I broke the shifter shaft HELP! - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Transmission / Rear End
\ Chattering Clutch? Transmission Trouble?
Rear End Woes? Splines Shot? Discuss it here!

12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy I broke the shifter shaft HELP!

Hey guys, thank you for all the great resources. I am really new to motorcycles. I bought a VN750 1994, it did not work but so far i put in a new battery, replaced a blown fuse, managed to get it started by spraying some starter fluid but then it stopped working and i had fuel leaking from petcock pipes coz they were all bent, and in the midst of it all i broke the shifter shaft, now i am panicking. i bought some JB weld and put that on just now to try and see if this will hold but i think i will have to eventually change the part.

i found the shifter shaft of an 87 on ebay and was ready to buy it but I cant figure out if it will fit my bike
i consulted a site but i don't see "shifter shaft" anywhere

here is the link to the part

eBay item number:173157321373

i did art to show where i broke and the gear arm fell off and this part looks pretty close to the one i broke. I can attach more pictures of my bike and things if that'll be helpful. I'd appreciate any and all help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shifter.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	43953  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018, 04:33 PM

Garage
I think your referring to this part? The first on the list.
gear-change-mechanism

or is it where the clutch cable connects, behind your foot?

If it's the first part I have some bad news for you, the case has to be split to change the shaft. That being said I have seen guys on here talk about welding broken gear shafts up. I don't know it is the same part but if you know somebody maybe the can blag it together for you.

if it's the shaft behind your foot where the clutch cable goes, the one in the ebay link, it's easy to change. just pull one bolt and slide it out.
front-bevel-gear #13106
Shah750vn likes this.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018, 06:03 PM

I'd be really surprised if JB Weld holds it. Too much stress on the part. Could be welded though.

That ebay item is the shaft that the clutch lever/cable connects to on the bevel gear housing, it's not the shifter shaft as they have it titled.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018, 11:18 PM Thread Starter

hey Thank you guys so much for replying, means a lot! from the picture the part seems to be 13161, so i guess i do need it to be welded for which transportation might be an issue, or splitting the case and replacing which i have no idea if that is a good idea for me. i feared that much and thats why i was holding off on the oil change. Do you guys think i have a shot at changing this myself? how much could this cost to get done reasonably ? was really hoping to try and ride a little bit this week, the weather was finally getting better here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-04-29 at 11.12.20 PM.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	9.5 KB
ID:	43961  
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018, 11:41 PM
GDI

If it was me, I would weld the shifter to the shaft. You can always cut it off later, and have it re-welded or repaired. Splitting the cases would be a last resort. I've never attempted anything like that, and I don't think I'd want to try it. Paying for someone else to do it wouldn't be cheap, either.

Do you have any idea how it broke off? That seems kind of strange. . . .

GDI
Thorn, WilliamTech3 and Shah750vn like this.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 02:11 AM

Garage
I'll also say "yeah, get that welded". Splitting the case is a big project! Probably wouldn't actually weld the lever onto the shaft since you'd have to cut and re-weld the shaft any time you needed to get the cover off.
Also curious how the very tip got broken off. Probably a good story there.
WilliamTech3 likes this.

1992 US-nonCA * tuxedo mod * r/r relocated

Vulcan slang for newcomers
Service Manual Download
Wiring Diagram + annotations * still undergoing revisions, but still more useful than the generic one. Let me know if you find mistakes or think something additional should be added
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

Hahahhaa I’m so sorry to disappoint Guys but while I was changing the battery and the blown fuse, it was my dumbass who tried to put the bike in neutral and BaM the lever came right off along with the broken piece stuck in there. Ya I’m gonna either buy a weld gun or beg someone to come by to do it for cheap, I’ll
Update on that and how JB weld is doing
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 11:32 AM

Garage
Ah well. *laugh*
Anyway, you might be able to limp along using the half - splines that are left on the shaft, but I wouldn't really trust it to be secure. The last thing you want is to have the shifter fall off mid-ride! The JB probably isn't doing anything for you.

1992 US-nonCA * tuxedo mod * r/r relocated

Vulcan slang for newcomers
Service Manual Download
Wiring Diagram + annotations * still undergoing revisions, but still more useful than the generic one. Let me know if you find mistakes or think something additional should be added
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 11:42 AM

Garage
Splitting the case cost about $200ish, I don't recommend it for any non-mechanic. yeah JB is good, but not for things like that. the line you drew on the first pic is where the bolt goes that secures the shifter, like Thorn says you can try to use just the half splines. You might also be able to drill into the shaft and tap it for a bolt however it would be kinda small.

if you get another shaft, cut it just to the engine side of the splines and cut your busted one at the same spot and weld away. Good Luck
Thorn likes this.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 11:45 AM

Any muffler shops nearby? A couple of zaps with a MIG should hold without making enough heat to roast the shaft seal.

Vise-grips in place of the shifter might help you ride it there. Just don't smash the splines.

edit: A wet rag around the shaft can keep the heat from getting to the seal.
Thorn and Shah750vn like this.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf

Last edited by Spockster; 04-30-2018 at 11:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement