Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

robocop

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Knifemaker 
#1 ·
Got lucky and found knee and elbow guards from a local add.com. They are
ICON field armour garments you put underneath ( or over ) your pants and sweather. Man o'man i put them on and i feel like robocop.
After a half hour, it sort of blend on me and they ( elbow and knee, both sides ) were no longer a robotic reminder. Do not knoe much to say about it but I paid 75.00$ for a 250.00$ worth of merchandise that is brand new, never used.
I wear a leather jacket and leather booths and gloves when i bike, so i tought it may be an alternative to buying leather pants. By the way the knee guards are way down to the ankle.

Your thoughts

#6 ·
I wonder if those knee/shin guards would have saved me from the broken leg, or even lessened the seriousness of it, in my accident in June 2008 when I drageed my leg for 50 feet along the solid steel guard rail?

I figure my high topped riding boots and leather chaps are the reason I still have my lower left leg at all today.

#8 ·
Much like a helmet, some armor is better than no armor. ;)

I've tried the "under armor" and found it effective, but hot. It does have the advantage of staying in place alot better than armor simply sewn into pants or jackets.

It is great to wear under leather pants than don't have armor in them. It be hard to say how effective it would have been in any specific accident but you're generally going to be better off hitting something hard wearing armor compared to not. I've seen no data suggesting it would make things worse.

When a body falls, those "pointy" parts of the body tend to suffer the brunt of an impact.....elbows, knees, shoulders, and feet. Normally feet don't have that much mass but hit a heel the wrong way and its not hard to break an ankle.

Your shoulder, and elbows can have the mass of your body right behind them, so armor will help prevent damage to them up to the point that impact pressure overwhelms any padding and things break. Having you weight over a part that's twisted the wrong way can cause bones to break with little force, so armor might not provide much assistance in preventing this.

As I've said before...You can't pick your accident. You can only try to beat the odds of damaging important parts of your body by trying to protect them the best you can....and as much as you are comfortable with.

I always wear an armored jacket and gloves. Always a full face helmet. I wear armored pants at least 80% of the time. I think if I owned some of those under armor knee pad things I'd be more likely to wear them when I just want to wear jeans....which would increase that 80% to 100.

So for that I'd say they good things to have.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.