Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

New way to glue grips

2K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  JCee 
#1 ·
When installing my new grips yesterday, I came across yet a new way to do it that works great. Previously, I've always used 3M Trim Adhesive (AKA Gorilla Snot). I've also heard of using hairspray and other adhesives. The EMGO grips instructions suggested using rubber cement (like you get from Walmart, Office Depot, etc). I happen to have some so I gave it a shot. It worked great. I brushed some inside the grips, and they slid right on. Within 10 minutes, it was dry and the grips were good and tight.

#2 ·
Nice tip. I wonder how hard removal is? With hair spray, some compressed air or some water gets them to slip right off.

#5 ·
I got a reverse question: If the non-throttle grip over time has come off about an inch, how to get them back on? It seems impossible to move.

#6 ·
If you can't muscle it back, try taking some compressed air and popping it under the edge of the grip. That will help remove it, and then just use some rubber cement as noted to re-seat it, or even hairspray.

#12 ·
Guess it depends on the style of grip too. Moulded rubber grips have a harder time slipping it seems. Metal grips with rubber inserts inherently have more movement because they have more parts. Micro movements caused by vibration will break the adhesive free.

After i got my kury grips i havent had them slip on me once.

#14 ·
I bought a set of grips when I bought the bike and used the grip glue that came with them on the left side, and so far it hasn't moved. I know it's going to be major surgery to get it off when I need to replace them. The right side I had to buy another barrel because when I tried to get the grip on it busted the plastic all to pieces.
I'm going to hunt around and find a metal barrel to replace it when I do replace the grips.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.