Posts: 15,873
iTrader: (0)
     
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to OleDirtyDoc
Check your adjustment and cable. If you have no more room for adjustment you can pull the arm that the cable fits into and move it one spline on the shaft and get a few more miles our of it

Sent from my Z899VL using Tapatalk

ONE RATS ASS GIVEN PER POST
Support your local FREEBIRDS MC
1986/5 Vn700/750 Frankenfook cross eyed bitch "Mellisa Fayhe"
I am a BIKER and i'm proud.FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

lowered with progessive 412 10" shocks
rejetted for K/N Pods part#rc 2340
sportster seat

'I didn't lose my mind.i gave it away

BRING BACK WOLFIE."Peace and Carrots"RIP
"And I'm free...as a bird"John Lennon Free as a Bird
"I only carry when I have my pants on"Joe Robinson RIP aka Old Dog
OleDirtyDoc is offline  
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 19
iTrader: (0)
 
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleDirtyDoc View Post
Check your adjustment and cable. If you have no more room for adjustment you can pull the arm that the cable fits into and move it one spline on the shaft and get a few more miles our of it

Sent from my Z899VL using Tapatalk
my brother recently helped me adjust it out and from what I remember its already at its farthest point so no more regular adjustment for it right now. would it be better to replace the cable at this point?
raptor093 is offline  
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 02:01 PM
Old Fart
 
Knifemaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Catawissa, MO
Posts: 11,603
iTrader: (4)
     
Garage
GDI wrote - "Can't say for sure, but what you're describing would be consistent with a frayed clutch cable that is just about to give out."


This was my thought too. The lever play shouldn't change unless something is binding up somewhere. Had the same issue myself....and 20 miles later the cable broke. Lotsa fun riding 40 miles home, in the rain, through traffic, without a clutch

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
Knifemaker is offline  
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 19
iTrader: (0)
 
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
GDI wrote - "Can't say for sure, but what you're describing would be consistent with a frayed clutch cable that is just about to give out."


This was my thought too. The lever play shouldn't change unless something is binding up somewhere. Had the same issue myself....and 20 miles later the cable broke. Lotsa fun riding 40 miles home, in the rain, through traffic, without a clutch
so it shouldn't be the clutch itself right? this should just be a cable issue?
raptor093 is offline  
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 02:43 PM
Old Fart
 
Knifemaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Catawissa, MO
Posts: 11,603
iTrader: (4)
     
Garage
Well hopefully. I'd check there first. There could be something binding somewhere farther down but you have to eliminate the cable before you go further.
The clutch cable ends at another lever on the motor. There's a spring there, and of course there are the springs in the clutch plates. Far more likely the cable is faulty before those others fail....

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
Knifemaker is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Once registered, your User Name"cannot be changed". We can make exceptions within 7 days, but after that, it is set in stone.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome