Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

CA Emissions

4K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  knicol 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, I've been contemplating removing the CA emissions stuff from my bike. I'm worried its possible things aren't venting correctly through it. I've done my searching, and it seems like a fairly large undertaking.

My questions is, on the two hoses that are running out of the tank, could I just replace those hoses to and run them to to bottom of the bike to bypass the ca emissions stuff? Or do I need to do the full removal?

I'm not a mechanic by any means and I didn't know where half of the stuff they were mentioning in the posts were. I followed the cables coming out of the bike from the tank, one goes to the small box in front of the battery and one goes to the cylinder looking thing in front of the bike. I don't even know how I'd get to the one in front of the battery. I tried removing the coolant reservoir and couldn't even figure that out. This exercise has made me realize how far off from being able to work on my bike I am. My rebel was no big thing, (not to mention there were tons of work throughs with pictures I could follow. Did I mention I'm more of a picture book guy than novel guy when it comes to this stuff?) everything was just out in the open and relatively easy to get to. All I had to do to remove its emissions was take the vent hose from the tank and remove it from the emissions.

Thanks in advance

See less See more
#2 ·
Its really not that hard...pull the tank, seat, and existing "ears"...all will be visible then...and you can plug instead of remove also, to keep the look that its still intact....

Search "marbelling", and "earshave"...brother Tanner could prolly help ya better with the Cali stuff than me...in NY, we just strip it all off, lol...

#3 ·
rip it all out and just leave the two vent tubes through their nice little holes in the frame under the seat and let them hang in the breeze, man. The coolant reservoir has one bolt that comes out and then it just pops off like a side cover and then you should be able to reach in there and just pull the emissions junk out. That's all I did. If u wanna chop out your surge box, just be careful not to cut your wiring at all. Happy ripping!

#4 ·
btw, it won't pass emissions after you do that! We don't have emissions check here in northern AZ so it was no big deal to just rip it out

#5 ·
There I'd no emissions check in CA either, which is nice. :)

#6 ·
I would rip everything off. I did. Somehow even in NM I wound up with a CA model. I removed all the stuff behind the swingarm, and the whole air injection system. Bike runs great. The two hoses you are talking about can just be left open no problems. If you remove everything, you will need to plug off the reed valve fittings, plug 2 holes in the airbox, and plug the vacuum fitting to the carb. While you are at it, take the gas cap apart and remove everything in there. That stuff will definitely cause venting problems.

#8 ·
While you are at it, take the gas cap apart and remove everything in there. That stuff will definitely cause venting problems.
There are things in the gas cap to remove? Are there any pics or instructions on how to do this?
I did the whole Ear Shave and removal of the CA emissions. I read on another post that you should run a hose off the left tank port, and cap the right tank port. The bike runs great, except trying to start after the bike being warm/hot. It struggles to start and then backfires loudly. After the backfire, it tends to start right up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.