Air Filter Mystery Components - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Air Filter Mystery Components

Fellow Vulcaneers --

I removed the air filter assembly and found a retangular piece of foam folded in half and placed behind the filter element (see attached photo). This extra foam is not shown in the Clymer manual. Does anyone have any idea what this is or what purpose it might serve? Do I need to replace this when I replace the air filter elements?

The extra piece of foam appears to be the exact same material as the foam on the filter element (see attached photo). Does this look like some kind of home-made filter element or is this how the normal stock filter element looks? I have some new carb air filters on order, so I don't know how they are supposed to look.

Also, a mystery grommet (see attached photo with penny for size scale) fell out when I removed the left side air filter assembly. In looking through the Clymer, I think it might be a grommet used where the fuel tank attaches. Does anyone know what this mystery grommet is?

The large rubber air duct on the left side was not attached at all to the surge tank. When I removed the last 2 screws holding the air filter housing the whole thing simply fell off! Talk about an air leak Does this mean the engine was taking in unfiltered air? The right side was securely attached both to the air filter housing as well as to the surge tank. It was "fun" reconnecting the air ducts but a bit of silicone helped quite a bit!

Last edited by FlaRider; 04-12-2009 at 08:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009, 09:42 PM
The Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaRider View Post
Fellow Vulcaneers --

I removed the air filter assembly and found a retangular piece of foam folded in half and placed behind the filter element (see attached photo). This extra foam is not shown in the Clymer manual. Does anyone have any idea what this is or what purpose it might serve? Do I need to replace this when I replace the air filter elements?

The extra piece of foam appears to be the exact same material as the foam on the filter element (see attached photo). Does this look like some kind of home-made filter element or is this how the normal stock filter element looks? I have some new carb air filters on order, so I don't know how they are supposed to look.

Also, a mystery grommet (see attached photo with penny for size scale) fell out when I removed the left side air filter assembly. In looking through the Clymer, I think it might be a grommet used where the fuel tank attaches. Does anyone know what this mystery grommet is?

The large rubber air duct on the left side was not attached at all to the surge tank. When I removed the last 2 screws holding the air filter housing the whole thing simply fell off! Talk about an air leak Does this mean the engine was taking in unfiltered air? The right side was securely attached both to the air filter housing as well as to the surge tank. It was "fun" reconnecting the air ducts but a bit of silicone helped quite a bit!

The PO made his own filters, the rubber grommet is an inner fuel tank mount grommet.

85 VN700 "Old Yella"

REBUILT ENGINE
CUSTOM PAINT
VANCE & HINES CRUZERS
EAR SHAVED AND RE-JETTED W/K&N'S
DUNLOP ELITE K591 FRONT & REAR
VOLTMETER
SYNTHETIC BRAKE FLUID
SYNTHETIC OIL & GEAR LUBE
PLEXISTAR 2 WINDSHIELD
SPLINES LUBED
ACCT'S GREASED W/TOC SPRINGS
COASTERD
LEATHER SADDLE BAGS
LEATHER TOOL AND ROLL BAG
PICKUP COILS GAPPED AT .018"
NGK CAP, WIRES, IRIDUMS
BARNETT FRICTION PLATES & SPRINGS
CUSTOM GRIPS, MIRRORS, LEVERS
ORIGINAL STATOR & R/R 14.5v
DEKA MF AGM ETX15L

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 05:23 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

+1 what Lance said.

Home made piece of filter; doesn't belong in there.

Fuel tank grommet.

And yes, the open tube you had on the one side was drawing in unfiltered air.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 01:07 PM

that grommit came from the fuel tank mount... you might want to check that the mounting bolt is still there...
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 07:29 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Redneck engineering at its finest!!!

Jim W
93 VN 750 "Ursula"
Moved R/R 08Sep06
R/R rewire 17Feb07
New R/R, Installed 14Jun08
New Stator installed 10 Jun08
Maintenance Free Battery 12Jan08
21480 Miles
VROC #8542
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Rider View Post
Redneck engineering at its finest!!!
Prof Lance, 750 Doug, Big Repp, Sky Rider --

Thanx to each of you for your input! I bet the huge leak from the unattached rubber boot contributed to my carb restriction problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement