does my carbs needs to be tuned? - Page 3 - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-23-2017, 12:14 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spockster View Post
Sounds like a stuck float, or float height set too high.
it was. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-23-2017, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltiti21 View Post
issue fix, took the carbs out again the needle from the incoming fuel was stuck open. with all the parts on the carbs new bike rides a bit smooth. but still back firing on front cylinder when dec, way less now but still does,
sweet you got it running (mostly) right!

just fiddle with the settings on the idle mixture screws to help with the popping. I believe one usually likes to be richer than the other, so an extra 1/4 turn counterclockwise or so usually does the trick

Earshave+Rejet (38/135) NGK Iridiums MCCT Conversion Slipstreamer S03 Windshield Custom Extended Backrest Custom Highway Bars MOSFET R/R LED Underglow Volt+USB In-Dash Two-Wire & Blue-Wire Mod Satin Black Engine Paint Dampers Parts - Jets: Main=99101-393(#132 stock)/Pilot=n424-22 Pilot(#38 stock)

Last edited by ubertalldude; 10-23-2017 at 03:48 PM. Reason: "front richer than the front" makes no sense
post #23 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-23-2017, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubertalldude View Post
sweet you got it running (mostly) right!

just fiddle with the settings on the idle mixture screws to help with the popping. I believe the front one usually wants to be a little richer than the front, so an extra 1/4 turn counterclockwise or so usually does the trick
thanks for that tip, i will try it, i though they needed to be the same, but if not i will try to tune them different. its good to hear from people with experiences, best thing i did was join this forum.
Thorn and ubertalldude like this.

post #24 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-23-2017, 03:51 PM

I may have gotten 'em mixed up, but yeah one is usually a little richer than the other, whichever one seems to be popping is the lean one typically.

Always glad to help! I just put nearly 500 miles in this weekend on mine without anything major, just a touchup on the idle set screw when the temperature changed. You're right, this site is a lifesaver, and these bikes are well worth the trouble!

Earshave+Rejet (38/135) NGK Iridiums MCCT Conversion Slipstreamer S03 Windshield Custom Extended Backrest Custom Highway Bars MOSFET R/R LED Underglow Volt+USB In-Dash Two-Wire & Blue-Wire Mod Satin Black Engine Paint Dampers Parts - Jets: Main=99101-393(#132 stock)/Pilot=n424-22 Pilot(#38 stock)
post #25 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
alright she is running kind of normal but i feel that she is a little to short of gas still. so i have a couple question:

1-) what if i turn out too much the idle screw? because mines is like 4 turns and still running like crap, she pulls but keep doing backfires when dec, coastering enriches are new. she hesitates around 3.5-4.5 k RPM on light throttle. when was at 3 1/4 turn was less and ran a bit better.

2-) what if i only change the pilot jets? only ordered pilot jet stock 38, ordered some 40 main stay stock 132.

note: bike has K&N PODs installed, and goat belly as well, no exhaust muffler on, its open after goat belly.
thanks
post #26 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 03:27 PM

4 turns is a lot, I would bring them back in after you get the pilot jets.

It probably needs a larger pilot, the hesitation could be a bad transition from the pilot to main. Check the color on the spark plugs. If they're a bit gray, not white, the 40 pilot could do it. If the plugs are quite a bit white looking, a 42 pilot might be needed. Also if the plugs are more on the black side, go with the 40.

With that pipe setup, the exhaust is short and wide open, so it's lean. However, it may pop at least some no matter what tuning is done.

Did the carb bodies get cleaned well when they were apart? I don't know any way to test the coast enrichers, but a plugged passage is as good as a stuck/blown enricher.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #27 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

Garage
i just ordered some 135 for the mains, set up will be pilot jet 40 and main jet 135, lets see how it behave
OleDirtyDoc likes this.
post #28 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 12:00 AM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to OleDirtyDoc
that's a good start,as you are in uncharted territory with the goats belly with no mufflers, as most either remove the belly and add different mufflers or add different mufflers with the goats belly, or an aftermarket exhaust like the Vance and Hines cruzers

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

ONE RATS ASS GIVEN PER POST
Support your local FREEBIRDS MC
1986/5 Vn700/750 Frankenfook cross eyed bitch "Mellisa Fayhe"
I am a BIKER and i'm proud.FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

lowered with progessive 412 10" shocks
rejetted for K/N Pods part#rc 2340
sportster seat

'I didn't lose my mind.i gave it away

BRING BACK WOLFIE."Peace and Carrots"RIP
"And I'm free...as a bird"John Lennon Free as a Bird
"I only carry when I have my pants on"Joe Robinson RIP aka Old Dog
post #29 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-05-2017, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

Garage
both jets are installed now and bike runs way better, pulls better now and doesnt backfire now when dec, only on the range of 1k-2k when dec, still if you acc really hard and then let go around 4k still feels like hesitating if you keep light throttle.
Do i need bigger main jet?

03 vulcan 750, 6,6k on the clock.
Let's make it happen.
post #30 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-05-2017, 11:01 PM

Could try shimming the slide needles before going to larger mains, might be enough.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement